Player Watch #24: Ben Griffiths - retired effectively immediately

Will he play for the Tigers at AFL level again?

• Yes

Votes: 54 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 114 67.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

thats just it in nut shell.
People see the names, but it doesnt seem to sink in that none of them have any runs on the board.People are quick to forget the simple fact that Most talls fail and they also forget of the ones who do make it it takes the majority of them 3 or 4 yrs just to get up to standard.
Consider that and then look at Griffiths retirement and this yr it leaves us with just one experienced tall fwd.A blind man could see this coming.
And what about those names and what looks like their foremost role

Garthwaite _ is a defender, and because of the same sort of situation in defense should be getting games this yr. Weather he is third tall or kpd we really have to get some experience into him because hes the one who will have to step into Rance Or Astburys role if either get hurt.With Broad out theres a great opportunity to play him for the first three games at least.

Moore - yep a tall fwd who for some reason we have not bothered to put games into with the exception of a couple at the end of a poor season in 2016.
Kids coming off a very good finish in the seconds last yr where he has shown more than enough to be placed on the senior list but wasn't. I'm not sure they rate him at the club. Of all the tall's on the list without runs on the board he seems the most logical one to play. Been around for a few seasons has all the attributes to compliment the way our fwd line works, pace agility strong mark if he brings the defensive pressure hes a perfect fit. Im still a bit shocked we did not put at least some games into him last yr especially with only Jack up their for so long.

Chol - He is getting bigger each yr and as that happens i think we need to play him more as a ruckman. In fact i believe he is first and foremost a ruckman.We do need to remember when drafted he was a seriously skinny kid who would have got snapped in two if we put him anywhere near the ruck.
If he makes it he would be the perfect foil for Nankervis because of the different type of ruckman he is. Nankervis a big bodied crash bash type Chol a high leaping agile type.With Chols grounding as a fwd he could like toby be expected to go fwd and kick the odd snag .
We originally got Hampson because Maric had trouble with the leapers well big Toby is in the same boat.In fact Toby has a lot of improving to do on his ruck work.That aint a put down its just something that can be improved and if it does he will be an even better player than he is now.

these three have at least been in the system for a few yrs. imo only one in Moore is a natural fwd,and is the only one who has shown enough as a fwd it hits you in the face that it is now time to see what this Kid can offer.

Then theres the three new boys. It is absolutely laughable that people are thinking these KIDS will come straight in and dominate for us. They are all a good size and that may or may not allow them to cope and may even allow em to get some games. If they do get games these boys will be getting them more for the experience than anything else.
Talls mostly take a bit of time.Why do we think ours are any different? Yet we are talking as if they are a solution this yr.
They are HOPEFULLY a solution but a solution for down the track. Atm they are 18yo juniors who firstly have to prove they are worthy of even keeping and develop into AFL players.If any manage to get games this yr then thats a bonus.

Of the three Balta, Coleman-Jones and Miller i actually think the latter is the best chance of playing early. Mainly because of not just his size which all three have but his footy background.

I think this a great pick for where we got him ive actually argued for yrs that our late nd picks and rookie picks be used on at least some talls with outstanding attributes.
I only have the one concern with Ben well maybe two, and i think it is the same for most. At 196cm his best footy has been as a ruckman and he may not survive in the afl as a ruckman. He has already had a big growth spurt last yr to get to 196cm im not sure theres going to be another. Also his size its the man against boys thing but this is offset already as hes held his own against men in a pretty tough league.At colt though his size was a big advantage and how that translates when he comes up against blokes as big or bigger at afl is always a question that gets asked.
I dont think this really matters 2005 Shannon Hurn was a standout man boy and everyone was saying it wont help him at afl. Trouble was when you looked past his size he could play and play damn well that yr i had him a top 5 pick so with Ben i think he has the tools and being such a big unit makes it even better.
But in saying that he has the attributes to play kpp.that could take a bit of time to hone and develop.With the way he moves i could see no reason why he could not in old school speak play as big ruck/rover or a blicsavs role.
Personally if he showed he could cope id have no problem throwing him in for some games, with no expectations on the kid.
Given the retirement of Griffiths, who would have played most likely as a forward/ruck in the VFL, this then allows all the kids (including Moore and Chol) to be fast tracked into more prominent rolls in the VFL. So although your first paragraph suggests losing Griffiths leaves us short, in reality I think it will help in the long run. Sure if Nankervis goes down early in the season then Griffiths may have helped, but given how he was travelling late in the season in the VFL, Griff was shot. Surely Moore must come into serious contention, I guess the ball is in his court.
One of the problems with talls is that if you have to many of them, the developing players do not have to shoulder the load as much, which in turn can slow their development. For example with Maric, Griffiths and Elton in the VFL last year, Moore was played more as a flanker, now he can play CHF, Chol can now ruck some of the game and the new tall draftees can be given more important rolls. Given they are all good sizes, and not skinny like when Chol and Moore arrived, that should fast track them somewhat.

