Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Daicos is to Collingwood what Gryan Miers is to Geelong. Miers may kick more goals but Daicos scans the field just as well, maybe even better than Miers does
I think you might cop it for this, but can see what you mean - seeing targets when clear - Miers is right up there. Not sure if he's got that ability to see the field when in tight under pressure like guys like Diesel, Nick, Simon Black or Pendles.

Not me. a) Biggest receiver in the game. That and the b) stewards didn't need to wash his jumper aftyer a game - never got dirty getting theball himself!

In today's terms:

a) ran his backside off to give an option and then used it beautifully
b) kept his feet rather than going to ground like so many others did

He was ahead of his times.

The "clean jumper" criticism is stupid he got his kneecap crushed in a pack, and frequently dives in up to his ears, eg about 6 times in the final 5 minutes of the GF. I wish he'd stay the f out of the packs, he's too valuable to be grinding.

The "stats padding" knock is another one, blitzing your enemy and gaining 60 metres with smart 1-2's is attacking footy 101, he created a goal from nothing late in the second quarter with that exact play.

I think you might cop it for this, but can see what you mean - seeing targets when clear - Miers is right up there. Not sure if he's got that ability to see the field when in tight under pressure like guys like Diesel, Nick, Simon Black or Pendles.
Sorry mate I parodying the fake Whateley tweet. Miers is a fine skilled player but Naicos has gone past him already.

I agree with this chat in that one of Naicos's great strengths is his incisive short ball use ... changing angles and seeing play unfold much more quickly than most players do. Some of the other great practitioners of this include Caleb Daniel (underrated player IMO) and Miers. I have high hopes that Lachie Schultz is another player along the ''death by a thousand cuts'' line, and can add another precision ball user firing the ball inside 50. His ball use against Richmond (only a practice match I know) was elite at times. I have not seen enough of him over the last few years to know if this is the norm. I hope so!

If they hate him now for being a receiver, they’re really going to despise him for winning all those flags and medals…
He’s going to end up the biggest receiver in history. Receiving AA blazers, receiving Brownlows, receiving flags, receiving Copelands…

He seemed to win his own ball alright in one of the most iconic Grand Final goals ever. Won the hard ball in the centre clearance and dished it off to Pendles, then he was already off charging towards the 50. No need to tell everyone here what happened next.

He is going to be a powerful unit. I think this is an aspect of his game which is overlooked. He is surprisingly powerfully built and will only get stronger.
I was wondering about this the other day, just how strong and powerful he could get. We know he trains endlessly, so cant wait to see the finished product.

He seemed to win his own ball alright in one of the most iconic Grand Final goals ever. Won the hard ball in the centre clearance and dished it off to Pendles, then he was already off charging towards the 50. No need to tell everyone here what happened next.
Nick and Jordy's effort to get to forward 50 from the centre clearance was exceptional. Brisbane's midfielders were left wanting in one of the biggest moments in the game. That there, was the difference between glory and defeat. Their gut running, their belief and their sheer will to get the ball was just outstanding.

Nick and Jordy's effort to get to forward 50 from the centre clearance was exceptional. Brisbane's midfielders were left wanting in one of the biggest moments in the game. That there, was the difference between glory and defeat. Their gut running, their belief and their sheer will to get the ball was just outstanding.
That was part of it, but then it was sheer brilliance from both of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos…..three champions, premiership players.. Peter is still the greatest and a really nice bloke. Can work an audience. And his torpedo goals from outside 50, I will never forget…. The younger ones need to unleash the torp in 2024.
Leigh gave Peter a license to unleash a torp, I'm not sure Fly have given the boys the same. I'd love to see it though, would bring the house down!

Seems I've got a few on the main board in a tizz with my thread about this fella being the potential GOAT...

To be fair you are doing it specifically to tease the reactions. I think on talent and potential you could be right that he’ll end up in the mix, the same way I thought Messi might end up up there when I first saw him play for Barcelona as a 17yo, but so much needs to happen to even be considered that it’s a pointless debate until at least half way through his career.

The main joy I get from Nick is seeing him redefine the game and what it means to dominate in it (inside vs outside, HB to mid sweeping position, one-two handball and diagonal kicks no else attempts). In fact between him, Butters, Sheezel and a few others we’re about to see some new attacking moves in the game which is great and will make it hard to compare to past midfielders on a statistical basis.

To be fair you are doing it specifically to tease the reactions. I think on talent and potential you could be right that he’ll end up in the mix, the same way I thought Messi might end up up there when I first saw him play for Barcelona as a 17yo, but so much needs to happen to even be considered that it’s a pointless debate until at least half way through his career.

The main joy I get from Nick is seeing him redefine the game and what it means to dominate in it (inside vs outside, HB to mid sweeping position, one-two handball and diagonal kicks no else attempts). In fact between him, Butters, Sheezel and a few others we’re about to see some new attacking moves in the game which is great and will make it hard to compare to past midfielders on a statistical basis.
Daicos, Sheezel and Ashcroft are going to be the new Buckley/Voss/Hird of their generation imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back