Game Day Pre-Season - West Coast vs Adelaide (Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if Adelaide United had the same selection policy as the Crows. A generational talent would be stuck in the youth league until they were over 18 rather than playing with managed game time and being a walking highlights reel, and match winner.
Like Soligo ? Max Michaelanney ? Rachele ?

It’s not the Don Pyke era

Out of everything, what I like the most this preseason is the intent and camaraderie on display. Lots of hard work during the off season is evident and it feels to me like the group believes they can progress together. It feels like a squad ready to take the next step and believing they are good enough to do it.

Melt down?..

Relax.. It a conversation.. i’m just pointing out some of the facts.

You really have your cranky pants on of late dontcha!..

Welsh is currently 16 years old… 190cm tall and filling out his body..

View attachment 1621086
He already looks like this..

All I’m saying is if he doesnt grow any taller than he is now which is very possible as his dad isnt that tall.. then he aint gonna be a Tex replacement as Vader stated.

I’m hoping that they push him towards a midfield/forward role in his remaining junior seasons before his draft and he can add more strings to his bow.

He has blistering speed, talent in spades, overhead marking strength and great skills..

Should be able to bring these to the midfield.
For what it's worth, I'm not suggesting he'll be a like-for-like replacement for Walker - Fog probably fills that role. Welsh has very different strengths, and will be his own player.

What I'm suggesting is that he'll be our next high quality, long-term, KPF - coming into his own around the time of (or shortly after) Walker's retirement. In that sense, he will be Walker's successor, even if he's not playing Walker's role.

Melt down?..

View attachment 1621086

All I’m saying is if he doesnt grow any taller than he is now which is very possible as his dad isnt that tall.. then he aint gonna be a Tex replacement as Vader stated.

I’m hoping that they push him towards a midfield/forward role in his remaining junior seasons before his draft and he can add more strings to his bow.

He has blistering speed, talent in spades, overhead marking strength and great skills..

You are melting before something even happens (doesn't grow).
Just be patient.

I’d like two I think. A ready made free agent, and a single digit draft pick “chosen one” type.

We’ve never landed the former in the free agent era, while the latter takes a few years to develop. Hard to see where it comes from.

And the difficulty is, if we're balls out chasing a 9th place finish, which it looks to me that we are: we won't be n range to draft one.

Out of everything, what I like the most this preseason is the intent and camaraderie on display. Lots of hard work during the off season is evident and it feels to me like the group believes they can progress together. It feels like a squad ready to take the next step and believing they are good enough to do it.
Will probably have an affect on players we are trying to bring to the club come end of year too, they will see what Burgess and Nicks have created.

Does anyone else think that Fog & Tex both look significantly slimmer than they have in recent years? They seem to have lost a lot of muscle bulk, which should improve their fitness & speed. Fog obviously still a strong boy, given the way he manhandled some of the Weagle defenders, so Burgess seems to have struck a good balance.

Anyone else willing to admit that our midfield talent is maybe better than first thought ?

If Taylor can get really fit and we are able to draft an A + grader it looks ok to me

Soligo in there looked sensational last night , don’t want him copping too many knocks until his body is ready but long term could be our mid star

As for Rachele ….. he’s doing it with less than half a midfield tank and looks sublime at times

Schoenberg burst speed out of there with ball in hand looks just what we need , and watching him closely last night he was willing to do unrewarded offensive running and also alot in defence , his close down speed is a weapon

Not there yet but midfield is showing some positive signs

…. A really good ruck would be nice
Yeah..

I though we needed to add atleast two more pieces to that midfield puzzle..

Now I reacon just one more will do it.

One elite big bodied midfielder added and we’ll be sweet.

And yes… a decent ruckman needs to be a priority.

At 190cm, unless he’s got more growing in him, I cant see welsh as a tex replacement..

Fog is the tex replacement.
Exactly what I was thinking this morning. Did a bit of Duck Duck Go searching to see if I could work out if Welsh had any height growth to come (but didn’t come to a conclusion).

I also reckon they’ve had enough of being shit and that’s driving them.

And the difficulty is, if we're balls out chasing a 9th place finish, which it looks to me that we are: we won't be n range to draft one.
For better or worse, we are no longer in the draft phase of the rebuild. Trade/FA is where we are at now.

Melt down?..

View attachment 1621086

Love the photo. No need to get him DNA tested. He's definitely his fathers son!

Yeah..

I’d trade in the A grader if possible

Day ( he’s a watch re his midfield form this year )
Phillipou ( Obvs need to watch too )

Either of them my preference

If not possible there is FA and options to move up draft order with future 1st pick

Our draft hand looks pretty good , especially given the future 1st pick potentially in play getting ahead of Welsh bid

2023 draft is fascinating , lots of bottom agers had great seasons last year but were mainly on flanks , be interesting to see who jumps up in midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah..

Dowling and Bond both seemed to be highly rated by Hamish and his crew, one of them may step up to the plate, especially liking the look of Dowling personally, kicking seems to have improved markedly on his junior form.

Like Soligo ? Max Michaelanney ? Rachele ?

It’s not the Don Pyke era

Yeah? I was referring to the Don Pyke era. Post I replied to was using FOG as an example to argue against said selection policy in Don Pyke era where FOG was not played, which Vader is seemingly a proponent of. Context.

As an aside, why include Max Michaelanney, he hasn't played a game. (Practice matches don't count).

Does anyone else think that Fog & Tex both look significantly slimmer than they have in recent years? They seem to have lost a lot of muscle bulk, which should improve their fitness & speed. Fog obviously still a strong boy, given the way he manhandled some of the Weagle defenders, so Burgess seems to have struck a good balance.
Yes, I posted something along those lines when I attended the internal training at Hisense (Richmond Oval) Stadium. I had to look at Fogarty twice and check his number as he was quite toned.

You ruled out the only likely method of obtaining one.
So you've ruled out any of our current crop of midfielders becoming elite. Big call and quite ironic, given the orgasms you've had in this thread calling out Vader's early thoughts on Fogarty.

In any event, we've proven over the past 2 seasons we can trade in talent. I'm not sure why you think drafting is the only method of obtaining elite talent.

Anyone else willing to admit that our midfield talent is maybe better than first thought ?

If Taylor can get really fit and we are able to draft an A + grader it looks ok to me

Soligo in there looked sensational last night , don’t want him copping too many knocks until his body is ready but long term could be our mid star

As for Rachele ….. he’s doing it with less than half a midfield tank and looks sublime at times

Schoenberg burst speed out of there with ball in hand looks just what we need , and watching him closely last night he was willing to do unrewarded offensive running and also alot in defence , his close down speed is a weapon

Not there yet but midfield is showing some positive signs

…. A really good ruck would be nice
The young guys have had a good preseason, but credit where it's due to the coaches for having Laird with two young guys with points of difference for most of the preseason.

It really has changed the midfield and is lights year better than the Laird, Crouch Keays Sloane mids we've been going with the last few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Pre-Season - West Coast vs Adelaide (Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back