Toast Round 15 = Collingwood 82-80 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Keays is a dighead who gives me Bailey Fritsch vibes.

I was (well I guess I now am) post on this morning, as it happened “right in front of me” - Fly strolled on the ground then wandered around picking up some 5 bits of litter like chip bags then gave them to a bewildered looking security guard who stared at the garbage collection Fly had just given him for half a minute then ruefully stuck it in his coat pocket.

Fly then proceeded over to the player wives and girlfriends section and patted a baby on the head.

No spin? What a crock. All spin. Now you pretend to know the mind of Nathan Buckley. I look forward to you posting the link to the audio grab or article where he’s ever said he didn’t rate Witts.
You are naive if you think Buckley would publicly deride any player. His actions in manhandling Witt are the only guide to his frustration.

Should have been having a shot after the siren too. Got lucky that the umps didn’t see that high contact with 11 seconds left. View attachment 1722201
Given the situation of the game it boggles the mind that Elliott is the one defending Dawson one out. Kissed on the proverbial there and it is amazing how the karma bus works after what happened last time up against them.

My two cents without having watched the replay of the 3rd yet is that we were the better team across the majority of the day. We did a lot right based on my understanding of how the last match between the two teams played out. Our possession numbers were off the chart in the first half 207 v 162 in the second half (70 in the 3rd) and the high possession count meant we avoided a lot of that long down the line stuff they picked off so well last time. The third then became a forward half contest for Adelaide which they turned into scores.

Four 30,000 feet observations:

1. Adelaide are good. Extremely good. Collingwood in 2022 good. They touched up Port, should have got us twice and handled Brisbane. They win either of the two against us their fifth and win both they’re equal with the Dees on points.

2. We’re the hunted. Everyone is bringing it against us (WC turned the clock back to 2018 ****ing ****s) and we’re handling it which is going to have us match hardened come finals. I don’t know the numbers, but I assume Adelaide’s pressure in the 1st, 3rd and 4th Q’s was off the chart. The number of times they got a hand in when we were out or broke a tackle when gone was phenomenal. That’s what happens in finals and we battled through it.

3. There’s a bit currently being made of how gettable we are which is true because I think we’re a “soft” 12-2 team (not soft in the sense of physicality more quality), but for me the primary worry is the runs we’re allowing when on the back foot. Against North in the last Q, WC across the 2nd and 3rd and yesterday 8 on the fly. If that third Q we give up 4 instead of 7 and kick one of our own it’s a very different contest. The reason it’s a worry is it looks to me like the result of what makes us so great. When we play with flow and it comes off we can blitz, but when it falters we get opened up.

4. IMO, this links with 3. The losses of JDG and Steele have a huge impact on our midfield. I think we’re built like Carlton whereby we rely heavily on our stars the key difference though between the two clubs is that the majority of our stars are ground level types whereas the Blues have a mix of tall and small. Their bottom 6 is also hopeless and ours probably league best. I posted a few weeks back that We were extremely vulnerable without JDG and Steele so far during that period we should be 0-2. I think GC get us this week because they’re amazing in “home” conditions and we’ve struggled in QLD recently.

There’s plenty to like (specifically the return of Howe, return to form of Maynard and Elliott, contest work of the Daicos’), a bit to dislike and plenty to work on, but we’re setting ourselves up which is the main thing for now. The real key on the run home is limiting the banana peel losses such as this week coming because Brisbane are ready to pinch a top 2 spot, IMO.

You are naive if you think Buckley would publicly deride any player. His actions in manhandling Witt are the only guide to his frustration.
You’re acting like a coach has never given a player who they rate a spray before. Utter nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No - I’m saying a Coach who is renowned for controlling his emotions, would have reached boiling point with frustration to man handle Witts.
He poked him with his finger and yelled at him. Stop with the “manhandling” hyperbole, it’s embarrassing. You’ve picked out one single incident and trying to use it as justification for calling Witts laconic and disinterested in his last year at the pies, which is just flat out not true. Stop trying to change history to suit your agenda.

Given the situation of the game it boggles the mind that Elliott is the one defending Dawson one out. Kissed on the proverbial there and it is amazing how the karma bus works after what happened last time up against them.

My two cents without having watched the replay of the 3rd yet is that we were the better team across the majority of the day. We did a lot right based on my understanding of how the last match between the two teams played out. Our possession numbers were off the chart in the first half 207 v 162 in the second half (70 in the 3rd) and the high possession count meant we avoided a lot of that long down the line stuff they picked off so well last time. The third then became a forward half contest for Adelaide which they turned into scores.

1. Adelaide are good. Extremely good. Collingwood in 2022 good. They touched up Port, should have got us twice and handled Brisbane. They win either of the two against us their fifth and win both they’re equal with the Dees on points.

2. We’re the hunted. Everyone is bringing it against us (WC turned the clock back to 2018 ******* *s) and we’re handling it which is going to have us match hardened come finals. I don’t know the numbers, but I assume Adelaide’s pressure in the 1st, 3rd and 4th Q’s was off the chart. The number of times they got a hand in when we were out or broke a tackle when gone was phenomenal. That’s what happens in finals and we battled through it.

