Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The ball movement in the build up, the way we defend, the clearance work, the forward entries. It just doesn't look like a well drilled side at all. It's incoherent rubbish. What the hell do they do at training?
Yeah. The Giants were so well drilled and I guess you could say their midfield played as a unit while ours was very discombobulated and much less than the sum of its parts.

We paid the price for the hubris of having no depth in two critical areas, ruck and key position defence.

And the footy gods will make you pay for that hubris. We had nothing to go back to in ruck and I'm not blaming Hayes for that. He was totally underutlised in ruck in sanfl this year, he has limited body strength despite being on the list for years and playing in the most physically demanding position on the ground. Teakle is not up to it and Visentini was too young and was injured too.

Blind Freddie could see we had no KPD depth. Yes we were unlucky to lose Clurey, then Jonas and McKenzie in the back end of the year but they are always punching above their division anyway. But you know what they say about playing with fire. Heaven help us if Aliir went down.

And for the second week in a row we looked like boys against men. How can we be playing teams that base their game on run and carry which then physically dominate a side that allegedly builds its game around F50 pressure and precision kicking to position?

What will we do about it? I guess get in a couple of players to lend some support to the areas of deficiency although the expected losses in ruck will be a problem and Sweet is an unknown quantity anyway.

Will we refocus our fitness program to add size and strength? Probably not. Will we change a gameplan that burned out our players by the mid-season break? Who knows, the Tinkerman tinkers with the game plan every year. Will we stop recruiting 175cm 70kg players and hoping they can match with similar skilled and paced players who are 10cm taller and 15kg heavier? Seen no evidence of that in 12 years.

You get what you deserve indeed.

Hard to watch.

Houston has to be our next Captain. Butters and Rozee showed their youth and immaturity tonight.

While we need a change of coach, a big bodied defender, a fit ruckman and numerous other things I think our biggest concern is the way our team went into these finals with zero cohesiveness. The last couple of weeks has been all about who gets traded, contract discussions, who goes out of the club because of who's coming in etc meanwhile Brisbane, GWS and the Wobbles look like a well oiled machine. Toby Green said this week that while it might not be the best team he's played for it's the team he trusts the most. I'd like to know how much Butters trusts Farrell, or how much Findlayson trusts McCentee we've seen them both expose the cracks in recent games.

There's been a lot of on field finger pointing, players dropping their heads and players generally losing their s**t when they haven't felt the ball landed in their lap. We look immature and we look like we're lacking in on ground leadership.

Houston fronted up after the game, he stays cool under pressure and he's now got the games experience and AA place. He speaks well. Give the younger boys time to grow up.

I said I'd wait until the finals to make a call on Kenny. He won't do it but he HAS to resign, the club has to push for his resignation we all know even if we win 23 games in a row next year we'll all feel the same way we did tonight come finals time in 24.

Carr can't be the replacement, our midfield performances these past two weeks have been really concerning.
Expat I’ve been waiting for you to become one of us it seems 2 finals wins in 9 years is your threshold…

IMG_0827.jpeg

We were so lazy in the first half.
Tackling efforts disgraceful. Rozee was very disappointing.
Made one effort then stopped, GWS players kept running. They out ran us.
Another typical Ken’s finals game.

We now are officially a victim complex squad where the honourable defeat and consequences for it are an addiction.

Some questions I'd ask Ken, if given the opportunity, and the chance to follow up when he weasels out of actually answering.

So Ken, you've had four chances in finals that mattered in the last nine years. How many more learning opportunities will you need before you actually win one?

Ken, can you enlighten us as to the benefits McEntee and Byrne-Jones bring to the team? And please be specific. What are their roles and by what metrics are they judged internally?

Ken, can you explain how 3 All Australians and a Brownlow Medallist can allow 13 goals from stoppage against Brisbane, and then be 26-9 down in clearances at half time against GWS in the two most important games of the year? And again, please be specific. Why has the most dynamic midfield in the middle of year capitulated when it counts?

