Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I get what you mean but from a members POV I'll take the losses if there is hope.
It's called a rebuild
Yup. But what the media has been saying recently (and it's been discussed by other media than just Fox Footy), is that West Coasts results, i.e. win loss record and percentage is going to be worse next season.

My reply to the OP was about how the media has been framing the current West Coast discussion (Caro is the worst to listen to), but I didn't explain it.

Yup. But what the media has been saying recently (and it's been discussed by other media than just Fox Footy), is that West Coasts results, i.e. win loss record and percentage is going to be worse next season.

My reply to the OP was about how the media has been framing the current West Coast discussion (Caro is the worst to listen to), but I didn't explain it.

Gerard Whately and Tom Ralph?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very weak season. The teams from 5-11 all have massive flaws and even though we're approaching halfway point of the season, it's not clear which ones will actually make finals (as they are all a bit s**t). The bottom 3 are probably the weakest we've ever seen and should be playing WAFL/VFL.

The league feels a bit stuffed to me. The run and gun gameplan is too taxing and is leading to big injury issues at a bunch of clubs. Availability is key, get your team on the field and you can probably push for top 4 just off that. I think Pies have the flag sewn up (the same as Melbourne in 2021 and Geelong last year).

Indeed it is.

Feels like the competition is still coming to grips with the widespread impacts of the untested rule changes, particularly with concern to fatigue management and how to address that under the imposition of the soft cap.

Here's something interesting - compare the current ladder positions against distance travelled so far this year:

LaddervsTravel-1a.png

Much of the observed improvement from clubs this year strongly aligns with less travel.

In this light, Richmond's position in 14th looks far worse, whereas Melbourne and Brisbane are arguably performing well above the rest of the competition.

Placed into a plot, the strength of this correlation can be seen clearly:
LaddervsTravel-2.png

When the four largest outliers are removed, the positions of the remaining 14 clubs have linear correlation that is moderate to strong with the distance that has been travelled.

With rule changes and interpretations increasingly favouring high-intensity, fast-running styles of play, I expect that without intervention, this correlation will only become stronger in the future.

Fairer fixturing in terms of recognising travel fatigue need to be implemented and the soft cap requires urgent review, as the current implementation operates effectively as a liability that disadvantages clubs based outside of Victoria.

I know the decision has come from Dimma but Richmond seems truly understand where they’re at and not going to lie to themselves for the next 3 years like we did. Watch them rebuild quicker than West Coast

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah that first round pick this year should be pretty high. Will really jump start their rebuild.....

Hardwick is/was a very good coach. He had a great ability to explain the style of play he wanted in terms that all the players bought into. Everyone inside (and outside) the club knew what “Richmond footy” was.

Then again, we won the flag in 2018 with a style of play developed by Adam Simpson that was equally recognisable as “Eagles footy”.

No matter how good your Plan A, eventually you’ll need a Plan B. A rebuild is one thing, but will the game plan stand up at the end of it? Remains to be seen for Richmond and for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know the decision has come from Dimma but Richmond seems truly understand where they’re at and not going to lie to themselves for the next 3 years like we did. Watch them rebuild quicker than West Coast

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
How do they plan on doing that, after trading out of the next 2 drafts for Taranto/Hopper, because they didn't know where they were at?

When they truly hit rock-bottom, they'll be drafting during the Tassie compromised drafts.

How do they plan on doing that, after trading out of the next 2 drafts for Taranto/Hopper, because they didn't know where they were at?

When they truly hit rock-bottom, they'll be drafting during the Tassie compromised drafts.
They haven’t traded out of the next two drafts.

They traded out of last year’s draft and this year’s draft.

They still hold every one of their own picks in next year’s draft, the same as every other club does.

They do have quite a few older players with trade value, let’s wait and see who they trade to Gold Coast for what picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back