You don't go saying "stuff you" to blokes who worked for you for 7-8 years unless you're Carlton.

We don't have a Carlton culture.

We have a Richmond culture.

When you're a great premiership club like us, you do what you can within your means to help him on his way.

We won a premiership while compassionately paying out Yarran, who contributed nothing. We could've been pricks to him, but that's not Richmond.

Sometimes you've gotta give a little more. Overall, this is all part of our premiership culture where we create an environment where the players feel at home.

You take the good with the bad.

LOL yep let's rid the list of every fringe player so we don't have constant of will he or won't he and move onto the next crop .
Every year we move on fringe players, all that has happened here is we've had Griffiths elect to move on 8 months earlier than the club might have done. If as some have suggested Griffiths was never going to play for us again then I don't see what the difference is. As I said we've effectively had 1 player removed from the equation so now we've got no option but to look at the younger kids and fast tracking their development.

Actually the funniest thing on here is all the desperate mentions on here of 'Griff being on our list in a premiership year' as some sort of majestic accolade.
Clutching at straws much?????
He had as much relevance to our grand final win as Taylor Hunt, Steve Morris, Nathan Drummond, Mabior Chol and each and every single poster here on Big Footy.
Yeah I get he's part of a team, but he got nowhere near the senior team after half time of round two. Yet, in retirement - as in his ordinary playing days - we want to glorify, overstate and amplify this bloke's contribution.
I'll pen the title of his autobiography .... 'The Hope and the Hype'.
Don’t underestimate the impact guys like Steve Morris, Ivan Maric and Taylor Hunt had on our flag with a much improved attitude and culture. Numerous mentions were made about these guys by the premiership players post game.

Given the retirement of Griffiths, who would have played most likely as a forward/ruck in the VFL, this then allows all the kids (including Moore and Chol) to be fast tracked into more prominent rolls in the VFL. So although your first paragraph suggests losing Griffiths leaves us short, in reality I think it will help in the long run. Sure if Nankervis goes down early in the season then Griffiths may have helped, but given how he was travelling late in the season in the VFL, Griff was shot. Surely Moore must come into serious contention, I guess the ball is in his court.
One of the problems with talls is that if you have to many of them, the developing players do not have to shoulder the load as much, which in turn can slow their development. For example with Maric, Griffiths and Elton in the VFL last year, Moore was played more as a flanker, now he can play CHF, Chol can now ruck some of the game and the new tall draftees can be given more important rolls. Given they are all good sizes, and not skinny like when Chol and Moore arrived, that should fast track them somewhat.
Agree with point about too many talls in the VFL. But we have OUT: Maric, Elton, Griff IN Balta, Miller, Jones. Plus Hampson, Soldo Chol Garth, Moore running around. Too many talls for one team which is trying to develop players for a particular game plan. Can we rotate some of these guys through a lower level ? Or is that just going to be the EDFL?

Dunno, his injuries empowered the small forward line so in a indirect way he kinda shaped our forward line and our success particularly with Townsend strategically added late at the end of the season.

Bit like Hird injuries in previous years helped the 2000 premiership for Essendon
Yes Griff helped to shape our GF win...it's a team effort...not a solo one...
With Griff retiring now instead of Trade Week...it may set off a dominoe effect again for Back to Back GF's..
Well played Griff!

i'll never understand how it is viewed any differently to that.

i think a lot forget that players don't always feel the same connection to the club that we do. I have no doubt they love the club and the people there, but it is still a job at the end of the day. and if another company offered anyone double the $$ they are on to move, i'm tipping we would probably all do it.

I'd do it tomorrow!

