Game Day Pre-Season - West Coast vs Adelaide (Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

The good thing about Keays is that he takes risks and runs before we get the ball, he’s also free and can get an easy game. Didak used to do this all the time. He is the only player that does this . You need that, big risk big reward

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I liked Soligos handball from midfield - didnt look for a player as there were 2 in front of him and both semi-covered.

Put the ball in front of them and asked they run for it. ( they did and we goaled)

Thats what I want to see more of - not handball to a tackle dummy

I liked Soligos handball from midfield - didnt look for a player as there were 2 in front of him and both semi-covered.

Put the ball in front of them and asked they run for it. ( they did and we goaled)

Thats what I want to see more of - not handball to a tackle dummy
I think I recall Schoenberg doing a few hospital handballs

Did we get Hinge as a DFA? Shows that you can still build a contending list, even if you have some misses with early draft picks (like McAsey).

Murray cost us nothing too and is showing to be an AFL quality KPD (making up for the the McAsey miss). Keays another one that is an important cog to our team and cost us nothing.

Then we have drafted quality young mids with picks outside the first round like Berry, Soligo and Schoenberg. Soligo and Berry both have A grade mid qualities. This helps to make up for missing Serong.

Ideally you want to nail all your early draft picks, but history suggests no team always nail them and can still recover to be a flag contender. You just have to be smart with the other recruiting mechanisms (including trades), which we have been over the last 3 years.

Anyway, just some random thoughts on a Saturday arvo as I sit on the couch 🤓
We did but only because Brisbane couldn't guarantee him an AFL gig....They had a 1 year contract on the table but did the right thing by Mitch knowing we'd offered him a 2 year gig back home.

Thursday, 26 November 2020
Adelaide officially secures former Brisbane defender Mitch Hinge as a delisted free agent.
The 22-year-old has accepted a two-year deal in his home state after knocking back a one-year offer at the Lions and asking to be cut.
"We're delighted to add Mitch to our playing list for season 2021. He stands at 190cm tall and offers plenty of versatility across a wing or half-back," Crows list boss Justin Reid said.
"Mitch is competitive, excellent one-on-one, has a strong left-foot kick and the ability to play either a lockdown role or use his power and attacking skills to break lines."
Mitch Cleary for AFL.com.au

It never happens: Geelong's 2022 midfield Danger (#10 FA from Crows), Blicavs (#54 rookie draft), Cam Guthrie (#23 ND), Joel Selwood (#7 ND), Tom Atkins (#11 rookie draft), Isaac Smith (#19 ND), Mark O'Connor (Supp). Mitch Duncan (#28 ND).

One single digit draftee, one elite mid traded from another club and the rest...

I mean mate, I only had to go back 4 months ;)
To be fair Danger and Selwood are two top ten pick mids. They did trade pick 11 for Danger.
The rest is true though.

The key to Geelongs success was talent on every line.

They didnt draft Danger, thats the point.
The issue is there isn't really an elite SA midfielder in the league that we could get back home like Geelong did with Danger.

The Neale ship has sailed, Port already have Rozee and JHF... who else is there?

It seems very unlikely we'd be able to get an elite non SA player here. Since we've never been able to do that

It’s not a desire, just a reality that we have younger players who are supposed to have more talent than him and are actually forwards (Cook, Nankervis) and who knows how the next two years plays out with our performance.
Keays has clearly been moved out of the mids, and Carlton game aside last year, didn’t exactly dominate.
It’s a wait and see for me.
I don't get me wrong, more than happy to see him not be the first 2 or 3 mids.

Still think he's more than capable first 22 player.

They didnt draft Danger, thats the point.
Luckily for Geelong they seem to have players crawling over themselves to want to be traded there (Danger due to his Moggs Creek fantasy, others.. Frank Costa hand shakes).

Adelaide has improved its appearance in terms of being a viable place to move to (Dawson, Rankine).
We will need that elite talent to be from Adelaide and have connections with us.

The question is who?

I don't get me wrong, more than happy to see him not be the first 2 or 3 mids.

