Preview Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 8th April, 7:30PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • Suns

Votes: 15 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason I'm less confident about this game than I have been the other three. Very St Kilda game to drop, right when the going gets good.

Stinks of Essendon 2022 to me, especially if Wood is out. Only so many injuries we can cover for - hope I'm wrong.

I think we could go deep in finals
Just need the kids to last till the senior players come back from injury then if they need a rest they can freshen up
Wont be long and we will have a choice of king hayes skunk hammer pou owens higgo butts up fwd
Owens and pou might start getting small runs threw the guts

Seriously more excited than i think i have ever been
Even more than 04 and 09

Next few years are just going to be brilliant to look fwd to
I think a lot of us share your excitement, particularly with the number of young players on our list..no doubt a few more will be added in the upcoming strong draft!
Looking further ahead, hopefully a couple of father sons too!!

Steele, King & Membrey walk up starts!
Steele is missed but getting King back into the forward line will improve us considerably - the best contested mark in the competition last year - he will give us a massive lift in the forward line.
Membery is a great player but the other 2 are momentum shifters.

As the week goes on and we get good news like Wood maybe available and Nas re-signing, I am getting that old horrible feeling that we drop a game we should win on Saturday and burst our bubbles.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Too nervous to trust them fully just yet.
Almost like everyone is waiting for the shoe to drop.

Essendon beat Gold Coast at Marvel, so we really should win.
Media are trying to hype up Gold Coast's win against the Cats.
But the Cats are truly a pale shadow of themselves, at the minute.
I think we can hold Ben King & Jack Lukosius's influence.
And kick a decent score against their backline.
The midfield battle will be the most interesting facet of the game.

Gold Coast have a really solid midfield, but I’m not sure their forward half can put a score on the board the beats us.

Ben King is still working back to his best from the knee injury, and Battle & Wilkie should blanket Lukosius.

I’m not 100% confident but I’d expect that we’ll be in a position to win for the majority of the night.

As long as we contain the impact of Witts and Rowell to a manageable level we should hold them at arms length and win by 4 plus goals. I can’t see RTB allowing the group to take the foot off the pedal. GC also due for a letdown after last weeks win against the Cats.
I mean we’re probably due for a let down after our first 3 wins

I’ve been trying to think of a comparison for Chito, cos everyone seems to love them… and I’m not sure I can.

The usual Bont/Dusty/Fyfe/Dangerfield mid-forward stuff doesn’t cut it. He’s basically a full-time forward at the moment, and he doesn’t have quite the class of that mob… yet…

Then I went old school, and thought Gablett Snr, as an undersized marking target forward… after all, the Chito can take a PURE grab… but that’s not an accurate one either…

I really don’t think we HAVE a proper comparison for the big dog… and I think that’s why he’s been such a horror matchup for everyone we’ve played so far!

At this rate… even when the “names” are back… I think we have to seriously consider playing him as a forward 90% of the time…

Get someone in to give him some goalkicking lessons! They all go wide right, if you notice such things.

I’ve been trying to think of a comparison for Chito, cos everyone seems to love them… and I’m not sure I can.

The usual Bont/Dusty/Fyfe/Dangerfield mid-forward stuff doesn’t cut it. He’s basically a full-time forward at the moment, and he doesn’t have quite the class of that mob… yet…

Then I went old school, and thought Gablett Snr, as an undersized marking target forward… after all, the Chito can take a PURE grab… but that’s not an accurate one either…

I really don’t think we HAVE a proper comparison for the big dog… and I think that’s why he’s been such a horror matchup for everyone we’ve played so far!

At this rate… even when the “names” are back… I think we have to seriously consider playing him as a forward 90% of the time…

Get someone in to give him some goalkicking lessons! They all go wide right, if you notice such things.
It's amazing a kid of his size to have that step and speed to follow up and lay tackles, it's like have a 192cm goal sneak

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As long as we contain the impact of Witts and Rowell to a manageable level we should hold them at arms length and win by 4 plus goals. I can’t see RTB allowing the group to take the foot off the pedal. GC also due for a letdown after last weeks win against the Cats.

Yep, got to make sure that we don't get smashed out of the middle. We'll miss Steele a lot more this week. The Dons don't have a really gun extractor or dominant ruck so Seb Ross was able to get a heap of clearances. He's going to have to back it up this week and Crouch is going to have to do his usual 30 possessions. That looks like their only real advantage over us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One good thing about ticking off another decade is I’m at stage in my life now where I can drop the years of football watching to add weight to any comparisons.
In that, in 40 years of supporting the Saints, I can’t recall a player that thrives on body contact as much as Owens. Absolutely invites it and seeks it out. Then flourishes.
An absolute beast of a footballer that is going to carry an aura about him for many many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is definitely elements there. Pretty hard to compare a kid to someone who is probably the GOAT of the league but that deceptive body strength and tall and small game is very Ablett. His possession numbers and run suggest someone like Ryan O'Keefe who was a bit of a small tall forward with running power.

One good thing about ticking off another decade is I’m at stage in my life now where I can drop the years of football watching to add weight to any comparisons.
In that, in 40 years of supporting the Saints, I can’t recall a player that thrives on body contact as much as Owens. Absolutely invites it and seeks it out. Then flourishes.
An absolute beast of a footballer that is going to carry an aura about him for many many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe his nearly namesake Rod Owen.

Yeah we do.

Watch this, especially at 50 seconds into it:

Good call. Hasn't got quite as much of the defensive mania of Hammil but does have a similar game in his rangy running patterns.

Too nervous to trust them fully just yet.
Almost like everyone is waiting for the shoe to drop.

Too many good players in great form to have a significant dropoff at this stage.

Our coaches are also excellent in extracting every ounce out of the players.

Its the Suns at Marvel, we "should" win... confidence is infectious and we need to stop doubting.

Hope our supporters line the stadium and give our boys great support.

Would love to see 30+++ there.

Last edited:

Rod Owens. Without the baggage, is my best guess.
Edit: Sandra’d by gringo2011

Too many good players in great form to have a significant dropoff at this stage.

Its the Suns at Metricon, we "should" win... confidence is infectious and we need to stop doubting.

Actually, it’s at Marvel - which I assume you meant.

I’ll be there. Loving what I’m seeing ( of course) but I still think it’s natural, and self- protective to be realistic. I have faith in Ross but 1/4 of this team is really young, and will tire.

This are no “should” wins, in the past it’s the game like this we have dropped.

The benefits to being 4 zip are remarkable, so just trying to keep a lid on my emotions.

I keep remembering 8-3 last year, and so I’m not fully all in yet for finals this season. I wanted RTB back at the club from even before it became a thing, so I am rapt about and do realise however that the future is far brighter than it’s been for a decade.

Its the Suns at Metricon, we "should" win... confidence is infectious and we need to stop doubting.

The game is in Melbourne?
Edit: Sandra’d by Diehard Saint
I think I should just shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back