Game Day 2022 Federal Election!

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a bit torn by the various “teal” independent campaigns. I like what some of them will bring to parliament if elected and I think the current government is well past its use-by date. So if their success results in a change of government I see that as a good thing. I’m not particularly worried by the scare campaign of “chaos” if they hold the balance of power either. That just shows that the LNP acknowledges them as a serious threat to re-election. The so-called chaos may actually do more good than harm anyway.

My concern is that any success they have will be at the expense of the few sane moderates left in the Liberal Party.
This will have the effect of shifting the parliamentary Liberal Party even further to the right (it would be anything but “liberal”).

While we may scoff at a lot of the me-tooism of the major parties, the fact that they have considerable overlap (many Liberal “wets” have been more left than the Labor right wingers over the years) has meant we have generally had fairly centrist government for the last 40 years or more.

Removing a lot of the moderates from the Liberal Party could have a polarising effect. This may be exacerbated by the Libs pitching to capture One Nation votes or preferences. I doubt Labor would move from its broadly centre-left position. However there might be a vacuum in the centre for moderates who don’t want to vote Labor.

Perhaps it will create an opening for a breakaway party of genuine liberals? That would make for an interesting election in 2025.

Any other ideas on how the loss of moderates might play out? Will it lock the Libs into a right wing position for years to come or will they somehow regain their balance? Will they be too scared to field moderate candidates at future elections?

Previously the Labor party split and caused them to stay in opposition for decades. IF the Liberal Party decides to shift ‘right’ then they will suffer the same fate.

This isn’t a good thing for democracy…. Unless ICAC actually happens and then the Liberals may get to form a coalition with the Teal when Labor gets on the nose again.

I am a bit torn by the various “teal” independent campaigns. I like what some of them will bring to parliament if elected and I think the current government is well past its use-by date. So if their success results in a change of government I see that as a good thing. I’m not particularly worried by the scare campaign of “chaos” if they hold the balance of power either. That just shows that the LNP acknowledges them as a serious threat to re-election. The so-called chaos may actually do more good than harm anyway.

My concern is that any success they have will be at the expense of the few sane moderates left in the Liberal Party.
This will have the effect of shifting the parliamentary Liberal Party even further to the right (it would be anything but “liberal”).

While we may scoff at a lot of the me-tooism of the major parties, the fact that they have considerable overlap (many Liberal “wets” have been more left than the Labor right wingers over the years) has meant we have generally had fairly centrist government for the last 40 years or more.

Removing a lot of the moderates from the Liberal Party could have a polarising effect. This may be exacerbated by the Libs pitching to capture One Nation votes or preferences. I doubt Labor would move from its broadly centre-left position. However there might be a vacuum in the centre for moderates who don’t want to vote Labor.

Perhaps it will create an opening for a breakaway party of genuine liberals? That would make for an interesting election in 2025.

Any other ideas on how the loss of moderates might play out? Will it lock the Libs into a right wing position for years to come or will they somehow regain their balance? Will they be too scared to field moderate candidates at future elections?
Me too, DW, it's an AMA plot to insert female medicos into Federal Parliament

Previously the Labor party split and caused them to stay in opposition for decades. IF the Liberal Party decides to shift ‘right’ then they will suffer the same fate.

The Right of the ALP was expelled after the 1955 ALP National Conference in Tasmania. What was left was an ideologically unified but unelectable Party, brief governments led by Whitlam, Hawke-Keating (the most successful of the 3 and the most worthwhile government since WW11, possibly since Federation) and Rudd-Gillard aside, the ALP has been in the wilderness ever since, it even failed to win the unwinnable. Despite dramatic demographic change since 1955, there's no reason to think that the Libs will be any different. If it loses NSW and Vic moderates to erstaz ALP/Greens, it'll lose government for at least a term but if it maintains balance, only one term, maybe it's time for a break anyway.

Last edited:
The Legal system operates with an opposite philosophy, It is better that 10 guilty escape than 1 innocent suffer. All the Mitchell politicians say Legal system 1 Scrag nil.

I agree with the presumption of innocence in the regular legal system, when the stakes are high for the accused. Going to prison is a much bigger consequence than being kicked out of office. Greiner seems to have had an incredibly successful career since losing his position as Premier. Good for him.

If the cost of having a slightly overzealous ICAC is that a few non-corrupt pollies have their political career cut short, I think that as a society we can live with that cost. As long as the benefit is that we can catch or, even better, deter more corruption. We could even set up a compensation scheme for pollies who lost their jobs due to ICAC mistakes. All of that would be a perfectly reasonable price to pay to prevent corruption.