Agree with point about too many talls in the VFL. But we have OUT: Maric, Elton, Griff IN Balta, Miller, Jones. Plus Hampson, Soldo Chol Garth, Moore running around. Too many talls for one team which is trying to develop players for a particular game plan. Can we rotate some of these guys through a lower level ? Or is that just going to be the EDFL?
B. ....... Garth ...........
H.B. ........ Balta ...........
Ruck ....... Soldo ...........
HF ....... Moore ...........
F ....... Miller Chol
Bench....... Hampson, Jones

so basically on to many talls, which is no real problem, someone (Hampson most likely) will be injured or rested.

Don’t underestimate the impact guys like Steve Morris, Ivan Maric and Taylor Hunt had on our flag with a much improved attitude and culture. Numerous mentions were made about these guys by the premiership players post game.
Good observation. After reading the book, this definitely resonates.
A club premiership, not just the 22 blokes on the day.

thanks for your service ben 63 games is nothing to sneeze at and i think you made the right decision to hang them up just unlucky your obvious weapons weren't used as often as they should have been. all the best on hopefully making an nfl side as a punter once a tiger always a tiger

He should of said no to the NFL until next year, instead of leaving the club in the poo.
Think the Club wouldn't be that unhappy tbh. Win/win

absolutely taylor hunt was a great get for the club imo and a good role model for the young blokes at the club trains and plays his guts out to get the most out of himself and lack of talent that desire rubs off on our kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should of said no to the NFL until next year, instead of leaving the club in the poo.
club would have had an idea it was coming and have recruited to cover him. also gives this boards love child callum moore a shot

“It came as a shock when Ben made the announcement on Thursday morning," said Balme

e9ce4003872bbc0ba6a66d36c2846ef3

Balmey's thought bubble was "I was coming in Friday to discuss it with him in the name of good HR - but I guess he couldn't wait.....I'm shocked"

Would have liked him to give it one more crack to see if he can have a full season without injury and see how he goes. 2 talls and 4 smalls is perfect. 1 tall and 5 smalls will not be as effective this year. Griff was a required player while Balta and Coleman Jones develop. Bit disappointing that he chose a yank sport over the club who supported him for 8 years. It's not like you have to be under 30 to kick a long torp :cool:

The moment that summed this up for me was when The entire list was included in the song after the grand final I remember dusty specifically refusing to start without ivy in the circle with them

Thought the Nathan Chapman interview on SEN explained it pretty well.
BG knew he probably wouldn't get a contract for 2019 so he put the feelers out for a punters gig in that year (not 2018).
Things moved far more quickly than anyone expected (including Chapman/ProKick) and he was offered a 'grab it while you can' golden opportunity to get an A grade education that could set him up for life.

If you add his concussion issues and academic focus, I just can't see how he could have been expected to make any other decision.
It wasn't that he set out to jump ship in 2018.
And he would have been painfully aware that he wasn't need to win the 2017 flag.

BG knew he probably wouldn't get a contract for 2019 so he put the feelers out for a punters gig in that year (not 2018).
Things moved far more quickly than anyone expected (including Chapman/ProKick) and he was offered a 'grab it while you can' golden opportunity to get an A grade education that could set him up for life.

If you add his concussion issues and academic focus, I just can't see how he could have been expected to make any other decision.
And he would have been painfully aware that he wasn't need to win the 2017 flag.

Excellent summary.

1 down on the list rather than 1 down on the field when he played. :p

We were one down on the list in “17 as well (yarren) and it didn’t seem to impact us too negativity

Plus by all accounts next years draft is much deeper than this one so an extra spot in the draft can’t hurt

Good luck to the bloke, will have a sweet time over in the states. May not have worked out on the field but he seems like a nice bloke with a good heart. I doubt this decision would've been easy for him. Moore should be helping him pack his bags as he just went to the front of the queue for the second tall(ish) forward spot

You don't go saying "stuff you" to blokes who worked for you for 7-8 years unless you're Carlton.

We don't have a Carlton culture.

We have a Richmond culture.

When you're a great premiership club like us, you do what you can within your means to help him on his way.

We won a premiership while compassionately paying out Yarran, who contributed nothing. We could've been pricks to him, but that's not Richmond.

Sometimes you've gotta give a little more. Overall, this is all part of our premiership culture where we create an environment where the players feel at home.

You take the good with the bad.

Well said
Yes the timing could have been better
However given his concussion issues it is in his best interests
Also the man has the rest of his life to lead I wish him good luck in his future endeavours with American football and thankyou your service to the Richmond football club

Add to the fact that Griff was pretty poor in the VFL towards the end. Think he knew then that he wasn't up to it anymore mentally. Good luck to him.

Back