Delisted #28: Alastair Lord - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Speedy South Australian. I look forward to us trading him to Port in five years' time.

You laugh but if you think back to Fantasia’s initial run in the side in the #46 playing as a running defender the highlights are a dead set ringer.

"He's a rebounding defender with terrific speed who uses the ball. We think he can play as a pressure forward, which is an area we've wanted to build on our list, so therefore we thought he'd be a really good pick," Dodoro said.

Interesting... I like the look of him at half back.

The more I see and read the more I like.

He's young, quick, takes the game on and can kick.

I suspect we may see him sooner than we'd otherwise anticipate as a small forward but I don't really care if we don't see him for 3 years.

There is a stack of raw ability in a body that will likely still have a stack of growth/development. This is my idea of a pick in the late 40s, the set of attributes you can mould into the thing you need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was quoted on the AFL website from one of the Essedon crew (not sure who): "[Lord is] a rebounding defender with terrific speed who uses the ball. We think he can play as a pressure forward, which is an area we've wanted to build on our list, so therefore we thought he'd be a really good pick."

This was quoted on the AFL website from one of the Essedon crew (not sure who): "[Lord is] a rebounding defender with terrific speed who uses the ball. We think he can play as a pressure forward, which is an area we've wanted to build on our list, so therefore we thought he'd be a really good pick."
You can kind of see it in the highlights and he clearly doesn't mind a goal.

The draft profiles I've seen seem to suggest defensive work is something he has been lacking though so I'm not sure if that bodes well for a pressure forward role.

Love this pick from a list perspective. Was wondering where the small forward was after today and then saw the Dodoro comments.

Think he has 2-3 years to show himself as a small forward and if that doesnt work a year or two after that as a back flanker with Heppell and Hind reaching twilight

His agility will cause some issues.

As said by a few here, has alot of Fantasia about it.

Love Dodoros ability to think outside box

The draft profiles I've seen seem to suggest defensive work is something he has been lacking though so I'm not sure if that bodes well for a pressure forward role.
Still young and can develop in that area though.
It's all effort, hunger and technique. He has the speed and agility to chase down most.

Pick 46 - Essendon
Alastair Lord (Norwood)

Height:
181cm
Weight: 75kg

"Dashing defender who reads the play exceptionally well to intercept and then provides great rebound with his run and carry from defence. Links up well with his fellow defenders and been an efficient user by hand and foot as he’s averaged 22.4 disposals (77% efficiency) playing just five matches at Under 18s level due to injury. Showed composure and class down back in Under 19s matches against both Western Australia and the Allies being amongst his state’s best players. Dazzled at NAB AFL Draft Combine level with his agility time of 7.94 seconds ranked number one nationally." - Kevin Sheehan

There are plenty of comparisons here to Hind at one end and Fantasia at the other. It's clear that he can run and carry and he's agile. Anyone know if he can kick though?

Based purely on the minimal footage that I've seen, he moves and kicks more like Hind than Fantasia (but perhaps he is better forward in a Fantasia role than down back in a Hind role).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back