Last edited:
I agree with the presumption of innocence in the regular legal system, when the stakes are high for the accused. Going to prison is a much bigger consequence than being kicked out of office. Greiner seems to have had an incredibly successful career since losing his position as Premier. Good for him.
Greiner was LCP, O'Farrell ALP, both decent human beings and superior contributors to their State. It's not where you come from, it's where you are going and who you take with you that count. Political preferences, who would you pefer, Berejikiion or Andrews?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Switched on the debate right as they were bringing up the alleged bullying of a deceased lady, who died of a heart attack. I can't be the only one who finds it somewhat repulsive that they are leveraging her death to make a political point?
This particular campaign has been the nastiest and least helpful to voters as I can remember.

How anyone in a bushfire and flood affected seat can vote for Morrison is absolutely baffling...
The seat of Cook wasn't inflicted by bushfires or by floods. We live in a Westminster Federation, not a US presidency. Don't let your political dispositions torment you.

While I'm on a roll ...

The article I quoted from the Conversation suggests there are few if any direct academic benefits in going to a private school.

There is an argument to be made that at the top end (not the poorer Catholic schools) you buy your way into old-boy/old-girl networks that will benefit your child later in life, not so much at university. While I'm sure there are many instances of that I'm agnostic on whether it can make a poorer kid upwardly mobile. Our family has examples of both private and public schooling and their life outcomes seem pretty random and unconnected to what school system they went through.

There is also an argument that kids coming out of government schools tend to do better at university because they haven't been spoon-fed and already know how to study, do research and fend for themselves. Anecdotal accounts and my limited observation suggest there is a small element of truth in this but overall both private and government school kids span the whole spectrum of university performance. I think inner drive and discipline has a much bigger effect than the school system they come from.

Religious conviction is a separate matter. There is a small but significant percentage of parents who want their kid to be educated in the context of the family's chosen religion. Fair enough. That's worth paying for if it means that much to you. The government system is meant to be entirely secular.

Another reason often cited for choosing private schools is to avoid the rough elements, anti-social behaviour and the drug culture. From my limited experience of this there isn't much basis for it. In fact private school kids have been reported as being more susceptible to drug problems because they tend to have more money. And bBullying can be just as rife at private schools as it is at government schools.
There is a lot of truth in what you say DW. I went to to a private school, I guess the advantage was the extra curriculum activities like skiing, horse riding, and extra tuition etc and the school tie did count for something (it wasn’t in Australia) But the social issues were parents preoccupied and not having a clue what their kids were doing and easy access to money for drugs. However I still sent my kids to a small private school, which was a feeder school for a grammar school at year 11.

My youngest hated it and begged to go to the local high school, he was miserable there, I eventually caved in and let him go, with a lot of trepidation, but the teachers were amazing, so dedicated and he and his class outdid the private school for their TER scores. I felt really ashamed to have judged them, and I am now a staunch supporter of public schools.

My advice for what it’s worth, is send your kids to a public school, and spend the money you saved on good overseas holidays for the family, that is a good learning experience.

Why is no one in here talking about UAP?

Wake up people Liberal and Labor are the same thing!!!!

Only 1 party has said how they will pay off the debt as well as saving your homes!

Do you want to be locked up again too? GOD NO!!!

Do you want to end medical apartheid? HELL YEAH!!

Clive will bring in a bill of rights to save us all.

I will leave all you sheep with this
"Thats my kind of party! UNITED AUSTRALIA PARTY!"
-Clive Palmer 31st Prime Minister of Australia

Only 1 party has said how they will pay off the debt as well as saving your homes!

Clive Palmer stole money from his own employees…. How is anyone to take this thief seriously when he proposes anything. His only aim then was to line his own pockets and that is the same now.

No one is talking about them because they are a joke of a party. Mass advertising campaign designed to sucker in fools to get Palmer some power in order for him to better line his pockets. Most people see right through it.

Clive Palmer stole money from his own employees…. How is anyone to take this thief seriously when he proposes anything. His only aim then was to line his own pockets and that is the same now.
No one is talking about them because they are a joke of a party. Mass advertising campaign designed to sucker in fools to get Palmer some power in order for him to better line his pockets. Most people see right through it.
FE71mVhVQAAilH1.jpeg

Fed politics are to determine what the whole of the people of the Continent want, not just inner Melbourne and Sydney.
I am in a rural area and grew up in the country. And I want anyone but LNP.
Unfortunately, the candidates in my electorate all seem pretty unimpressive.

Are you living in a rural area, or do you just speak for we rural voters?

Would be a miracle for Craig Kelly to get within cooee of even holding his own seat. He's got less than 2 weeks left in politics.

Sportsbet are giving $12 odds for the great man to win. The government should bet $125,000,000 on that to pay off the countries debt!

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2022 Federal Election!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back