Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Second most on the ground from memory still means he covered the ground, you can't do that walking and jogging.
km travelled means nothing. I'm 57yo and can walk at 6.5km an hour. Imagine what a fit 24yo can do running, jogging and walking in 70minutes. Billy Nicholls was in Hawthorn's elite running group , yet on a footy field he ran and ran and ran and was always where the ball wasn't. RCD is similar as most of his running is chasing arseholes rathe than arseholes chasing him. It's the most useless stat ever as it tells you nothing about the players performance on the ground in terms of football skills. I could easily run 14km at 24yo within 80min.

Trade him to the Kangas for their second if he wants out of the RFC at years end.

They'll probably already have 3 first rounders after JHF is traded back to the Crows and they get another priority pick for drafting a kid that didnt want to go there and is from another State.

Trade him to the Kangas for their second if he wants out of the RFC at years end.

They'll probably already have 3 first rounders after JHF is traded back to the Crows and they get another priority pick for drafting a kid that didnt want to go there and is from another State.
We already have the North 2nd round pick (gave it to us for CCJ)

One game in the AFL this year he ran 14.8 kg's, the second best on our side. What is not good at is repeated effort over and over that the good inside mids have. He has great speed and is a burst player, two good requirements of a wingman. Also not suggesting that he is going to play seniors there but given his form this year in the guts, put him outside and see how he goes. The VFL is a lot slower than AFL, it might be a lifeline for next year you never know.
he just needs game time to adjust.

I agree. As underwhelming as he’s been, I reckon he’ll look better at AFL level than VFL.

Those games really are a mess.

Which is why people need to stop writing off players getting promoted based on perceived vfl output. Sometimes players are given specific instructions to ready themselves for a role at senior level and every Tom Dick and Harry sits there’s trashing said players performance in the vfl whereas the coaches will be happy.

Having said that, I’m not suggesting RCD is in that boat- clearly he’s had issues of reading the play and knowing when to go on the spread. I’ve been suss on him for years and unfortunately the longer it’s gone, the more convinced I am he doesn’t have a future (at our club at least).

Last edited:
If he wasn't a 1st rounder noone would really be this emotional about where he's at. All the excuses made for him and hypotheticals are complete nonsense. It was sexy/ trendy to get a 6ft 4 mid so Richmond got one hoping he could be our Cripps/ Bont and in doing so ignored the fact that averaging 12 possessions for Vic Metro foretold he's not that much chop, add to that he's a pea-heart. I can sum up the issue with RCD in one sentence then mods please close this thread. " You can't polish a turd!" 200 (2).gif

Just needs to play as a pure inside mid . Ross , Martyn , RCD , Dow , Stack will all end up being delisted after going backwards since arriving at the club .
IIRC all played last game last year and competed well against the odds against hawthorn .
Even at VFL level we are now putting blokes like AArts and Castagna ahead of these blokes in midfield rotations .

km travelled means nothing. I'm 57yo and can walk at 6.5km an hour. Imagine what a fit 24yo can do running, jogging and walking in 70minutes. Billy Nicholls was in Hawthorn's elite running group , yet on a footy field he ran and ran and ran and was always where the ball wasn't. RCD is similar as most of his running is chasing arseholes rathe than arseholes chasing him. It's the most useless stat ever as it tells you nothing about the players performance on the ground in terms of football skills. I could easily run 14km at 24yo within 80min.
Wasn't arguing performance, it was in response to that he cannot run well enough to play as a wingman. And that may be the case, but I argued that he covered the second most km's in a game which is some sort of evidence that maybe he can.

Garthwaite ran nearly 16kms in a game once, didn't mean he was good enough for AFL, but he could run out games.

Right now RCD is going by the wayside. Two options, leave him there and delist at the end of the season, or try him somewhere else. No brainer really.

If he wasn't a 1st rounder noone would really be this emotional about where he's at. All the excuses made for him and hypotheticals are complete nonsense. It was sexy/ trendy to get a 6ft 4 mid so Richmond got one hoping he could be our Cripps/ Bont and in doing so ignored the fact that averaging 12 possessions for Vic Metro foretold he's not that much chop, add to that he's a pea-heart. I can sum up the issue with RCD in one sentence then mods please close this thread. " You can't polish a turd!" View attachment 1423566
He averaged 18 disposals at NAB level, 12 in his junior year and averaged 12 for Vic Metro side playing half forward/mid.

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 8.24.41 am.png

Callum Twomey: He is a ball-getter who excelled in the Oakleigh Chargers' finals series – averaging 21 disposals and a goal in the three games – and has recruiters excited about his potential.
It has been quite the rise for the big-bodied midfielder, who has shot up to 193cm after missing selection for Vic Metro's under-16s side (although he was in the squad).