3. There’s a bit currently being made of how gettable we are which is true because I think we’re a “soft” 12-2 team (not soft in the sense of physicality more quality), but for me the primary worry is the runs we’re allowing when on the back foot. Against North in the last Q, WC across the 2nd and 3rd and yesterday 8 on the fly. If that third Q we give up 4 instead of 7 and kick one of our own it’s a very different contest. The reason it’s a worry is it looks to me like the result of what makes us so great. When we play with flow and it comes off we can blitz, but when it falters we get opened up.

4. IMO, this links with 3. The losses of JDG and Steele have a huge impact on our midfield. I think we’re built like Carlton whereby we rely heavily on our stars the key difference though between the two clubs is that the majority of our stars are ground level types whereas the Blues have a mix of tall and small. Their bottom 6 is also hopeless and ours probably league best. I posted a few weeks back that We were extremely vulnerable without JDG and Steele so far during that period we should be 0-2. I think GC get us this week because they’re amazing in “home” conditions and we’ve struggled in QLD recently.

There’s plenty to like (specifically the return of Howe, return to form of Maynard and Elliott, contest work of the Daicos’), a bit to dislike and plenty to work on, but we’re setting ourselves up which is the main thing for now. The real key on the run home is limiting the banana peel losses such as this week coming because Brisbane are ready to pinch a top 2 spot, IMO.
Q3 probably pretty important to watch if one wishes to get a handle on which was the better team across the majority of the day.

He poked him with his finger and yelled at him. Stop with the “manhandling” hyperbole, it’s embarrassing. You’ve picked out one single incident and trying to use it as justification for calling Witts laconic and disinterested in his last year at the pies, which is just flat out not true. Stop trying to change history to suit your agenda.
Poked him with a finger? What about the grabbing of the jumper.
I suggest you Google it to refresh your memory.

I think I’ve made my point that a normally controlled Buckley, allowed his frustration with Witts to boli over.

The incessant bagging of Witts here at the time more than vindicates my thoughts on him

Bottom line Grundy’s multiple AA’s reinforced we made the right decision.

Time to move on - we’re not agreeing on this issue.

Last edited:
I think I’ve made my point that a normally controlled Buckley allowed his frustration with Witts to boli over.

The incessant bagging of Witts here at the time more than vindicates my thoughts on him

Bottom line Grundy’s multiple AA’s reinforced we made the right decision.

Time to move on - we’re not agreeing on this issue.
I’ve never argued that we didn’t make the right decision. That’s a straw man argument in the context of our discussion. All I did was call out your hyperbole.

I think we can get by without Steele, although we’re obviously better with him in the side, but De Goey provides something we can’t replace and can only barely cover for. The rest of our midfield is slow. When Taylor Adams is your fastest mid, because Mitchell and Pendlebury are your alternatives, you have problems. We need De Goey back and one of Adams/Mitchell rotating up forward rather than both getting CBAs together.

Nick gave us enough pace in midfield to squeak by yesterday, but the dropoff has been stark.

I think we can get by without Steele, although we’re obviously better with him in the side, but De Goey provides something we can’t replace and can only barely cover for. The rest of our midfield is slow. When Taylor Adams is your fastest mid, because Mitchell and Pendlebury are your alternatives, you have problems. We need De Goey back and one of Adams/Mitchell rotating up forward rather than both getting CBAs together.

Nick gave us enough pace in midfield to squeak by yesterday, but the dropoff has been stark.
I think for me this highlights Crisp’s drop off yesterday. Ordinarily he’s the one you’d bank on filling the breach in JDG’s absence with his dash around stoppage and whilst he stood up v Melbourne Dawson was too much for him.

I think you might be selling Steele short a touch as well. At various times yesterday we had WHE and Howe rolling up onto the wing. Both are capable, but the wing is the most technical role in footy these days and I don’t think they can cover what Steele provides. Plus it takes away from other lines more than say taking Adams from the forward third.

Might be against popular opinion here on the Pies board but I thought it was hilarious when Keays yanked Coxy's glasses off :D:cool:
They’re custom made, cost like $3k and are a tool of trade. Imagine if he broke them and it took weeks for Cox to get a replacement? Headbands yeah I get, but that was like ripping a bandage off a guy that’s had his head split open. Not cool and even nasty in a sniperish way doing it from behind…

2. We’re the hunted. Everyone is bringing it against us (WC turned the clock back to 2018 ******* *s) and we’re handling it which is going to have us match hardened come finals. I don’t know the numbers, but I assume Adelaide’s pressure in the 1st, 3rd and 4th Q’s was off the chart. The number of times they got a hand in when we were out or broke a tackle when gone was phenomenal. That’s what happens in finals and we battled through it.

2 - This is what will hold us in good stead as the weeks roll on into September. We're playing games at finals like intensity, whereas a lot of sides are playing matches that look more like Auskick than AFL standard.

4 - I heard Dimma Hardwick say recently that system keeps you in games, your stars win you games. You add 2 match winners in De Goey and Sidey back into the midfield and we are a completely different proposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 15 = Collingwood 82-80 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back