Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the beer that's made on the yeast cake affect the next beer a great deal?

Say if I wanted to make a Belgian Dark and Strong, so I make a bit up a batch of Coopers cheap extract on Abbey yeast - may or may not keep it - then dump the Belgian on the yeast cake.

Thoughts?

Does the beer that's made on the yeast cake affect the next beer a great deal?

Say if I wanted to make a Belgian Dark and Strong, so I make a bit up a batch of Coopers cheap extract on Abbey yeast - may or may not keep it - then dump the Belgian on the yeast cake.

Thoughts?
Nah unless the first beer is a stout or 80 IBU, and you’re using the yeast cake to make a helles

Did a brew yesterday. Got a new grain mill - one of the grainfather electric jobs. Infinitely easier than using my shitty drill-powered one. And though I didn’t take the best measurements, I reckon I got easily at least 5% better brewhouse efficiency. Very happy, just not convinced it’s going to endure more than a year or two of milling

Brew was a 1.048 saison with 25% wheat, bitterer using hallertau from a guy who grows hops at home, eclipse and nelson added at whirlpool, and fermenting with this mixed culture:

I also brewed yesterday - a key lime pie pastry sour that came in at 1.070. Added 250g of dextrose and lactose and a litre of lime juice in the boil (it's only $1 for 250ml from Woolworths so thought what the hell). Has 500g of biscuit malt in the bill, will be dry spicing with the juice and rinds of 4 limes in the fermenter then adding almond essence and green food colouring in the bottling bucket.

Pitched at about 10am yesterday morning and has taken off nicely overnight. Also kegged the Vienna lager on Thursday- hopefully both will be all ready for drinking come Christmas weekend.

Brew was a 1.048 saison with 25% wheat, bitterer using hallertau from a guy who grows hops at home, eclipse and nelson added at whirlpool, and fermenting with this mixed culture:

That sounds mint - gonna be keen to hear about how that goes.

I also brewed yesterday - a key lime pie pastry sour that came in at 1.070. Added 250g of dextrose and lactose and a litre of lime juice in the boil (it's only $1 for 250ml from Woolworths so thought what the hell). Has 500g of biscuit malt in the bill, will be dry spicing with the juice and rinds of 4 limes in the fermenter then adding almond essence and green food colouring in the bottling bucket.

Pitched at about 10am yesterday morning and has taken off nicely overnight. Also kegged the Vienna lager on Thursday- hopefully both will be all ready for drinking come Christmas weekend.
Similarly keen to hear about how the lime sour goes

Lime sour bottled:

20221203_151622.jpg

Almond extract didn't mix well, was more like an oil slick on the top unfortunately, had to stir before bottling a dozen to keep it mixed. Food colouring looks good. Lime is very strong from the rind added, will be very interesting to see how it turns out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lime sour bottled:

View attachment 1566724

Almond extract didn't mix well, was more like an oil slick on the top unfortunately, had to stir before bottling a dozen to keep it mixed. Food colouring looks good. Lime is very strong from the rind added, will be very interesting to see how it turns out.
Frustrating about the extract. It might have been an oil based extract instead of alcohol based? Presumably designed for baking. Good thing head retention isn’t something you’d expect in a sour anyway. Looking forward to the review!

Frustrating about the extract. It might have been an oil based extract instead of alcohol based? Presumably designed for baking. Good thing head retention isn’t something you’d expect in a sour anyway. Looking forward to the review!

Must've been, it definitely adds a dynamic to the flavouring - almost like a Dr Pepper kind of tinge. It'll definitely be great if it all comes together, fingers crossed.

Vienna looks great. My brewing has been few and far between with both my boys playing cricket in 15s and 17s all day Saturday and me joining the eldest in C grade most Sundays- weekends are gooone.
I do have a Vienna in the fermenter at the moment which will cold crash for 3 weeks while we are away so looknig forward to that in the New Year.

Key lime pie sour:

20221217_153932.jpg

Notes:

• Food colouring totally dropped out and settled on the bottom of the bottle with the yeast.
  • Not long after settling the almond extract separated and floated to the top.
  • Taste is good, but this Philly Sour yeast is more suited to stone fruit flavours.

Overall a decent drink and will be a nice refreshing sip on hot days but wouldn't go with this recipe again.

Key lime pie sour:

View attachment 1574853

Notes:

• Food colouring totally dropped out and settled on the bottom of the bottle with the yeast.
  • Taste is good, but this Philly Sour yeast is more suited to stone fruit flavours.

Overall a decent drink and will be a nice refreshing sip on hot days but wouldn't go with this recipe again.

Roll your bottle and try again 👍

Key lime pie sour:

View attachment 1574853

Notes:

Good experiment still. Interesting about the food colouring. Does demonstrate how yeast pulls things down into it though - hop flavour too

I’m staying down south for a few nights. Other than Beer Farm, what are the good/new breweries or wineries should I check out?

Back