Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd and Lennon both had talent and both lacked speed, stamina and flexibility to play other positions

1 of them worked his ass of and fought hard and improved himself and the other gave up.....

Apparently the appeal playing in the NFL is the massive crowds they get unlike the tiny crowds we get.What a tool
The only thing is Ben wouldn’t be playing in the NFL for a while if at all. If he is lucky he will go play College Gridiron for 4 years whilst completing a degree. Then perhaps if he is good enough he might get signed to an NFL team.

(I do understand that College Football still draws big crowds)

Does anyone know if NFL punters are paid well? I mean don’t they only come on for a few punts a game. Surely that wouldn’t command a huge salary (in relation to other players).

Does anyone know if NFL punters are paid well? I mean don’t they only come on for a few punts a game. Surely that wouldn’t command a huge salary (in relation to other players).

A few mil. Depending how long theyve been on team etc. However a few bad games and theyll get cut easily. My point though is Lennon couldn't even kick 50 in the VFL grand final to win the game. How the F is he going make the NFL?

A few mil. Depending how long theyve been on team etc. However a few bad games and theyll get cut easily. My point though is Lennon couldn't even kick 50 in the VFL grand final to win the game. How the F is he going make the NFL?
I agree with your concerns. When I heard of Ben’s ambition I thought ‘but he’s not known for being a big kick’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben is a likeable bloke with a bad attitude for an elite athlete. I wish him well.
I have heard the rumours about Ben’s poor attitude but just out of curiosity, has this been confirmed by multiple reputable sources? The only reputable source I know of is when Lids said in an interview that Ben had a poor attitude (or something like that).

Kicked it from 60, and it cleared the line easily. Hardly “not making the distance”
Are you certain of that as from where I was standing it was just about 50 ?
Another poster has said the same thing. The reality is he isn’t a booming kick and as I don’t watch nfl I’m not sure what their average punt length should be, but I suspect it would be longer than a scrappy 50-55m kick.

Ben Graham had one bad training session and was fired, on more than one occasion

Are you certain of that as from where I was standing it was just about 50 ?
Another poster has said the same thing. The reality is he isn’t a booming kick and as I don’t watch nfl I’m not sure what their average punt length should be, but I suspect it would be longer than a scrappy 50-55m kick.

Kick easily travelled 60m, the problem was it was offline.

Average punt in the NFL by team varies. Tennessee average 51.5 yards a kick (about 46m) and Minnesota average 41.5 yards a kick (about 38m). It’s more about hangtime in the NFL.

I suspect he’ll get a go at College level no worries. How he goes from there depends on how he picks up the game and the intricacies of his new role. Just the physical kicking component he’ll be fine with.

Kick easily travelled 60m, the problem was it was offline.

Average punt in the NFL by team varies. Tennessee average 51.5 yards a kick (about 46m) and Minnesota average 41.5 yards a kick (about 38m). It’s more about hangtime in the NFL.

I suspect he’ll get a go at College level no worries. How he goes from there depends on how he picks up the game and the intricacies of his new role. Just the physical kicking component he’ll be fine with.
That hang time apparently needs to be around 6s and I was surprised that the average punt is only around the numbers you mentioned. Having studied Physics the art in a projectile kick or launch you need to hit the target at 45 degrees as this gives you the maximum distance . However they are aiming for hang time so it’s possible they may sacrifice distance for extra height.
I think I might look into this further as Kinematics involving gravity was a favourite of mine at Uni.

Does the College level give you a decent income?

That hang time apparently needs to be around 6s and I was surprised that the average punt is only around the numbers you mentioned. Having studied Physics the art in a projectile kick or launch you need to hit the target at 45 degrees as this gives you the maximum distance . However they are aiming for hang time so it’s possible they may sacrifice distance for extra height.
I think I might look into this further as Kinematics involving gravity was a favourite of mine at Uni.

College players don't get paid at all.

College players don't get paid at all.

Yeah the NCAA makes billions, but players are technically amateur and thus not allowed to earn. Not pay to play, endorsements, nothing.

Id say it’s a big part of the reason they’ve made it you can’t go straight from High School to the big leagues, otherwise there’s no way guys like Ben Simmons bother to go to college when they know they’re going to get drafted to the NBA and start earning millions straight away. And if all the guys of that talent level skip college the quality/interest decreases and the NCAA make less money.

If he gets a free ride somehow then at least he walks away with a degree from likely a decent school, even if he doesn't make the NFL.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/12/03/axed-tiger-left-with-a-sour-taste-in-my-mouth/

NFL Punter salaries

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/punter/

lowest paid one is on 465k US which is about 650k AU decent gig if you can make it

Highest paid punter is averaging 45.1 yards (41.2m) this year with a max of 57.6m and he is on 4mil signing bonus was 800k

That is a very good point ..that kick from 50in the GF was shit
Also I get the feeling he has targeted a position in a sport where he feels he doesn't have to work very hard during the game ...lazy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back