Discussion 2023 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ratts didn't rate him and left him out. Came on in the semi against Richmond and was named in our bests. We delisted him to get games into Paton. Right now he's starting to look like a downgrade and probably delisted too once his contract ends.

That was a great trade. McEvoy for a GOP Savage and Luke Dunstan. Then 24 and 59 for 18 which we blew on Acres. Turned our future captain and 2 first round picks into dust. Pelican was a great operator.
Not just Paton. At that point, all of Clark, Coffield, Paton and Long were seen as ahead of him in the pecking order plus Webster was still contracted.

Maybe Hindsight says he could have stayed but the injuries to the younger players we had ahead of him meant Sinclair was moved to half back that preseason so overall, delisting Savage didn’t really impact us.

Did we give much up for him? I honestly cant recall.

I think a list spot wouldnt matter much how many guys have we generally got on a list that wouldnt get a kick in local footy.

Future second round pick (23) Willem Drew who was injured for years but has turned into a very good player finally. We could have used that on Steele but had to trade a future 2nd for him.

Not just Paton. At that point, all of Clark, Coffield, Paton and Long were seen as ahead of him in the pecking order plus Webster was still contracted.

Maybe Hindsight says he could have stayed but the injuries to the younger players we had ahead of him meant Sinclair was moved to half back that preseason so overall, delisting Savage didn’t really impact us.

Well list management has been terrible for the last 20 years and I'm not sure it's an area of strength yet. I think it's held us back because we are giving away players and not replacing them with upgrades. Taking HBFs for years and ended up with not much out of it but Sinclair and Webster who were already there is a fail. I don't think Savage wa a terrible call by it's symbolic of poor talent management systems.

I don't think we have been good at identifying talent at the draft or working out which ones to put time, development and energy into. Geelong and Collingwood both sort through young talent and make calls quickly before too much investment has been put in.

Also sent Hill there to justify the trade so probably also contributed to him going out.

Ratts didn't rate him and left him out. Came on in the semi against Richmond and was named in our bests. We delisted him to get games into Paton. Right now he's starting to look like a downgrade and probably delisted too once his contract ends.

That was a great trade. McEvoy for a GOP Savage and Luke Dunstan. Then 24 and 59 for 18 which we blew on Acres. Turned our future captain and 2 first round picks into dust. Pelican was a great operator.
Are you talking about Ryder here? Cause thats who I was referring to.

37kcBjD.jpg

Well bummer no Saints this weekend, so was just having a look at who's playing who. Friday night, Dees v Blues, MCG, looking forward to hopefully more pain for the blues here, and I do expect it will come. Copped a few injuries last week too with everything else going on, can't imagine a world where the Dees lose this one. Will be an entertaining watch.

Early Saturday, Adelaide Oval, Port v Hawks. You watch, the poos and wees revert back to the bottom three team they are and get pantsed by the power. 🙄

Sat'dy arv, West Coast v Pies, in Perth. Pass.

Saturday night, game one, Dogs v Cats, Marvel. Probably the game of the round in my eyes. Still can't quite figure out who I think will win, but it's a pretty important one for both teams. Recent talk yet again asking if the cats are cooked, we've all heard that too many times before. Come the pointy end of the season I still kinda expect them to be amongst it, but losing games like this to teams around your mark will mean it'll be from the lower part of the eight, and not sure how much damage they'll be able to do from there. Think maybe the Dogs might get up here, reckon it'll be a pretty close one whichever way it goes.

Saturday night, game two, Gold Coast v Adelaide, TIO Stadium. C U in the NT. Might be another close one, reckon the Suns will go alright up there, maybe an upset on the cards. 🤔 A Crows loss would probably be good for us.

Early Sunday, GWS v Richmond, Giants Stadium. Both disappointingly out of the finals race already you'd think, in fact I get the feeling both of these teams may get stuck in that 10th to 15th nowhereland for a few years. Think the giants win this one, and can imagine it will be a somewhat niggly encounter.

Sunday twilight, last game of the weekend, Essendon v North Melbourne, Marvel Stadium. Would dearly love for Norf to beat the bombers, and I do actually think they're a sneaky chance. Come on boys, do it for Ratts.

So, maybe a couple of upsets on the cards, a few good games here and there hopefully anyway, and next week Thursday night footy is back for a while. Anyone with thoughts on a particular game this weekend that has piqued your interest?

He was 34, realistically he was done. He looked pretty cooked late last year and I think it was just time catching up with him. Probably got 2 more years than he would have if he'd played his career out at Port. It was weird list management seeing as we didn't seem to be in the premiership hunt and he was already old. Probably should have found someone younger and invested in that. That said I loved having him, just wish he'd been 5 to 10 years younger.

