Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Wines is our biggest problem. He can only get more useless on a dry day and at the MCG.

He and Boak are a reminder of our piss blasting past. But at least Boak has the tank to run all day, and sometimes uses his experience to think through situations. Wines offers zero and the coaches won't dare drop him.
The game has gone past them both. There is no room for slow bulls anymore who fumble and can't execute basic skills under any conditions.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The game has gone past them both. There is no room for slow bulls anymore who fumble and can't execute basic skills under any conditions.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Boak is 35 in a few weeks, there is a reason that not many guys at his age are still playing. For that reason Wines is very frustrating, should be at his prime still and has been pushed out of the midfield by Rozee, Butters, JHF & Drew.

Dropped murphy with a short right hook

I suspect Willie might have done a bit of boxing the way he keeps dropping blokes. Not a huge amount of force but he gets them in the right spot. Will get 2 weeks I'd say, but they might throw the book at him because he already got suspended..
Haha, it was a left handed slap but carry on.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This one hurts as much as the 2020 prelim. Certainly haven't felt this away after a home and away game in many years.

Bad kicking = bad football. Should have had the game completely sealed up by three quarter time, although it probably is sewn up against any team except for Collingwood. The way they just say "**** it" and go completely HAM through the corridor at every opportunity is incredible. The speed and conviction with which they play at is extraordinary. Was impressed Port didn't go away in the last and it took some incredible set shots to win the game, but I'm still filthy they lost because when you're up 16 points at three quarter time in front of a full house at home - you should win regardless of the opponent.

Need to win 4 of the remaining 5 games to get 2nd spot. I don't think they can win the Flag from 3rd place or lower. If they lose the Showdown next week they'll be in a world of bother.

Easy to say that this was a great game and it truly was the game of the season to date. But when you consider that under Hinkley, that Port have been the bridesmaid in the 2014 game of the season (prelim), the 2017 game of the season (elimination final) and 2020 game of the year (prelim), you can't help but be cynical about tonight's result as just another close but not close enough game that encapsulates Hinkley's tenure at Port Adelaide. A few players were found out tonight under the pressure. A few others stepped up. I don't think they're that far away personally - like, I don't look at Port's current list and think they're inferior to Collingwood's, but I also think as long as Ken is there, the idea of being content with close enough or thereabouts will permeate through the team.

This is absolutely incredible.

Jeremy Finlaysonn:
ClubGBAccuracy
GWS
90​
45​
66.7%​
Port
54​
41​
56.8%

Charlie Dixon:
ClubGBAccuracy
GC
94​
41​
69.6%​
Port
237​
146​
61.9%

WHAT THE **** ARE WE DOING AT TRAINING?

This is absolutely incredible.

Jeremy Finlaysonn:
ClubGBAccuracy
GWS
90​
45​
66.7%​
Port
54​
41​
56.8%

Charlie Dixon:
ClubGBAccuracy
GC
94​
41​
69.6%​
Port
237​
146​
61.9%

WHAT THE * ARE WE DOING AT TRAINING?

This
Screenshot_20230722_223711_Chrome.jpg

How's Farrell worrying about helping the Collingwood player that went over the fence. In the heat of battle you dont worry about helping opposition players like that. He's got no mongrel in him. You need that to win a flag. He's so weak. Harsh I know but this is AFL not park football. His weakness cost us the game.

More disappointed the longer I think about it.

This sort of result just typifies the Hinkley era:
  • Lost a home night game
  • Had significantly more inside 50's
  • Choked on key set shots.
  • Suffered a brave loss

There's just so much about it that is typical of what we've always seen. We've lost 2 prelims by a kick, 2 SANFL GFs by a kick, we just don't win these big games. I can't remember the last time we won a real true statement game.

I hate that I'm so broken with this team. I struggled to get into it in the last quarter, the peak part of the game, because I just didn't believe we were going to win. Always just felt we'd find a way to lose.

We've got some serious fitness concerns with Lycett and Dixon. We're under significant pressure to finish 2nd now.

