Women's Netball Team (Licence Handed Back May ‘23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing. Hopefully the club see their way clear to continuing with the netball. Don’t imagine it’s been easy through Covid affected years.

As a NFP organization, profits need to be reinvested back into the club in some way, shape or form. Netball as good as any other activity I’d have thought given restrictions on what we can spend on our footy programs.

It has been a continual underperformed team despite us making finals in 3 of our seven seasons, but not being a serious title threat, despite the quality of players we have managed to have on the roster.
Compounded by this season which has been a disaster, so this consideration by the board isn't surprising.
The interest in the team may not be there, so it's obviously weak as a viable financial option, and the club may rather pump the money back into our football programs.

Last edited:
Love the sport of netball, but honestly never watched a Super Netball game and have never had any interest in doing so. Could imagine the club was hoping there'd be more crossover for Pies fans from footy to netball, but just wasn't there.

Makes me think more on back when the BBL was kicking off, can't remember where I read it but McGuire was pretty serious about establishing a Collingwood branded team as one of the Melbourne franchises. Personally would have worked a lot for me, although its hard to see any non-Pies AFL fans jumping across to support that team in cricket haha, would've really been Us vs Them after all

It has been a continual underperformed team despite us making finals in 3 of our seven seasons, but not being a serious title threat, despite the quality of players we have managed to have on the roster.
Compounded by this season which has been a disaster, so this consideration by the board isn't surprising.
The interest in the team may not be there, so it's obviously weak as a viable financial option, and the club may rather pump the money back into our football programs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always wondered if our application would have been different if we’d already had an AFLW side. The close timing of gaining both licences seemed like hedging our bets if either application wasn’t successful.

It also seems reactionary to only announce the possibility of handing back our licence to the group once this story hit the press. Managing expectations or getting ahead of the news cycle? Either way despite the cost/return I’m surprised quitting netball is on the table. It’s not exactly great for women’s sport or PR.

Why the * did we get the team in the first place?

For damn good reason that nobody ever questions any more …

… we wanted to get into women’s sport.

And back when we got the Netball license it was the only ticket into women’s sport. AFLW didn’t exist (but it got ramped up real quick after we were granted our Netball license).

And when AFLW was set up, it was very fringe with a small number of teams playing an 8 game season. As opposed to netball which was played by girls who aspired to represent their country on the global stage (and some on our team did). Not even the men have that.

Back at that time I had a chat with the person tasked with setting up our women’s programs (Gubby Allen) and he said that Netball was the main focus of the women’s program.

Most country towns around Victoria have “Football and Netball” clubs. Why couldn’t Collingwood be that too?

Obviously fast forward 7 years and AFLW has become popular.

Disappointing. Hopefully the club see their way clear to continuing with the netball. Don’t imagine it’s been easy through Covid affected years.

As a NFP organization, profits need to be reinvested back into the club in some way, shape or form. Netball as good as any other activity I’d have thought given restrictions on what we can spend on our footy programs.

Are there restrictions on what we can spend? There’s a tax, but no restriction. We can spend more.

Curious, have you been to a Magpies netball game?

I have, and I gotta say it was one of the more memorable sporting experiences of my life (and I’ve had a few)

Loudest crowd ever. By far. Nothing I’ve experienced at an AFL game comes even remotely close.

Sitting in an enclosed stadium filled to capacity, the vast majority with young female larynxes (think high pitch) screaming full roar at the top of their lungs.

My eardrums were reverberating in my ears. Literally. It was the weirdest sensation.

Netball is not my game, but I thought it was very watchable.

Last edited:
The reality is we have no business in Netball.
To compound the issues…we have been carrying these loses into our biggest area—-the football club itself.

You can’t go into a business that simply cannot make any form of profit.

It’s sad to say but the truth is this was a wasted exercise and we wasted resources and money into something that was never going to survive.
The league itself is unsustainable as it is let alone our club being involved in a completely different sport altogether.

We are just getting ready for Pendles’ retirement to start our NBL license.

not sure if you have heard, but apparently Scott Pendlebury used to play basketball And was pretty good at it.

The reality is we have no business in Netball.
To compound the issues…we have been carrying these loses into our biggest area—-the football club itself.

You can’t go into a business that simply cannot make any form of profit.

It’s sad to say but the truth is this was a wasted exercise and we wasted resources and money into something that was never going to survive.
The league itself is unsustainable as it is let alone our club being involved in a completely different sport altogether.

If we didn’t have the netball license, what would we have spent the money on instead?

We can’t spend it on players? We can’t spend it on coaches? Our facilities are already high standard?

Surely there’d be intangible benefits to sharing a facility with international standard athletes competing in a top flight competition? Of course netball game day looks a lot different to AFL game day, but the cross pollination of training ideas, teaching methods, body recovery, injury prevention and management, etc, etc would still be relevant.

I’d be curious to know what people in the footy program thought about this.

If we didn’t have the netball license, what would we have spent the money on instead?

We can’t spend it on players? We can’t spend it on coaches? Our facilities are already high standard?

Surely there’d be intangible benefits to sharing a facility with international standard athletes competing in a top flight competition? Of course netball game day looks a lot different to AFL game day, but the cross pollination of training ideas, teaching methods, body recovery, injury prevention and management, etc, etc would still be relevant.

We can spend it on coaches, facilities, sports science, better admin staff, better media department ect ect.

Do you seriously think that the Netball coaches are going to be giving tips to our AFL coaches? If that's true, then maybe we should've spent that money on getting international coaches to come over for a week and give us their tips...

Unfortunately they’ve suffered from having the Collingwood name. Netball fans wanted a rival for the Vixens in Melbourne but because it was “collingwood” they wouldn’t get on board and the crossover in seasons means our fans weren’t going because of financial considerations. It’s one or the other.

Melbourne Tigers basketball had a similar problem. They had their fans but when the new NBL was reformed the public had a long term hatred of them so they had to be rebranded, thus where the name “United “ came in trying to unite the vic basketball community behind them. Personally I was a Westside Saints supporter back in the day, then tigers and the Giants were enemy number 1.

And players. Would Layton and Brazill have played AFLW / AFLW for Collingwood without the netball program under the same roof?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back