Still think he's more than capable first 22 player.
I hope he is, and performs well. I can also see argument that if he isn’t a starting mid there’s potential sitting outside the 22 to go past him. End of the day there’s only so many spots in midfield, half forward and bench.

The issue is there isn't really an elite SA midfielder in the league that we could get back home like Geelong did with Danger.

The Neale ship has sailed, Port already have Rozee and JHF... who else is there?

It seems very unlikely we'd be able to get an elite non SA player here. Since we've never been able to do that
Elijah Hollands being a crows fan growing up and going to a team with minimal support like GC should be a target. Does he become an elite mid? Not sure yet.

Phillipou is the other one that comes to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luckily for Geelong they seem to have players crawling over themselves to want to be traded there (Danger due to his Moggs Creek fantasy, others.. Frank Costa hand shakes).

Adelaide has improved its appearance in terms of being a viable place to move to (Dawson, Rankine).
We will need that elite talent to be from Adelaide and have connections with us.

The question is who?
There are no elite free agent mids from SA coming up in the next few years that aren't already at an SA club.

The best we can hope for is Phillipou turning into a gun, and us trading for him.

The stocks are bare. SA just hasn't produced the talent for us to pick from.

There are no elite free agent mids from SA coming up in the next few years that aren't already at an SA club.

The best we can hope for is Phillipou turning into a gun, and us trading for him.

Well the club better go bloody hard for him then.
In our position they don’t really need to be free agents, just out of contract so we can trade our draft picks (have enough youth on the list).

The question is who?

Class (high picks or proven talent that has an SA connection (or Crows connection)

Pickett
Day
NWM
Cox
Redman
Hollands
Himmelberg
Phillipou
Stephens

Anyone else?

Class (high picks or proven talent that has an SA connection (or Crows connection)

Pickett
Day
NWM
Cox
Redman
Hollands
Himmelberg
Phillipou
Stephens

Anyone else?

Not discounting the list but the discussion is primarily around centre square mids.
Hollands and Phillipou are the only obvious players out there.

Pickett
Day
NWM
Cox
Redman
Hollands
Himmelberg
Phillipou
Stephens

Anyone else?

Harry Barnett and Jakob Ryan we had interest in as well as Phillipou, just didn;t have the capital once Michalanney went earlier than we anticipated.

2 years to get in their ear then who knows?

Harry Barnett and Jakob Ryan we had interest in as well as Phillipou, just didn;t have the capital once Michalanney went earlier than we anticipated.

2 years to get in their ear then who knows?
If Thilthorpe becomes a ruck Barnett may not be our best option to target.
Phillipou should be though. Has he extended his initial contract?

Im not that concerned about it tbh. You look at what Geelong brought to last years GF and the profile is hardly awe inspiring. What Geelong did/do really well is play to their strengths.

We've already had one opposition coach this year recognise "pressure at the contest" as our signature. Our score off turnovers this pre-season is back to a healthy level. Our disposal seems to have been a focus preseason. We are carrying the ball further in transition making our F50 entries more potent, and we have the cattle and variety up there to make us a difficult match up.

There is no copy/paste template in the AFL. Teams who build game plans around their squad strengths are the ones that succeed. I feel we are building a tenacious, super fit squad with loads of scoring power. Dont mind it at all.

I think it’s going to take us 3 off-seasons to fill the gaps.

Wanganeen-Milera, Himmelburg (FA) and Day this year?
Draft Moir this year.
Trade for Hollands next year.
Get a decent ruck end of 2025.
Redman as an FA should be a priority. I like NWM, but the Saints will want a first for him, and is he really THAT much of a need? Agree on HH if he plays well as a KPD (although the Giants seem to be aiming to play him as a forward again).

Best chances are Day and Phillipou - need to watch them closely then project where they could end up

The other option is pushing our 1st rounder higher with future pick and getting an A grader at least

The other options are getting Taylor and Rachele super fit and those 2 + Soligo Berry Schoenberg Dawson forming a very good rounder midfield with most traits you require

I like the trade option most

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Pre-Season - West Coast vs Adelaide (Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back