Game Day Pre-Season - West Coast vs Adelaide (Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good question AC. Plenty of young people viewing the Grand Canyon when I was there. Many of them sitting out on ledges with a vertical drop of over a kilometer directly below them. Medium age for Phoenix is 33.8 compared with the US as a whole which is 38.1 which reinforces my observation of the place. Regardless, what is wrong with older people living somewhere? They are often more asset rich and have been around enough to see various places and expereince life and so make informed decisions on what is desirable. They are often more secure within themselves as well as less naivie and so not just influenced by a herd mentality or as susceptible to pop culture.

I was stirring.

You want old people, go to Florida, loads of them there.

If Day shows a good amount of midfield form this year I’d offer him huge $$

A player like him IMO is the last missing midfield piece of our youth
Depends , we still need a bigger body to add and I’d use our first in the draft to do it.

Still not convinced he’s mores than wingman but if he could be a Josh Kelly style on baller that would fill a big gap

Did we get Hinge as a DFA? Shows that you can still build a contending list, even if you have some misses with early draft picks (like McAsey).

Murray cost us nothing too and is showing to be an AFL quality KPD (making up for the the McAsey miss). Keays another one that is an important cog to our team and cost us nothing.

Then we have drafted quality young mids with picks outside the first round like Berry, Soligo and Schoenberg. Soligo and Berry both have A grade mid qualities. This helps to make up for missing Serong.

Ideally you want to nail all your early draft picks, but history suggests no team always nail them and can still recover to be a flag contender. You just have to be smart with the other recruiting mechanisms (including trades), which we have been over the last 3 years.

Anyway, just some random thoughts on a Saturday arvo as I sit on the couch 🤓

Did we get Hinge as a DFA? Shows that you can still build a contending list, even if you have some misses with early draft picks (like McAsey).

Murray cost us nothing too and is showing to be an AFL quality KPD (making up for the the McAsey miss). Keays another one that is an important cog to our team and cost us nothing.

Then we have drafted quality young mids with picks outside the first round like Berry, Soligo and Schoenberg. Soligo and Berry both have A grade mid qualities. This helps to make up for missing Serong.

Ideally you want to nail all your early draft picks, but history suggests no team always nail them and can still recover to be a flag contender. You just have to be smart with the other recruiting mechanisms (including trades), which we have been over the last 3 years.

Yes, Hinge was a DFA and Murray was a SSP. So both freebies.

I think this is a case of save these thoughts until we have a contending list.

I do think we're in a good position to build one, but it's still a long way out.

McAdam all of a sudden looks like he belongs at AFL level. Maybe that's because it's a preseason game against the Eagles, but he did look like he'd stepped up from just "showing glimpses".
He showed plenty of signs mid year last year too … a block of games around the brisbane game just a month before Fog came good where he was prob our best forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not implying anything.

Fond memories of Phoenix going to SB49.

Lots of great stuff to see in Arizona - Grand Canyon, part of Monument Valley, Montezuma Castle - to name a few. On the way back to LA you can drop into Vegas 😜😜😜
Ehhh let’s face it, every year I get closer to old fart status anyhow

;)

Have to admit, I had Maxi M at a ultra low probability for a round 1 debut about a month ago.

He's much higher then that.

I'd still prefer he spend a year in a weights room. But the kid is certainly talented enough to get early games. And the stage certainly doesn't seem too big for him.

If he makes it, I'm not complaining

Have to admit, I had Maxi M at a ultra low probability for a round 1 debut about a month ago.

He's much higher then that.

I'd still prefer he spend a year in a weights room. But the kid is certainly talented enough to get early games. And the stage certainly doesn't seem too big for him.

If he makes it, I'm not complaining
Don’t reckon I’d worry too much about his size , he’s going to play on Liam Ryan types all year

Depends , we still need a bigger body to add and I’d use our first in the draft to do it.

Still not convinced he’s mores than wingman but if he could be a Josh Kelly style on baller that would fill a big gap
If you hit the draft, you could go with McAuliffe as a bigger body. I think we can be versatile with who we look for as that last midfield piece, though (as long as they’re 185cm+) - whether it be a big-bodied, bulldozing type or a classy, shifty, evasive type with quality disposal

I think this is a case of save these thoughts until we have a contending list.

I do think we're in a good position to build one, but it's still a long way out.
Aye. We finished 14th last year. Let's see what happens.

Murray could prove to not be good enough. He's still not completely convinced me.
Keays may yet need to be overtaken by the likes of Taylor, Cook or Nankervis to take us from top 8 to contender.
Then it's probable we need another gun midfielder, a ruck and someone to replace Brodie Smith to go to another level.

Last edited:
I don't understand everyone's desire to see Keays overtaken.

He's clearly best 22 and I'd say now a player that would fit on many teams lists, he can play midfield and forward and gut runs all day.

Watched the replay, bloody happy with with Berry, Hinge, Fog, McAdam,Soligo and Dawson.

Looking like steps in the right direction

The good thing about Keays is that he takes risks and runs before we get the ball, he’s also free and can get an easy game. Didak used to do this all the time. He is the only player that does this . You need that, big risk big reward

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't understand everyone's desire to see Keays overtaken.

He's clearly best 22 and I'd say now a player that would fit on many teams lists, he can play midfield and forward and gut runs all day.

Watched the replay, bloody happy with with Berry, Hinge, Fog, McAdam,Soligo and Dawson.

Looking like steps in the right direction
It’s not a desire, just a reality that we have younger players who are supposed to have more talent than him and are actually forwards (Cook, Nankervis) and who knows how the next two years plays out with our performance.
Keays has clearly been moved out of the mids, and Carlton game aside last year, didn’t exactly dominate.
It’s a wait and see for me.

If you hit the draft, you could go with McAuliffe as a bigger body. I think we can be versatile with who we look for as that last midfield piece, though (as long as they’re 185cm+) - whether it be a big-bodied, bulldozing type or a classy, shifty, evasive type with quality disposal
I’m saying we need both.

Use future picks on Day/Hollands

Oh right, we've already got an elite midfield corp, all drafted without the investment of resources. It never happens, but did for us.

My position is entirely consistent with the vindicated position I took on Fogarty: not all players are created equal, you must identify, acquire, prioritise and develop players with elite potential above those who do not have it, not that everyone gets an equal go in the hope they might make it.

How often do elite mids move clubs? We lost one, who else?
It never happens: Geelong's 2022 midfield Danger (#10 FA from Crows), Blicavs (#54 rookie draft), Cam Guthrie (#23 ND), Joel Selwood (#7 ND), Tom Atkins (#11 rookie draft), Isaac Smith (#19 ND), Mark O'Connor (Supp). Mitch Duncan (#28 ND).

One single digit draftee, one elite mid traded from another club and the rest...

I mean mate, I only had to go back 4 months ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Pre-Season - West Coast vs Adelaide (Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back