List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
I think that'd be pretty purple glasses, while I like what I've seen any other team would rightly point to limited evidence at AFL level.
I dont know, he's playing reasonably well with flashes as a very young KPF. If I could get a young 21 year old KPF from another club who was having a few shots on goal each game, a pick in the 20s seems fine to me.

Did you want Ash Johnson at the start of this year? What would you have paid then?

I dont know, he's playing reasonably well with flashes as a very young KPF. If I could get a young 21 year old KPF from another club who was having a few shots on goal each game, a pick in the 20s seems fine to me.

Did you want Ash Johnson at the start of this year? What would you have paid then?
I think a pick in the 20s is overvaluing him way too much. At the end of the day, he's not much of a goal kicker. He plays a role in our team and plays it very well, but you can't sell him to another team that way. I'd say something around 30-40 is more realistic for him.

A team poaching Treacy will be hoping they can build on his marking game so half those hands to the contest he gets turn into contested marks.

That will double his shots on goal, make moving the ball up the field a lot easier and four times his value.

Tabs took a while to start clunking them, I don't want to see the potential take the next step elsewhere.

I think a pick in the 20s is overvaluing him way too much. At the end of the day, he's not much of a goal kicker. He plays a role in our team and plays it very well, but you can't sell him to another team that way. I'd say something around 30-40 is more realistic for him.
I mean that's only like 10 picks different. I'm honestly not sure what his value would be (and a big game before the end of the season could have a massive impact) but I think his age and position is a massive determinant in what he'd both worth.

Why are we even entertaining the thought of trading JT? Non-issue.
Definitely wouldn't trade him but if he walks due to us not valuing him as much as other $$ then it does come into play

I reckon they may be haggling over security rather than money as it stands

JT after 3 and we offer 2?

The
No way in hell. Maybe a 3rd rounder.

Treacy's been handy but he's hardly set the world on fire. And as a rookie lister as well, which doesn't help his trade valuation.
The easiest comparison is Ash Johnson, if we lost Treacy in the off season, would you give for him? Keep in mind Johnson is a massive 5 years older in a position where it matters a lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The

The easiest comparison is Ash Johnson, if we lost Treacy in the off season, would you give for him? Keep in mind Johnson is a massive 5 years older in a position where it matters a lot
Ash Johnson has shown an ability to hit the scoreboard at AFL level.
I'd argue right now he'd actually be a better fit for our list than Treacy.

I'd be thinking Johnson would be around the late second.

Ash Johnson has shown an ability to hit the scoreboard at AFL level.
I'd argue right now he'd actually be a better fit for our list than Treacy.

I'd be thinking Johnson would be around the late second.
I'd agree he has but he's 5 years older which is massive development for a "key tall" and Treacy definitely provides more in other areas such as pressure and contest.

IMO Treacy would be worth at least as much as Johnson and probably more if I'm being perfectly honest

The

How about Weideman, pick 37 last year. He is older but is projecting as a bad KPF. JT surely in that ballpark, not that I want him to go anywhere.

How about Weideman, pick 37 last year. He is older but is projecting as a bad KPF. JT surely in that ballpark, not that I want him to go anywhere.
The age difference is massive though, I mean, the fact Weideman who is basically a bust at the point he was traded, went for pick 37 just adds to the idea that Treacy would go for a top 30 pick.

To justify my Johnson vs Treacy debate. Very similar stats where I would say the minor difference in scoring can be attributed to playing in a better side with more opportunities. Johnson is 5 years older, Treacy is worth more than whatever Johnson is worth

1688008288962.png

To justify my Johnson vs Treacy debate. Very similar stats where I would say the minor difference in scoring can be attributed to playing in a better side with more opportunities. Johnson is 5 years older, Treacy is worth more than whatever Johnson is worth

View attachment 1724650
I like what Treacy brings for us, but by my "eye test" Johnson is a more natural eye for goal.

I definitely would not choose to trade Treacy, very much hoping we lock him in soon, I just don't think we'd get much.
I think Weideman's value was more as a mature key position player. He kicked a bunch of goals while he was the focal, is just struggling to adapt to the role of third tall like he did at Melbourne.

