Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It kind of is. It’s well known that the biggest contracts players get is when approaching free agency. (So that would be around 26). Also, every players salary is capped in their first 2 years.
Mate seriously, he’s not worth 400k at our club. I could not care less what the trnd in regards to contracts is. He’s a dime a dozen plodder who happened to shine for half a season because our midfield was playing extremely well.

Now if he was drafted by us and hung around for years being a good clubman then yeah, maybe add a little appreciation bonus, but he wasn’t and like I said that’s his problem. Did he volunteer to refund half his salary for his first two years when he was a complete spud?

Acres didn't qualify for free agency because his service was split across 2 clubs. And yep Noddy is under contract so we can quite happily pay him the AFL contract rate.

But anyone who would offer Acres more than Noddy in a contract negotiation would be making a massive list management mistake.

It's not about age, it's about potential future value of the games they will play and the competition from other clubs for their services.

I would happily bet that Noddy will play better football than Acres over th length of the Acres's Carlton contract. And if (if) Noddy was on the open market at the same time as Acres there would be more clubs willing to buy him than Acres.

Noddy is worth far more salary cap investment than Acres.

Acres didn't qualify for free agency because his service was split across 2 clubs. And yep Noddy is under contract so we can quite happily pay him the AFL contract rate.

But anyone who would offer Acres more than Noddy in a contract negotiation would be making a massive list management mistake.

It's not about age, it's about potential future value of the games they will play and the competition from other clubs for their services.

I would happily bet that Noddy will play better football than Acres over th length of the Acres's Carlton contract. And if (if) Noddy was on the open market at the same time as Acres there would be more clubs willing to buy him than Acres.

Noddy is worth far more salary cap investment than Acres.
I believe that noddy is a better player than acres, and will have a better career. That was not what was being debated though.

What's happening at the Eagles is, of course, quite entertaining, mostly because it's a gift that keeps on giving. This week alone we've had a boss (who's a huge part of the problem) saying he might depart 1.5 seasons from now, along with suggestions that the club's biggest fanboy and renowned people manager, Justin Langer, would be part of an 'independent' review of the club.

What's happening at the Eagles is, of course, quite entertaining, mostly because it's a gift that keeps on giving. This week alone we've had a boss (who's a huge part of the problem) saying he might depart 1.5 seasons from now, along with suggestions that the club's biggest fanboy and renowned people manager, Justin Langer, would be part of an 'independent' review of the club.
JL?

Brilliant, that is a report I would love to read.

Executive summary

The biggest issue is that the whole club are soft *****.

Proposal:

A) punch all soft ***** in head.
B) ???
C) Profit

Look, let's look at this a different way. The metric that was used is that the top 16 players at any club are on 400k and above.
Do you believe Blake Acres was in the best 16 players at Freo in 2022?

This is exactly the kind of gambler's/hot hand fallacy list management philosophy that the mob up the road have employed, and look where it's got them.

More than happy to be spending the additional money on Darcy/Serong/Jackson/Young et al rather that tying it up with a bloke who (as we've seen) was more than likely to revert to the average form he displayed for most of his time with us.

WC's list is probably the worst I have seen - a combination of a lack of decent young talent and horrible long contracts to vets who were already breaking down. Worse than Melbourne and North in their dark days, at least they always had some decent kids coming through.

They are going to need to turn over a minimum of 10-15 players per year for the next few years just to clear the deadwood off their list. Inevitably, that also means a lot of draft busts given most of those 10-15 will be low-end draft picks/mid season draft picks etc.

They may attract a number of fringe players from other clubs such as Rhys Matheison who has been dominating in the VFL and can't crack a game in the Brisbane seniors, Jeremy Sharp and Callum Achee perhaps also.

On a side note - Ed Allen starting to do well in Collingwood's' VFL team. Hope he comes home in 1-2 years!

Yes there is a fair bit to this call.
"Oh 20 players injured means we can't compete" the Toast fans say.

I say in response though - look hard at that list of 20 players. How many of them are having their first injury? Their third injury? How many are in the 12th or higher injury absence of their career??

So many of these players were so predictably likely to be injured, with clear past histories of injury. Yet WC keep extending and extending them, and paying more and more for them. Crazy and arrogant. Would be like us still having Mora, Harley, Shilly and Lukey Mac on the list, just hoping they could all "get through a good off season and build into it".

Also how good is it that Jon Ralph is yet again poaching stories based off this thread and the coaches contract / soft cap chat?? Hiya Ralphy Ralph Malph, congrats on not being Tom Morris, maybe chuch the Freo board in the byline for the next article eyyyyy???

Season 2 Classics GIF by Paramount+

Yes there is a fair bit to this call.
"Oh 20 players injured means we can't compete" the Toast fans say.

I say in response though - look hard at that list of 20 players. How many of them are having their first injury? Their third injury? How many are in the 12th or higher injury absence of their career??

So many of these players were so predictably likely to be injured, with clear past histories of injury. Yet WC keep extending and extending them, and paying more and more for them. Crazy and arrogant. Would be like us still having Mora, Harley, Shilly and Lukey Mac on the list, just hoping they could all "get through a good off season and build into it".

Also how good is it that Jon Ralph is yet again poaching stories based off this thread and the coaches contract / soft cap chat?? Hiya Ralphy Ralph Malph, congrats on not being Tom Morris, maybe chuch the Freo board in the byline for the next article eyyyyy???

Season 2 Classics GIF by Paramount+
I think you mean Jon “best news breaker in the business” Ral……No couldn’t do it!😜

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was also on the board already. Hardly independent & the only tipster in the West Who tipped West Coast for the flag 😂😂😂

Sorry Gav, but if you think Acres would’ve made a difference in those first few rounds I think you’re mistaken.

Not only that, the type of footy we’ve been playing last few weeks is totally incompatible with Acres’ skillset.

If he’s a loss, he’d be a very minor loss, certainly not a big one
It's not especially about Acres. It is about losing structure in the off season and not replacing it or having a cohesive plan to deal with it. Unless you think Hughes is the solution and that Worner is the half back depth we need.

This made me laugh way more than it should have. Well played

View attachment 1695324

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Those Bell Tower guys are good
Just read the Schaudenfruede article about Byron
Flipping hilarious 🤣

This made me laugh way more than it should have. Well played

View attachment 1695324

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hey, these guys are funny. Laughed at this headline;
Breaking: Tony Galati to take over from Hardwick given his experience handling a bunch of spuds

That's mean not the median. Maybe 13 / 14 players max at a club would be on 400k plus.
The AFL releases a breakdown of players salaries each year and 288 players made over $400k last year. That works out to 16 per club. Another 109 player made between $300-400k. That works out to 22 players per club earned more than $300k last year. Acres is reportedly earning $350k at Carlton, and we reportedly offered him $180k per year plus incentives. 29 players per club earned more than $200k last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back