Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Very happy with this pick! Crouch Jr. is a ball magnet and you cannot teach that! Love the fact he is a left footer. At 23 you are not going to get a player without flaws. Matt obviously needs to work on a few things with endurance being at the very top of the list. Speed off the mark and disposal being the other things he needs to work off but he has things that you cannot teach and that is a footy brain and elite ability to find the footy in a contest! His downside is that he doesn't appear to be able to play consistently well in other position and with his average endurance, together with new cap on rotations, he might find it tough to break into the team until he builds that engine up.

He is a very good replacement for Thompson in a couple of years and he is coming to AFC at a perfect time where he will play in our reserves team with strong focus on development.

At pick 23, we were always looking at a player who will need some work before we can start seeing some results at a senior level and Matt Crouch is as good as any you could hope for. What he does well, he is elite at. He is a real footballer which is a rarity these days. Personally, I love those types of players.

How different is he to Lyons?

His teammates certainly did - his coach called him the "cult figure" of their defence and said he'd never seen a more assured player in his time coaching. Sloane towelled up Yarran when he played on him from memory too.

Didn't Sloane also win the TAC coaches award?

Ogilvy said that they would have selected Matt if his last name was Smith based on him being the best player available.

Just like Trigg told the board he had the Tippett situation "under control"...

If the opposite were actually true and we did pick him because he's Brads brother and because we could spin it as a "win" to take pressure off the admin for the horrible situation they've put our club in, Ogilvy would hardly come out and say "yeah, I liked Cameron Giles better, but Triggy told me had to pick Crouch or I'd get fired..."

At the moment words mean nothing, of course Ogilvy would say he would have picked Crouch no matter his last name, we'll probably never know whether we received the full truth of it, all we can do is hope Crouch lives up to the hype.

Simon Goodwin & Matty Bode didn't have the same problems and they were both much better cricketers

Bode and Goody were natural runners, I'm not arguing that Crouch needs to improve his endurance my point is that he is not lazy and this will come with full pre-seasons

Personally you can build endurance however you can't coach natural footy instinct to find the pill, priddis, the Jarman's and Disel Williams are examples of this

Then again there have been many players on AFL lists who can run all day but fail to make an impact on a game

The decision needs to be a balanced decision

Simon Goodwin & Matty Bode didn't have the same problems and they were both much better cricketers

They might have been better at chess too.

Absolutely irrelevant.

Different individuals playing their cricket in a different era of fitness levels.

Keep up with the times, Colonel. Your product's getting a bit out-dated. :)

Imagine Matt stuffing something up and Brad gives him an earful on the ground (or vise versa) and we end up with a Gowans twins incident! Can't wait!!! I got $20 on Matt
I hope they gang tackle like the Gowans!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do all secrets get out EC?

Because those in the know tell somebody who swears they won't tell anybody else, and then the rest is history. :)

One of my mates was part of the recruitment team down Port Adelaide not so long ago (not now) and I used to get all the good oil on what was going on down there. Naturally I was sworn to secrecy, which most of the time was the case ......... but I have to admit, not always.

Because those in the know tell somebody who swears they won't tell anybody else, and then the rest is history. :)

One of my mates was part of the recruitment team down Port Adelaide not so long ago (not now) and I used to get all the good oil on what was going on down there. Naturally I was sworn to secrecy, which most of the time was the case ......... but I have to admit, not always.
I get leaks but the way I interpreted it was the clubs shared the info, obviously I misread that

Yeah but she wouldn't believe any old mug, she must get emails and tweets and what not from hundreds of posers. She's obviously seriously connected with higher ups in pretty much every club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back