Looking at GWS, their elite, hardened, experienced talent are in the 28-33 age group. You could say the same about Brisbane’s team.
Players in that age group for us just aren’t up to it. They have deficiencies that the GWS/Brisbane players don’t have.
That’s why I’m going to give a pass to our elite midfield trio this year. The GWS/ Bris players that are in that age group have had years of not getting it done but now seem to be at an age where there’s a steely resolve about them. They are grown up footballers surrounded by young talent. We have not so grown up footballers surrounded by questionable talent. We’re going to have to be patient for a couple of years.
Successful Port teams always had great, talented and hardened footballers in that age group and a few talented youngsters to keep them fresh with youthful energy.

Having said all this, I want Hinkley, Koch, Davies nowhere near them when their time comes.

Hard to watch.

Houston has to be our next Captain. Butters and Rozee showed their youth and immaturity tonight.

While we need a change of coach, a big bodied defender, a fit ruckman and numerous other things I think our biggest concern is the way our team went into these finals with zero cohesiveness. The last couple of weeks has been all about who gets traded, contract discussions, who goes out of the club because of who's coming in etc meanwhile Brisbane, GWS and the Wobbles look like a well oiled machine. Toby Green said this week that while it might not be the best team he's played for it's the team he trusts the most. I'd like to know how much Butters trusts Farrell, or how much Findlayson trusts McCentee we've seen them both expose the cracks in recent games.

There's been a lot of on field finger pointing, players dropping their heads and players generally losing their s**t when they haven't felt the ball landed in their lap. We look immature and we look like we're lacking in on ground leadership.

Houston fronted up after the game, he stays cool under pressure and he's now got the games experience and AA place. He speaks well. Give the younger boys time to grow up.

I said I'd wait until the finals to make a call on Kenny. He won't do it but he HAS to resign, the club has to push for his resignation we all know even if we win 23 games in a row next year we'll all feel the same way we did tonight come finals time in 24.

Carr can't be the replacement, our midfield performances these past two weeks have been really concerning.
Glad you're on board. I think some apologies are in order first though.

Hard to watch.

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Woke up just as numb as I was last night. Result didn't hurt, I didn't really care. It was all so predictable and groundhog Day. Not sure I uncrossed my arms for the whole game.

If you told me in preseason we'd finish 5th, not winning a final, it wouldn't have surprised. We're stuck in a mid table rut and I have no belief that we're turning that around anytime soon. There's no high picks coming in and our list is all over the shop. Wouldn't be surprised if next year is another of those Ken fall off a cliff years.

Time to really deinvest myself until Hinkleys inevitably gone I reckon.

I recorded the game last night, because it was my GFs birthday and we were going out for dinner.

Avoided the scores, got home, watched the game. Recording cut out just after GWS kicked their fourth goal from centre bounce in like 3 minutes, jumped to the post match.

I saw we lost, kicking 1.9 in the last. Then I watched sumo highlights and A Few Good Men instead.

Man I love that movie. So goddam Hollywood.

Hard to watch.

^when you start to realise that maybe it wasn't negativity all along but mostly reality.

What the hell was Burton doing all year? What was that play in the last qtr near the boundary?

I don't get why we want to move Bergman up the field, he should be our no.1 mid/small defender. Ditch Burton and hope Jones improves.
I have no energy for singling out players generally, but Burton ****ing sucks

Looking at GWS, their elite, hardened, experienced talent are in the 28-33 age group. You could say the same about Brisbane’s team.
Players in that age group for us just aren’t up to it. They have deficiencies that the GWS/Brisbane players don’t have.
That’s why I’m going to give a pass to our elite midfield trio this year. The GWS/ Bris players that are in that age group have had years of not getting it done but now seem to be at an age where there’s a steely resolve about them. They are grown up footballers surrounded by young talent. We have not so grown up footballers surrounded by questionable talent. We’re going to have to be patient for a couple of years.
Successful Port teams always had great, talented and hardened footballers in that age group and a few talented youngsters to keep them fresh with youthful energy.