Wasn't arguing performance, it was in response to that he cannot run well enough to play as a wingman. And that may be the case, but I argued that he covered the second most km's in a game which is some sort of evidence that maybe he can.

Garthwaite ran nearly 16kms in a game once, didn't mean he was good enough for AFL, but he could run out games.

Right now RCD is going by the wayside. Two options, leave him there and delist at the end of the season, or try him somewhere else. No brainer really.
Just bc you can run 14km still doesn't mean you're able to play wing as the wing requires other skills apart from running.:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just bc you can run 14km still doesn't mean you're able to play wing as the wing requires other skills apart from running.:cool:
I agree. I think he may be suited to the wing. So far he has demonstrated that he doesn't have the ability, mentally most likely to play midfield which requires constant movement whether at the ball or the man. Has good tackling ability, but then forgets about getting the ball. Is good at the ball and good at swooping on the loose ball, but then seems to forget about chasing and tackling.

The wing doesn't require that. Yes it requires running, but not all wingman are marathon runners. He he has the burst of speed and the desire to take the game on which are good prerequisites for a wingman. He uses the ball well and like MacIntosh who uses his strength well, he could do likewise. He might enjoy a bit of space to work in.

I think it is worth a look. I guess half back also, but we have backs lining up. There have been plenty of big wingman over the years, MacIntosh going back to Dipper, Milane, Michael Gale.

Can't hurt to try him on a wing before he's delisted.

At least we can say we tried.

Fail The Simpsons GIF

I don't understand why RCD is stagnating. And I'd say that only the club would know. But he now has the size and fitness and experience to genuinely step up.

But when you watch him you see so many glimpses of high end talent. It's just that it is only usually glimpses. Are the coaches asking him to do more complex stuff than his brain can handle? Does he just get lost in the game? is he just a spud? (don't think he is a spud)

Usually you see that much talent and as they mature you see the performance. He still seems a bit lost, poor timing, whatever you want to say. Nearly but not quite.

Hope it clicks, cause I'd love to watch him hit to contest at speed and rip it apart.

Playing Parker and Aarts in front of RCD or any of the other kids is the one error our Match committee has made over the last couple of years.

And I understand the mentality around why, but in early hindsight it was an error.

Only look back to 2017 when we gave kids like Butler, George, Jack Graham etc a chance and some responsibility rather than older recycled players that we had used in previous years.

After a few games, the ceiling for Aarts and Parker was clearly visible, and while they may have been contributing on field in the ones, the reality was, it wasn't going to improve enough to make us a better team.

Taking them out and replacing them kids to give them the opportunity at the top level wouldn't have had a major impact (negatively) on our on field performance, on the flip side, the output either immediate or long term could be massive by these kids playing. And if it isn't, we haven't lost anything compared to playing Aarts and Parker.

I think what you have highlighted is even more sad for us, its not fitness, its just ability :(

There is no greater example of how to turn RCD around and what he could be than Will Brodie . Gold Coast continually tried to mould him into something he wasn’t , he goes to Freo and is played in a position where he excells.

I think what you have highlighted is even more sad for us, its not fitness, its just ability :(
Don’t even know if it’s ability, he’s had games where he dominates In the vfl and when he has been called up in afl levels he’s had moments where he looks like an afl player, it’s just consistently he lacks, as to why it’s anyones guess but seems more mental than anything else
Once he enters a form slump or even has a down patch in a game he can’t seem to work his way out of it

Unfortunately he cannot find the pill enough. His junior form reflects his senior form. No shame in moving on he wont make it at our club and might do better elsewhere but I think not much will change if he does move.

I agree. I think he may be suited to the wing. So far he has demonstrated that he doesn't have the ability, mentally most likely to play midfield which requires constant movement whether at the ball or the man. Has good tackling ability, but then forgets about getting the ball. Is good at the ball and good at swooping on the loose ball, but then seems to forget about chasing and tackling.

The wing doesn't require that. Yes it requires running, but not all wingman are marathon runners. He he has the burst of speed and the desire to take the game on which are good prerequisites for a wingman. He uses the ball well and like MacIntosh who uses his strength well, he could do likewise. He might enjoy a bit of space to work in.

I think it is worth a look. I guess half back also, but we have backs lining up. There have been plenty of big wingman over the years, MacIntosh going back to Dipper, Milane, Michael Gale.

I am thinking more deep in the backline may suit. Half back he may still struggle to work out which way to run and when. I would be interested to see how he would go as a full back/back pocket. If he could handle biggish players in his own type of size range, he may also be able to cope with the smaller forwards stationed deep, Chuck Cameron, Papley, Weightman etc and monster them. So in this scenario I would be seeing if he might ultimately be able to replace Grimes in his role, when the latter retires. Life is simpler back there but you need serious weapons to deploy very rapidly when you are in play. It just may suit Collier-Dawkins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back