Resource Fitzroy Video - Links to moving picture media

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at this one. I was 16 and I took my 9 year old brother to the game. We caught a bus from Lower Templestowe to Box Hill station and then a Ventura bus from there to VFL Park. It took forever. It was dark by the time we got back to Box Hill station after the game. While we were waiting for the bus to Lower Templestowe my brother's footy was 'borrowed' by some drunk Footscray supporters who were probably in their early 20's. They played a bit of good natured street kick to kick, before returning the footy. Got back home very late, but not as late as them if they had to train it to the other side of town. Quite an adventure for two young Royboys. We loved Fitzroy and saw plenty of great wins. Years later, in 1992 the same brother was with me at Princess Park when Roos kicked the winner against Collingwood in the dying seconds. Just to complete the story, my brother became quite good mates with Paul Abbott when he moved to Fremantle.

great story!

Fitzroy and Essendon playing for top spot at Windy Hill in 1983.

Great upload Sir. You'll never see an AFL game played like this anymore. Whether it's on account of ground conditions, team tactics or umpiring interpretations.

Last edited:
Both the Micky Conlan 'Open Mike" and Chrissy Johnson "Life after football" videos are excellent. Micky talks a lot about his time at Fitzroy and his love for the Club. The CJ video is all about what he has been doing since he stopped playing AFL level footy.

Both definitely worth a look.

Thumbs up!

We had a quality side that year.

Interesting to see our current coach on the field for Richmond.

Can you imagine the outcry if a game had to get played on that surface these days.
Haha it never even clicked for me that he was there. And yes, quality side. I'm watching it early this morning and someone says Osborne hadn't kicked a goal the week before. I'm muttering my support to him, assuring him he'll get a few tonight, and a shit-tonne next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been watching a few Fitzroy games on youtube lately. Can't remember the round but it was 1992 at a wet MCG. Fitzroy v North Melbourne. You guys had them under control for the night and kicked away in the last quarter. Enjoyed it.

I've been watching a few Fitzroy games on youtube lately. Can't remember the round but it was 1992 at a wet MCG. Fitzroy v North Melbourne. You guys had them under control for the night and kicked away in the last quarter. Enjoyed it.

This would be the match you're referring to. I love Sandy Roberts' excitement at 48.00.

To add some further context Paul Roos kicked the last goal of this game. Though Fitzroy fans moreso remember the final goal of the game he kicked the following match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back