Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Gus's metres gained certainly down so far this year, matches up with what the eye sees.
Apparently just posting stats is enough to set some people off these days.
Metres gained is the worst stat of all time. If he was bombing 50m to a pack all his career and this year he's hitting 25m kicks into the corridor his metres gained would go down

Metres gained is the worst stat of all time. If he was bombing 50m to a pack all his career and this year he's hitting 25m kicks into the corridor his metres gained would go down

Disposal efficiency the worst stat in the AFL.

Its hands down the worst stat in league, if you're kicking inside 50 and you hit 6 targets from 12 kicks your going at 50%
Terrible percentage overall but brilliant I50 retention
Think you forgot to change to your alts before posting these. You can't have three different stats that are the worst.

I’ve seen photos of Brayshaw in the gym deadlifting pretty serious weights and clearly to run out AFL games he must be aerobically fit.

The club would have all sorts of stats on every player. Metres covered, speed of travel, strength testing, agility.

If he was not hitting required standards prior to the game or during games he wouldn’t be playing.

Remember OMac a few years back where they stopped him playing and made him do another mini pre-season half way through the year.

I’m not as concerned about whether he looks super fit or not, but he’s definitely been underwhelming this year.

All horrifically bad stats
That I can get around.

What would be the stats that you want Gus to be elite in for that HBF position? Intercept possessions and score involvements? At least they'd show he's winning the ball back and using it effectively enough that we generate a score.

Or are you more of a "look and feel" pundit?

That I can get around.

What would be the stats that you want Gus to be elite in for that HBF position? Intercept possessions and score involvements? At least they'd show he's winning the ball back and using it effectively enough that we generate a score.

I think the measures you called out are the best ones.

I’d probably add one in around not making an unacceptable level of horrendous errors that give up scores - or at least having the scores he helps generate outweighing the opposition scores he helps to generate.

AFL fantasy points are obviously not a perfect indicator, but it shows Brayshaw has been consistently trending down this season.

IMG_3513.jpeg

That I can get around.

Look first, use stats to back it up. If someone says Brayshaws an elite intercept marker and then he has 0 in the first 5 weeks of the season can't ignore the stats. I'd be surprised if anyone here thought Oliver's Essendon game was better than his Sydney game but he'd be statistically better in the Essendon game easily.

You just wanna see Gus cutting out kicks, laying goal saving tackle or making key spoils. Beating an opponent one or one. Don't care if he has 10 disposals if he's defending at a high level

I’ve seen photos of Brayshaw in the gym deadlifting pretty serious weights and clearly to run out AFL games he must be aerobically fit.

The club would have all sorts of stats on every player. Metres covered, speed of travel, strength testing, agility.

If he was not hitting required standards prior to the game or during games he wouldn’t be playing.

Remember OMac a few years back where they stopped him playing and made him do another mini pre-season half way through the year.

I’m not as concerned about whether he looks super fit or not, but he’s definitely been underwhelming this year.
Criticism comes when you sign a nice fat contract and your form isn't matching what you're receiving from the club. Supporters start looking for things. Things that sometimes were always there I guess. He's a close watch moving forward, but has been below par so far this season.

Was interesting seeing JHF say part of him wishes he didn't go #1 in some ways as it brings more pressure, more scrutiny. Same with signing a fat contract. Brayshaw already been humbled after saying he wants midfield time and then not getting it this season. I kind of wonder if someone like Disco could do as well(if not better) on a quarter of the cost to the club?

Need a YAC metric for AFL somehow...

Been better the last few weeks. Needs to continue that form against tougher opposition, although that’s never been his issue really. When he’s playing well, he’s playing well. When he’s shit, he’s shit regardless of the opposition.

The best assets Gus brings to the table is his ability to always bodyline the ball, put himself in the hole, stick tackles and win more than his share of one on one contests.

We don't need him getting the ball 25 times, but we need him popping up in those situations regularly. It's pretty hard to define his value through stats. If someone says what's a good game for Gus, I'd say I'll tell you when I see it. The Grand Final being the ultimate example but throughout the second half of that season he was showing all the signs of bobbing up and doing good things in the right moments without having big numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

27 touches today at 51% efficiency. That miss at the end just the cherry on top.

Fair dos Topkent, we've been sold a lemon here by his manager. Has a good year every three or four season and coasts.

27 touches today at 51% efficiency. That miss at the end just the cherry on top.

Fair dos Topkent, we've been sold a lemon here by his manager. Has a good year every three or four season and coasts.

27 years old and has had probably 2 good years and both of them were more like half years.

He's a player who excels when he plays like Hibberd, but wants to be Sam Mitchell instead. He's a tough, intercepting one on one type. Give him a tagging role maybe so he can base his game on someone else

The deal was universally criticized on here at the time last year and geez its a terrible contract.

No issue signing up Oliver, Trac on long term deals. They're generational talents.

Brayshaw is a B grader at best who is lazy and thinks he is a much better footballer than reality dictates.

The club got knocked back by Jackson and thought "wow, ive now got all this spare money burning a hole in my pocket, where can I spend it as fast as possible?"

The club got knocked back by Jackson and thought "wow, ive now got all this spare money burning a hole in my pocket, where can I spend it as fast as possible?"

A smart club would have held firm on not paying Gus overs and spread out our cap to have a crack at a FA in the upcoming years.

Go Away GIF

Remarkably poor this year. Must be traded with our backline so settled cos he plays like s**t anywhere but HBF.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
0 chance of being traded. No one's touching that contract it's gonna be a Grundy type problem with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back