Player Watch Charlie Dean

Remove this Banner Ad

If he’s been running for weeks why is he still 6 weeks away from returning?
probably since he has missed quite a time unable to run, so they want to give some decent time to get back up to speed. But once the injury report comes out tonight, we'll see where he is at.

probably since he has missed quite a time unable to run, so they want to give some decent time to get back up to speed. But once the injury report comes out tonight, we'll see where he is at.

I would imagine a break in the foot bones probably flair up when excessive running too, although that's a uneducated guess. Probably easing him back so no long term issues emerge.

Nothing to see here, classic Collingwood 2 weeker. They simply took a piece of Nathan Freeman's hamstring and tied his foot back on. All good now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t think a 17+ week foot injury is concerning?
Do you genuinely think it’s taking 17 weeks for his foot to heal, or could there be some other strange reason why an athlete playing a game that requires a high aerobic capacity could take a long time to return from an injury that prevents him from running for a couple of months?

Do you genuinely think it’s taking 17 weeks for his foot to heal, or could there be some other strange reason why an athlete playing a game that requires a high aerobic capacity could take a long time to return from an injury that prevents him from running for a couple of months?
I spotted him leaving training.

wheelchair meaning GIF

Right, so 17+ weeks is the normal return time for an AFL footballer who fractures their foot? I didn't know that.

Right, so 17+ weeks is the normal return time for an AFL footballer who fractures their foot? I didn't know that.

Surely someone as intelligent as yourself would understand the complications that may arise from a foot fracture that required surgery for an elite athlete who's profession is to primarily run and kick a leather ball...

It would be 8 weeks off the foot while the bone heals. Then another ~8 weeks of fitness training to get back to match fitness. Wade has talked about returning players fitness so they don't break down in a match at full intensity. He would prefer a player break down in training rather than a game. This process is stepped out and takes time to do properly. Theres some good videos floating around where he discusses it. I'm comfortable with the approach he takes and I don't think the timelines concerning.

Ah, so would complications be deemed as concerning?
I think it comes down to each persons definition of concerning. Take JT and Scharenberg who both had significant feet issues before 21 (way beyond what Dean is going through) yet it had no lasting impact on the careers. Wade was pretty up front that it was a 10-12 week injury, but it didn’t heal as well as they’d hoped by the 6 week mark so they had to pull him back. It’s concerning to me that he hasn’t had senior minutes in Roughead’s absence which is somewhat of a missed opportunity the injury itself not so concerning.

There are certain types of fractures in the bones of the feet which are notorious for not healing well on their own. I assume Dean’s stress fracture is one of those. Then you’re looking at giving it more time or going in surgically and putting a screw in, to aid healing. After doing that you’re going to be reviewing it after three weeks, six weeks etc. Add in running loads, kicking a footy… there’s quite a few variables and as supporters, a lot of unknowns.

Having said all that, it is a big missed opportunity and very disappointing for a player the club clearly rates, as they extended his contract before having played a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Charlie Dean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back