Past players - >>> 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Valenti worth promoting at years end?

I think if you'd asked everyone 6 weeks ago it would've seemed like a given that he would be. Not that it's exactly a suprise to anyone, but the last 2 weeks have really made everyone body sit up at how god damn slow we are.

If we've got a fully fit team next year, is there room for Valenti if we've already got McLean, Jones, Junior, Moloney in the side?

I'm undecided myself. He's shown plenty, but whether that's better then the other guys i've mentioned is where i'm not sure and we are quite likely to be stuggling to find players to get rid of to make room for draftees.

I think if you'd asked everyone 6 weeks ago it would've seemed like a given that he would be. Not that it's exactly a suprise to anyone, but the last 2 weeks have really made everyone body sit up at how god damn slow we are.

If we've got a fully fit team next year, is there room for Valenti if we've already got McLean, Jones, Junior, Moloney in the side?

I'm undecided myself. He's shown plenty, but whether that's better then the other guys i've mentioned is where i'm not sure and we are quite likely to be stuggling to find players to get rid of to make room for draftees.

I've stated it in another thread, but I don't feel he's in our best 22 with a full complement of midfielders. I think some of our other young and developing midfielders are also just ahead of him as well. In saying that, he's a very handy depth player and will continue to get some opportunities with our injury prone list.

For now, no, I wouldn't promote him.

Re: 41. Nathan Carroll

I, with most others I would assume, would look at either trading or delisting Carroll at the end of the year. With Rivers, Garland, Martin, Frawley and Warnock we're not exactly stretched for tall backs (for once).

At least he has a better haircut now. :thumbsu:

If he doesn't get elevated I can understand his frustration because he has certainly done more this year than a fair few on our main list. He would only get promoted after all options are explored else where first I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's on our rookie list, seen as a KPF/KPD with the ability to play in the ruck, has had a bad run with injuries and colds this year, about halfway through the year he had a very bad cold and lost quite a few kgs.
Worth persisting with next year.

On a side note, he's a funny looking kid.

2004 - Phil Read + finals
2005 - Phil Read + finals
2006 - Phil Read + finals
2007 - No Phil Read = slopfest
2008 - No Phil Read = slopfest

Played 1 game for the Geelong 2's and look how well they've done since. Enough said.

He deserves it, however if the list management team are smart it won't happen.
He'd be on the extended bench every week but probably wouldn't make the final team, it's cheaper and easier to keep him on the rookie list and promote him at the end of next year.
Looking at it properly, if we promote him it means that we lose a pick in the main draft and then have to use one in the rookie draft, remembering that the rookie draft is all the kids that have been missed in the main draft.

However that said, if we promoted Jace Bode, Valenti being promoted should be a shoe in...

Re: 45. Matthew Whelan

I thought the way he slotted back in the side later this year was impressive. Tough, great under pressure. 29 in November but still gets around like the Wrecker of old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back