Having said all this, I want Hinkley, Koch, Davies nowhere near them when their time comes.
That's all that needs to be said starting today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night and against the Lions have really highlighted key weaknesses in the list, that you dont see fully exposed during home and away. Apart from that needing to be addressed, there are game style problems , particulary in how we defend, yes there is a personnel issues but how we set up dfensively has been poor all year.

Honestly looked like a parkland footballer against a highly rated elite AFL footballer.

He had 12 disposals for 44m gained. 2 kicks in those 12 disposals, one went at right angles out on the full, the other a floater that set up Finlayson who was on his own in the pocket, spoiled out of bounds.

The question of injuries is bigger than just for this game.

There has to be a level of management and intelligence to playing injured players or not. If an older guy needs a rest, you play a young guy. The old guy gets a rest and you see what is going on with the young player. He might really shine or it might be obvious, he is not up to it.

You can't play super injured players. We have seen it recently and throughout the year, it destroys the confidence of the team during the game. The young players know they have little chance of breaking into the lineup. It also destroys the confidence of the players as it is poor decision making from the coaches. If you look at McKenzie on Hogan, Hogan is way too athletic for McKenzie to begin with but with an injury, he is lost and that's what happened. And it was no surprise that he reinjured himself considering last week's injury and mouth guard throw.

If you take a look at Lycett's year, he played the first 5 games and got progressively worse and injured. Teakle got humiliated in 4 games. Lycett comes back and plays OK in 5 games to the break. He plays his only real win against Geelong. I was like that is his best game and he will get some rest.

He struggles out of the break to be match fit and plays the 3rd game after the break. That was a big red flag. A decent game against Carlton and then smashed by Cameron and Collingwood.

He doesn't play the last 5 rounds in the AFL but is chosen over Hayes and basically breaks down in both finals. He played OK against McInerney and struggled against Briggs.

It is just super ugly all round and endemic of poor coaching and decision making mired in a boys club type atmosphere.

I hope that answers your question.
Yes an excellent reply, could not quibble with any of the points

I drove 3 hours to and 3 hours home to watch that *ing s**t.

* I hate this club

Done.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It was only the second game I went to this year and only did it as my brother pushed me to go with him.

What made it even worse was we had a group of dickhead Crows fans sit in front of us talking shit and some Swans **** heads behind us with the sarcastic 'Go Giant' and fake clapping. Who the **** goes to games their team is not involved in?

Worst game I've been too.

"People can say we had some injured players, or some blokes who were less than perfect – I can guarantee you that if some of the replacements were put out there, it would have been a much, much worse result."
- Ken Hinkley

Imagine being someone like a Francis Evans, Sam Hayes, Jackson Mead etc and hearing your coach telling the media if you had have played the team would have been smashed even harder than we were.
No matter if its true or not, that is a pathetic outlook and response from the so called leader of the club.

The same coach who said this to bookend the 2021 Prelim.

15365160-FEFF-4704-A189-C9EA86344C76.jpeg

And there are still elements of our fanbase who malignantly defend this guy from even the most measured evidence-based criticism.

Ollie’s finals series, after good form in the previous three weeks, needs its own thread. Has this guy played one good final since the semi final in 2014?
No he hasn’t..

He can’t handle the pressure.

Suspect skills go to absolutel shit in the finals.. watching him last night he’s a genuine plodder..

A lot has been made of the second quarter onslaught but can we just talk about the first quarter and early part of the second quarter for a second.

Despite not playing that well, we were actually leading the game out. But every time we kicked a goal they would respond with a goal from a centre clearance within seconds. This ended up being a portent to what was about to unfold but it was in and of itself weak and pathetic.

Just zero competitiveness or killer instinct or drive to be the best in this club. It stinks.

Fun fact from last night’s Semi Final​

Port Adelaide kicking to the left of screen: 7.2 (44)
Port Adelaide kicking to the right of screen: 2.14 (26)

**** me, that is diabolical.

Last night and against the Lions have really highlighted key weaknesses in the list, that you dont see fully exposed during home and away. Apart from that needing to be addressed, there are game style problems , particulary in how we defend, yes there is a personnel issues but how we set up dfensively has been poor all year.
Yet Bassett stays on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back