Opinion Non-Crows AFL 5: Save Ken

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had some real COVID issues just before the season and you could see how lethargic many of their guys were during 0 and 5.

That won't happen next year.

Get enough games against bottom 10 to 12 sides to win 13 games is all they need.

Like ants lapping up spilt honey, their supporters will ride that sugar hit and tell us all how great they are.

As they were this time last year. Top four built on a foundation of flat tracking.

Have a look at how they demolished Essendon, the players still want him there. They had fun doing it. The actual club seems united internally behind Ken. So no reason why won't continue next year beating up on lower teams. As they have this year since 0 and 5.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. They'll also add another missing piece - Aaron Francis the most likely.

I know I am in the massive minority, but I think that Port are making the correct decision in keeping Kenny for one more year. They made the prelim the last two years and are having a very down year, but they had 10 games this year decided by less than 15 points and only won 2 of them.

They will have an earlier offseason this year, an easier fixture next year combined with pick 7 or 8.

If their barometer Dixon can repeat his 2020/2021 form then they are every chance of jumping back into the top 4.

If you look at the last two minutes they had so many chances to "win/ice" the game.

Boak missing a routine set shot from 40m out 2m06 remaining.

Port mark the ball defensive 50m 1m03 remaining.

This began a sequence of three marks by Port players with 33seconds remaining and the ball is at the wing.

Ball up 25 seconds remaining at the wing still.

Houston with a kick from the wing and free airs it to a Crows player.

9 seconds remaining missed mark inside defensive 50m.

If Mayes doesnt touch Murphy, Port win. Thatst the irony. Murphy had no time, even if he had taken possession and tried to kick at goal. Not to mention wouldnt have made the journey.

So many fails by Port.

Just watched the goal 15 times in 3 minutes. It's so easy to hate Port :)

I know I am in the massive minority, but I think that Port are making the correct decision in keeping Kenny for one more year. They made the prelim the last two years and are having a very down year, but they had 10 games this year decided by less than 15 points and only won 2 of them.

They will have an earlier offseason this year, an easier fixture next year combined with pick 7 or 8.

If their barometer Dixon can repeat his 2020/2021 form then they are every chance of jumping back into the top 4.
I don't think they have any choice in whether they keep Ken (as they can't afford the pay out) but I agree he should see out his contract or at least to round 15 next year.

I'm actually hopeful it will help.

As I have mentioned before, I suspect the umpiring issue has been largely about the position of the umpires in the last year or two. If you watch where they stand during play, it is mostly in the middle part of the ground, around 40 m away from the action. This is done purely so the umpires don't get in the TV cameras view. It's ridiculous. No wonder they can't see anything.

Going to 4 umpires means that you have one umpire on either side of a contest at all times (because the umpires overlap).

It SHOULD make it better, so they don't miss the obvious frees.

Of course this is the AFL, and they have a great ability to F@#$ everything up.

That's not why they stand there. The umps need to be able to keep up with the play, and standing in the middle makes it easier to do that. And the ball can move a lot quicker than they can, so they can't get too close.

I think it'll just take time.

Covid created a few issues.

Take mobile ticketing for example. If there's a breakdown in technology, you can have an issue. Take the last game of 2020 for example vs Richmond. Ticketek never sent out the texts to me for the game. So I had no mobile ticket on hand, I had to rush from where I was umpiring (University Oval so easy), but we had to jump in the queue as we had no ticket to get through the gate, missed the first 5-10 minutes of the game due to that.

Stuff like that can make people hesitant to bother again going forward. The AFL mid-late this year did say they're going to return to paper ticketing though. So that issue is alleviated.

But as each club has an up period, they should regain the bandwagon. Then once back on board, when the club does drop off again, every excuse under the sun wont be there like it currently has been during hte covid years.

I believe each club will get their crowds back, but it'll be on the back of onfield performance though.
I think one thing that COVID did was break the habit. We are all creatures of habit and every second week we prepare for a home game of footy and our weekends are organised accordingly. When COVID hit, we got out of the habit... and we saw we could enjoy the footy from the comfort of our own home, no hassle with parking or exorbitant costs of food etc.

Do not agree with that at all, Burgoyne isn't even the best indigeanous player of the modern era - he was nowhere near McLeod. Burgoyne was a good player with longjevity, he only made one AA team accross his long career.

Think you need to reasess this.

Shaun might not even be the best player in his family

Peter didn’t have the longevity but wow he was a serious player at his best

They don’t win the 2004 flag without him, he was huge

I think one thing that COVID did was break the habit. We are all creatures of habit and every second week we prepare for a home game of footy and our weekends are organised accordingly. When COVID hit, we got out of the habit... and we saw we could enjoy the footy from the comfort of our own home, no hassle with parking or exorbitant costs of food etc.
Yep, those who didn't have Kayo/Foxtel already would have signed up in droves.

That stat about losing 8 games by 15 points or less is interesting.

But I think it ignores that, in many of those games, they allowed a HUGE lead, and scrambled to come back and fall short. The Carlton game in particular comes to mind, but I'm certain I remember several games that went that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That stat about losing 8 games by 15 points or less is interesting.

But I think it ignores that, in many of those games, they allowed a HUGE lead, and scrambled to come back and fall short. The Carlton game in particular comes to mind, but I'm certain I remember several games that went that way.

Yes a number of games were like that - Carlton, Melbourne, Geelong, Collingwood and Fremantle

The antithesis of the Motlop goal. That was their genuine 1 in a 100 goal. I must've watched that one about 100 times after the game. The clearance goes our way, but because a Port player gets a fingernail into Greenwood's guernsey he's dragged off the kick and it goes directly to the one Port player with 15m of space, who roosts it forwards where ballwatching Dougy decides not to front and centre but both violently takes out Gov and gets just enough of a fingertip on the ball to deviate the ball away from the contest and onto Mackay's foot. From which it bounces straight into a Port player's hand who passes to Motlop.

Any one of those events changes by the slightest amount. One of those balls bounces the other way and we win. Every single one of those events had to happen exactly as it did, and it did.
I am not sure if you are blaming Dougie (so apologies if you aren't), but I think judging Dougie on a split second decision is a bit harsh and I remember many blaming him at the time. That happens at any other point in the game and we are applauding his courage. The ball also still then had to bounce the right way for Motlop. It was just a freak event as you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back