I just don't believe anything is coming from this season, and can't see myself investing real emotion into this team. If I do I feel I'll just be burnt and I personally can't handle it again.
Yep, real chance tonight to make a big statement but you just know it’s not going to end well. Keep missing chances when we have momentum.
We could have set up the season but now we will struggle to hold on to top 2, without that we are buggered.

The mids were not awesome. Adams, Pendelbury, Daicos dominated the last quarter, in particularly the first 5-10 minutes of the quarter where all of our good work from Q3 was undone. As always, our high end players don't deliver when it really matters.
Also when Lycett went off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are a s**t team under Hinkley then loosing to the ladder leaders by 2 points isn't that bad. I think we are a good team that lost by 2 points and were beaten because we kicked bad, made some.key errors and needed more out of guys like Wines and Marshall.
How the * can you allow a team to kick 6 goals in the last quarter with the game on the line when they have kicked 7 goals the previous three quarters INEXCUSABLE
There kicking for goal was extraordinary all night.
I can only think of one set shot that they missed all night.

How's Farrell worrying about helping the Collingwood player that went over the fence. In the heat of battle you dont worry about helping opposition players like that. He's got no mongrel in him. You need that to win a flag. He's so weak. Harsh I know but this is AFL not park football. His weakness cost us the game.
Fairly certain I saw Elliot help Bergman up on the boundary. Guess he doesn't have any mongrel in him either?

He basically gifted collingwood about 30% of their score. Hes making inroads but he needs to learn when to leave his man and when to just camp on them. So many got out the back because he tried to hero ball some dumb spoil.
When he has a bad one he really has a bad one and tonight he made some howlers.

I don't really understand Duursma. He's like the most streaky footballer I've ever seen. Either will deliver incredible run and forward entries or he does something completely unskilled like being unable to bounce the ball on the wing in open space in the first quarter.

There is no middle ground with him.
He's coming off a long break - was really hitting form before that.

Bouncing the ball in the wet is always a risk - my issue was that they were unnecessary given how far he'd ran.

He offers a lot to us when he's up and going.

Collingwood player helped a Port player up from sliding into the fence in the first quarter I reckon.. not a big deal

This one hurts as much as the 2020 prelim. Certainly haven't felt this away after a home and away game in many years.

Bad kicking = bad football. Should have had the game completely sealed up by three quarter time, although it probably is sewn up against any team except for Collingwood. The way they just say "* it" and go completely HAM through the corridor at every opportunity is incredible. The speed and conviction with which they play at is extraordinary. Was impressed Port didn't go away in the last and it took some incredible set shots to win the game, but I'm still filthy they lost because when you're up 16 points at three quarter time in front of a full house at home - you should win regardless of the opponent.

Need to win 4 of the remaining 5 games to get 2nd spot. I don't think they can win the Flag from 3rd place or lower. If they lose the Showdown next week they'll be in a world of bother.

Easy to say that this was a great game and it truly was the game of the season to date. But when you consider that under Hinkley, that Port have been the bridesmaid in the 2014 game of the season (prelim), the 2017 game of the season (elimination final) and 2020 game of the year (prelim), you can't help but be cynical about tonight's result as just another close but not close enough game that encapsulates Hinkley's tenure at Port Adelaide. A few players were found out tonight under the pressure. A few others stepped up. I don't think they're that far away personally - like, I don't look at Port's current list and think they're inferior to Collingwood's, but I also think as long as Ken is there, the idea of being content with close enough or thereabouts will permeate through the team.
Well said, a win tonight would have instilled real belief in players and supporters, year after year we are let down in big games. Some players were really exposed tonight under pressure until you get rid of them you won’t improve.

Well we should have won that game but what was really important is that we showed we can match Collingwood with 7 players under an injury cloud. Hell of an effort imo. Can we get the team fit for the finals? Can we find replacements for McEntee & Evans as they aren't good enuf to play in a GF? DBJ to come back in is an upgrade. Rioli was great, classy as usual but more motivated 2nite. Plenty of players down on form but we still managed to match them. There's hope yet but we need to finish top 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back