Review Ex Giants player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, that's why we were happy to let him go to Bombers when we did. He put everything into that first year with them, and had a great season, but it was all down hill from there with his knee degenerating.

It is a shame - when GWS began, I really loved what he brought to the team up forward personally and in combo with Jezza, his great mate. Always hoped that they'd stay at GWS for their whole careers, and they would have been great. (Add in Tobes, and at the peak of their powers it would be a formidable forward line.)

I did think at the time he left that he was a bit ungrateful, wanting to be a midfielder but really without the full set of skills to displace guys we had, but I don't harbour any ill-will towards him. Good luck with the rest of your life, Dev. And if you have kids, put in a good word for the Giants!

Well, that's why we were happy to let him go to Bombers when we did. He put everything into that first year with them, and had a great season, but it was all down hill from there with his knee degenerating.

It is a shame - when GWS began, I really loved what he brought to the team up forward personally and in combo with Jezza, his great mate. Always hoped that they'd stay at GWS for their whole careers, and they would have been great. (Add in Tobes, and at the peak of their powers it would be a formidable forward line.)

I did think at the time he left that he was a bit ungrateful, wanting to be a midfielder but really without the full set of skills to displace guys we had, but I don't harbour any ill-will towards him. Good luck with the rest of your life, Dev. And if you have kids, put in a good word for the Giants!
Yes. He looked like a real gem and then injuries and inconsistent form became normal in his career.
I hope his body recovers and he finds success outside footy.

Wish him well.
I must admit I expected more of Devon. He was very talented and as youngster I thought he could be anything.
I remember Dermie naming him as one of the players he had no doubt would win AA selection. I guess he won a BnF and a AA top 40, so it is a pretty good career.

Jake Barrett still the best player running around in the Riverina

Attachments

• 20220928_194553.jpg
    20220928_194553.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 73
Cameron obviously the big one we really miss when he left, Steele fantastic as well, Taranto might be one in a few years but outside of that is there really one we're kicking ourselves over that we lost? Too many guys too count that flamed out after 1 contract with another team, Treloar, Shiel, Williams, Corr would think that the clubs that gave them those contracts probably regret it, nice players but not worth the big deal that we would've been forced to sign them to. Hopper is a good player but 7 years for him seems a bridge too far, just have bad vibes about that contract can't really explain it.

Hopper is a good player but 7 years for him seems a bridge too far, just have bad vibes about that contract can't really explain it.
He's got a pretty poor injury history with niggles or worse every year, which is generally a red flag for these longer contracts.

He's got a pretty poor injury history with niggles or worse every year, which is generally a red flag for these longer contracts.
His knee issues last year is a bit of a worry for me, I've been worried about that all the way since he had the first surgery but to have 2 within like 6 months and it was never really clear on what the diagnosis was makes me nervous

His knee issues last year is a bit of a worry for me, I've been worried about that all the way since he had the first surgery but to have 2 within like 6 months and it was never really clear on what the diagnosis was makes me nervous
Im not really too concerned about his injury really
He was reasonably durable until 2022 and the knee issue occurred which these days is pretty well diagnosed and repaired
Jacob will play the last year of the 7 year deal as a 32 year old and not many quality mids retire of drop off badly before that and if we get 130+ games in 7 years it will be well worth the trade.

Tom Lynch & Dion Prestia both arrived at Richmond with previous knee injuries , Dion is now 30 and played 97 games and will most likely be on the list another 3 seasons and should play 150 for Richmond

Lynch is also 30 years old and should be good for another 3-4 years and has played 81 games so again 150 games is possible and both would have played 7+ years

Really think both the Taranto & Hopper trades will be a win win for both clubs and the trades were executed with class from both teams.

Lets hope the Callaghan & Stone deals do so as well ;)

Jake Stein linked to the Suns - possibly a DFA, more likely a Rookie draft - either way, good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS GIANTS

Jarrod Brander (delisted) –
Wentworth (Sunraysia Football Netball League)

Matt de Boer (retired) – Will put more time and effort into the business he co-founded Athletic Ventures — an investment syndicate for elite athletes (current and former) wanting to invest in and support start-up businesses.

Zach Sproule (delisted) – South Adelaide (SANFL)

ESSENDON

Devon Smith (retired) –
Player and co-coach at Lara (Geelong Football Netball Club)

He was never a picture of health with us, pretty consistently dealing with soft tissue injuries and it hasn't stopped unfortunately at Carlton
Which is why they were foolish to throw the $ at him that they did. Great player when fit, and capable of a match winning cameo through the midfield ... but was always unlikely to fulfill a full-time, $900k p/a midfielder expectation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Ex Giants player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back