Paddy was, is, a truly skilful footballer, with a strong footy iq. He was tough, but he was almost elegant. That’s why it was such a breath of fresh air to watch him in the red white and black. We just don’t have enough players who cover all those bases.

Paddy was, is, a truly skilful footballer, with a strong footy iq. He was tough, but he was almost elegant. That’s why it was such a breath of fresh air to watch him in the red white and black. We just don’t have enough players who cover all those bases.
Max king is exciting in the way all big boy key forwards are but I think Paddy was player I most enjoyed watching. You’re right he had the most entertaining and competitive manner of playing the game. 100% effort in any contest, would throw his body around to defend his team mates, freakish goals like a small forward and of course the work of art that was his ruck craft. Also just how full of joy he was every time he played on the field.

The only player since he left that’s filled the void is Mitchito Owens. He may not be the greatest player in the team (yet) but something about him just hits the same. The competitiveness, the excitement and the talent of course. Heart and soul player.

Well bummer no Saints this weekend, so was just having a look at who's playing who. Friday night, Dees v Blues, MCG, looking forward to hopefully more pain for the blues here, and I do expect it will come. Copped a few injuries last week too with everything else going on, can't imagine a world where the Dees lose this one. Will be an entertaining watch.

Early Saturday, Adelaide Oval, Port v Hawks. You watch, the poos and wees revert back to the bottom three team they are and get pantsed by the power. 🙄

Sat'dy arv, West Coast v Pies, in Perth. Pass.

Saturday night, game one, Dogs v Cats, Marvel. Probably the game of the round in my eyes. Still can't quite figure out who I think will win, but it's a pretty important one for both teams. Recent talk yet again asking if the cats are cooked, we've all heard that too many times before. Come the pointy end of the season I still kinda expect them to be amongst it, but losing games like this to teams around your mark will mean it'll be from the lower part of the eight, and not sure how much damage they'll be able to do from there. Think maybe the Dogs might get up here, reckon it'll be a pretty close one whichever way it goes.

Saturday night, game two, Gold Coast v Adelaide, TIO Stadium. C U in the NT. Might be another close one, reckon the Suns will go alright up there, maybe an upset on the cards. 🤔 A Crows loss would probably be good for us.

Early Sunday, GWS v Richmond, Giants Stadium. Both disappointingly out of the finals race already you'd think, in fact I get the feeling both of these teams may get stuck in that 10th to 15th nowhereland for a few years. Think the giants win this one, and can imagine it will be a somewhat niggly encounter.

Sunday twilight, last game of the weekend, Essendon v North Melbourne, Marvel Stadium. Would dearly love for Norf to beat the bombers, and I do actually think they're a sneaky chance. Come on boys, do it for Ratts.

So, maybe a couple of upsets on the cards, a few good games here and there hopefully anyway, and next week Thursday night footy is back for a while. Anyone with thoughts on a particular game this weekend that has piqued your interest?

Once again the fixturing from the AFL sucks, no Thursday night game again and the two best games of the round clash on Saturday night, none of the other games look all that interesting although tonight's game will be interesting in terms of watching Carlton implode again like driving by a car crash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just having a look at the Blues preview/game day thread. Haha rather entertaining in parts. Here's a couple of quotes from the first few pages to give you an idea...

"Another Friday night game.
Another weekend ruined."

"If this game was being played in my backyard I'd close the blinds."

"I need suggestions for things to do when Carlton are playing. I’m probably old enough to join the local men’s shed but I’m scared they’ll have a telly on in the corner."

"So this is what eco feels like."

"Carlton have players who are stealing for a living."

"Voss is the kind of stubborn that would run out with 21 players before he names Dow."

"With regard to Dow I'm actually embarrassed at the way he's been treated by our club."

And on it goes... 😄

Was just having a look at the Blues preview/game day thread. Haha rather entertaining in parts. Here's a couple of quotes from the first few pages to give you an idea...

Another weekend ruined."

"I need suggestions for things to do when Carlton are playing. I’m probably old enough to join the local men’s shed but I’m scared they’ll have a telly on in the corner."

"Voss is the kind of stubborn that would run out with 21 players before he names Dow."

"With regard to Dow I'm actually embarrassed at the way he's been treated by our club."

And on it goes... 😄

That sounds like me for the last 10 years to be fair.

Absolutely loved Paddy's time at the Saints.

Early in the year they were talking him up, saying he was one of the best tap Ruckman in the league.

Doesn't take long to write someone off.

Paddy's level of craft is something we've seen very little of at St Kilda in the last decade.

Hope Carlton get absolutely spanked tonight.

Admittedly, I'd be fine with a draw so neither win and we retain the chance to leapfrog the Dee's.

Go go gadget multiple 2 week injuries for all and sundry to bleed into bye rounds.

Another weekend ruined."

And on it goes... 😄
Not laughing at them.
Laughed at them last week and then the karma bus hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back