Delisted Mitchell Golby (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Golby's game against WC was much better than his Rising Star nomination game. He continually found himself in the right spot, and had a lot of telling possessions breaking away from congestion. He was able to use his pace more, finding space and dlivering without pressure. Based on that, I am liking him a lot more in the midfield.

Match Review Panel

Contact between the Brisbane Lions' Mitch Golby and umpire Ben Ryan from the end of the third quarter of Sunday's match was assessed. Golby briefly put his hand on umpire Ryan's shirt sleeve when talking to him at the end of the quarter. The umpire did not pay a free kick for the contact and did not report the contact occurring, as part of his review of the game, saying the conversation between the pair was cordial at all times. It was the view of the panel the contact made by Golby did not interfere with the umpire performing his duties. The assessment of the panel was that there was minimal to negligible contact and the action was not in any way demonstrative or threatening towards the umpire. No further action was taken.

7344452902_02c654861f.jpg

Mitch's improvement is evident in each game he is playing becoming more compossed and his decision making is better as well.

Stepping up
Matthew Lloyd
June 2, 2012

Here are my big improvers of 2012 to this point of the season:

Brisbane Lions: Mitch Golby. The 20-year-old from Gippsland Power has played every game this season after playing eight last year in his debut season. Playing off half-back, Golby has been instrumental in the Lions' wins this season as he reads the play so well and never panics.

7345745278_1589bf3382.jpg

video: Gary O'Donnell

Whose progress have you been most impressed with?

Mitch Golby who won a rising star nomination. He's had a pretty solid year. He's been really good for us.

7365576652_2e66fde9f0.jpg

When I rewatched the win over the Eagles, I was dazzled by that bit of defensive quick thinking by Golby on West Coast's final charge down field. Had to rewind that and rewatch about 5 times.

Incredibly quick thinking under immense pressure to tap it to McKeever and then quickly break for space to get it back.

God I was relieved McKeever was on the same page when Golby pulled that off though.

He'll have trouble beating a few but I think top 5 in the NAB rising star would be a great result from a former rookie.

When I rewatched the win over the Eagles, I was dazzled by that bit of defensive quick thinking by Golby on West Coast's final charge down field. Had to rewind that and rewatch about 5 times.

Incredibly quick thinking under immense pressure to tap it to McKeever and then quickly break for space to get it back.

God I was relieved McKeever was on the same page when Golby pulled that off though.

Absolutely.

That's the kind of thing that if Matty Scarlett or Dustin Fletcher had done, would be replayed about twenty times during the week as an example of what great players they are. Wise heads would solemnly state 'that's the value of experience' and so forth.

He's having to learn very quickly to be a leader down back.

Just read the following:
Mitch Golby, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with a first offence for making negligent contact with an umpire (Troy Pannell) during the first quarter of the round 12 match between the Brisbane Lions and Hawthorn, played at the MCG on Sunday June 17, 2012.

In summary, he can accept a $900 sanction with an early plea.

A first offence for negligent contact with an umpire is a $1200 sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to a $900 sanction.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138857/default.aspx
I didnt see it personally, but I did see a Hawks player make front on contact with his hand to an umpire after having a discussion with him, and theres no mention of a fine for them...

A first offence for negligent contact with an umpire is a $1200 sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to a $900 sanction.
I didnt see it personally, but I did see a Hawks player make front on contact with his hand to an umpire after having a discussion with him, and theres no mention of a fine for them...

True, but Golby also contacted the umpire in a similar way to this Hawthorn player in the WC game and he wssn't charged for that one, because it was civil and in the context of the conversation that they were having.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read the following:
Mitch Golby, Brisbas, has been charged with a first offence for making negligent contact with an umpire (Troy Pannell) during the first quarter of the round 12 match between the Brisbane Lions and Hawthorn, played at the MCG on Sunday June 17, 2012.

In summary, he can accept a $900 sanction with an early plea.

If it is the incident i think it was - the umpire got bowled over and ended up on his bum. Didn't see who did it but saw him hit the ground. Thought at the time - someones in trouble.

He'll have trouble beating a few but I think top 5 in the NAB rising star would be a great result from a former rookie.

Top 5 would be a great result. It will be hard to displace a GWS player as one of them will have it sown up already. For a young player the thing that impresses me is not the games when we have won it is more how he has played in the games when we have lost. His composure just stands out, not bad as we have been under the pump a fair bit. I would like to see him play more in the midfield, is he a chance after another few seasons?

Top 5 would be a great result. It will be hard to displace a GWS player as one of them will have it sown up already. For a young player the thing that impresses me is not the games when we have won it is more how he has played in the games when we have lost. His composure just stands out, not bad as we have been under the pump a fair bit. I would like to see him play more in the midfield, is he a chance after another few seasons?

Sam Mitchell 2.0:thumbsu:

Mitch Golby, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with a first offence for making negligent contact with an umpire (Troy Pannell) during the first quarter of the round 12 match between the Brisbane Lions and Hawthorn, played at the MCG on Sunday June 17, 2012. In summary, he can accept a $900 sanction with an early plea. A first offence for negligent contact with an umpire is a $1200 sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to a $900 sanction.

Mods if you could tidy that up it would be much appreciated.

Young gun Golby

golby_handball2-c.jpg

Even now, Golby’s enormous contribution to the Brisbane Lions in 2012 still often goes unnoticed by those outside of the Club and its fans.

Most fans would agree that the former Rookie has been the Lions’ most improved player, considering he’s played in every senior match so far this season and established a position among the tight-knit back six.

It's really hard not to get excited about our list coming through. Harwood, Golby, Green are showing that they can be genuine stars in their own right. My pre-season thoughts were that our list lacked some genuine star potential - but the kids are proving me wrong.

Always seems to make the right decision with ball in hand. Never rushed and always composed, remarkable for a player of his experience. His performance level has been so consistent I have to remind myself how young he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back