I like what Treacy brings for us, but by my "eye test" Johnson is a more natural eye for goal.

I definitely would not choose to trade Treacy, very much hoping we lock him in soon, I just don't think we'd get much.
I think Weideman's value was more as a mature key position player. He kicked a bunch of goals while he was the focal, is just struggling to adapt to the role of third tall like he did at Melbourne.
Yeah I know, just think you're underselling him. 20 year old (still 20 for 2 months) who get regular games are highly valued even from showing a little bit, just getting a game is a massive indication of value at his age

I've brought this up before, but another comparison is Fogarty. Similar types of players with their frame and demeanour. Although maybe not too helpful for trade value as that can also be linked (even if wrongly) to where they were drafted

Treacy had been tracking extremely similarly (almost uncannily) to Fogarty up until a few weeks ago, and with a regular spot is now on track to be even better placed at the end of his first 3 years c.f. Fogarty. I wouldn't want to be letting such a player go cheaply.

Fogarty started to click in what will be Treacy's 2024, and only asserted himself properly in what will be Treacy's 2025. We have to think big picture. Our big forward trio aren't going to be a proper/consistent force until 2025/2026 and beyond.

I've brought this up before, but another comparison is Fogarty. Similar types of players with their frame and demeanour. Although maybe not too helpful for trade value as that can also be linked (even if wrongly) to where they were drafted

Treacy had been tracking extremely similarly (almost uncannily) to Fogarty up until a few weeks ago, and with a regular spot is now on track to be even better placed at the end of his first 3 years c.f. Fogarty. I wouldn't want to be letting such a player go cheaply.

Fogarty started to click in what will be Treacy's 2024, and only asserted himself properly in what will be Treacy's 2025. We have to think big picture. Our big forward trio aren't going to be a proper/consistent force until 2025/2026 and beyond.
I, too, think Treacy's closer to Fogarty than Johnson, which is actually pretty exciting. Fogarty is looking like a young Walker, perhaps slightly less mobile but more grown-up.

This is interesting…

SUNS ROOKIE ATTRACTS RIVAL INTEREST​

GOLD Coast forward Brodie McLaughlinonly landed a shot on a list in February, but now more AFL clubs are keeping a close eye on his contract status beyond 2023.

The 25-year-old earned a deal for this season after being signed by Gold Coast during the pre-season supplemental selection period, following a meteoric rise from the fifth tier of the Ammos to the VFL and then to the AFL.

Since then, McLaughlin has emerged as one of the best mobile key forwards not getting a game in the AFL this year.

zqK9LPth.jpeg

02:17
4 days

VFL Showreel, R14: Brodie McLaughlin highlights​

Enjoy Brodie McLaughlin's standout VFL performance for the Suns
With Levi Casboult commanding the third spot alongside Ben King and Jack Lukosius in Stuart Dew’s forward line, McLaughlin has booted 34 goals from 12 games to lead the Jim 'Frosty' Miller Medal by three goals after 14 rounds.

McLaughlin kicked 5.1 against Box Hill at Heritage Bank Stadium on Sunday, following 6.3 against Geelong in round two, 4.1 against North Melbourne in round five and four other sets of three in his first season at the Suns.

Fremantle and St Kilda were understood to be two clubs that monitored him during the pre-season before he was offered a spot at the Suns, while Hawthorn, Richmond and West Coast could be in the market for a mobile forward in October.

McLaughlin is settled in Queensland and believed to be keen to remain at the Suns, but it yet to secure a deal for 2024.

8kPbLyq8.jpg

Brodie McLaughlin in action at Gold Coast training on April 12, 2023. Picture: Getty Images
Gold Coast has a stack of quality forwards playing in the VFL right now, including last year's 'Frosty' Miller winner Chris Burgess, who signed a two-year deal in October and has kicked 28 goals this season but is yet to add to his 35-game AFL career this year.

With Casboult playing 11 of the first 14 games in the AFL, Mabior Chol has been restricted to just six appearances for the Suns, despite kicking 44 goals in a breakout 2022 campaign.

Sam Day has kicked 20 goals from nine matches in the VFL, while Alex Sexton also has 20 on the board from seven games around five appearances as the AFL sub. – Josh Gabelich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back