Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocking that that was allowed as a goal. The umpires are sorely in need of a visit to Specsavers this season.

Even the AFL boss the big Dill wouldn’t tick it off, refused to say it was wrong but also wouldn’t say it was the right call. Instead went off on a tangent about quality umpires.

I know it was adjudicated as a goal...but we can all see it was out of bounds. The AFL admits to umpiring errors after the game, but the results remain the same. It's bad enough it was allowed on the night, no need to further reward a blatant mistake by nominating it for GOTY. Wonder if the AFL would nominate a goal which was given as a result of an incorrect score review decision??
It’s Higgins. Now I’m sure they’ll award him GOTY. Just like Joey Daniher with MOTY standing flat on the ground and marking 😳

Peter Wright 4 games suspension... checks calendar back just in time for ANZAC Day

I would love to be told its purely confirmation bias from my end but seriously over the years, how many long-term injuries and suspensions have ceased right when good players are to come up against Collingwood?

Here's one she should get her teeth into:
Pretty stunning story just appeared in the Herald Sun.

Opening extract below:
A Melbourne Football Club doctor has sensationally admitted to conducting “off the books” illicit drug tests – allegedly authorised by the AFL – to help players evade detection on match days.
The doctor-turned-whistleblower says players who confessed to having taken drugs in the days before AFL games were given secret tests to ensure their systems were clear or were advised to “fake an injury” so they would not risk being tested and suspended for breaches of the World Anti-Doping Agency code.
Federal MP Andrew Wilkie told parliament on Tuesday night he had received a signed statement from former Demons head doctor Zeeshan Arain in which he accuses the AFL of facilitating the clandestine drug tests at Dorevitch Pathology in Heidelberg.

Mr Wilkie called on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to intervene in the scandal.

In a stunning address, Mr Wilkie said: “I rise to bring the house’s attention deeply troubling allegations of egregious misconduct within the AFL provided by former Melbourne football club president Glen Bartlett, former Melbourne football club doctor Zeeshan Arain and Shaun Smith, father of Melbourne player and now alleged drug trafficker Joel Smith.

Exactly what I thought when I saw that article...maybe if she spent less time sniping & being petty, she would have been all over that story ..

Geez, that is a story. Over to Caro now… hopefully her Pies fixation is over. For now.

Just reading about Andrew Wilkie’s bombshell in Parliament this evening.

Wow😳

Think it’s safe to say that we’re old news now. I think we’ll have a clear run in the media over the next few days, and Caro’s sniping will pale into insignificance.

Reaching for the popcorn…

Sounds like Melbourne are going to be talking about themselves quite a bit in the media in the near future. I trust Caro will be ready to lambast them for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clare Pettyfor's going to busy in the new role Perty created for her.

giphy.gif

Geez, that is a story. Over to Caro now… hopefully her Pies fixation is over. For now.
Perhaps I'm a bit too laissez faire about drugs, but I don't see the story as a big deal. To me, it's just like doing a breatho to see if you're over the limit and will lose your licence if you get tested when driving home.

Perhaps I'm a bit too laissez faire about drugs, but I don't see the story as a big deal. To me, it's just like doing a breatho to see if you're over the limit and will lose your licence if you get tested when driving home.
spot on, Wilkie got sucked in because he doesn’t understand the wada and afl illicit drug policies.

This doesn’t conflict with the wada code and is consistent with afl self reporting under their code.

The bigger story in his speech imo is the afl covering up goodwin drug problems, there you can say there’s a duty of care to the players.

spot on, Wilkie got sucked in because he doesn’t understand the wada and afl illicit drug policies.

This doesn’t conflict with the wada code and is consistent with afl self reporting under their code.

The bigger story in his speech imo is the afl covering up goodwin drug problems, there you can say there’s a duty of care to the players.
Yeah, he's coming from a zero tolerance of recreational drugs perspective and views the AFL and clubs job of policing player drug use. Whereas the sports bodies aren't coming from that perspective. They're actually more enlightened than Wilkie on the issue and are treating it the way the modern world treats underage sex - you might not want it to occur, but you know that there will be underage sex so you educate, encourage openness and try to help young people avoid the unwanted consequences that can ensue from it. Those who actually deal with it have moved away from zero tolerance and heavy policing, because it doesn't work.

I haven't read about the Goodwin cover up yet - that sounds spicy.

Last edited:
Yeah, he's coming from a zero tolerance of recreational drugs perspective and views the AFL and clubs job of policing player drug use. Whereas the sports bodies aren't coming from that perspective. They're actually more enlightened than Wilkie on the issue and are treating it the way the modern world treats underage sex - you might not want it to occur, but you know that there will be underage sex so you educate, encourage openness and try to help young people avoid the unwanted consequences that can ensue from it. Those who actually deal with it have moved away from zero tolerance and heavy policing, because it doesn't work.

I haven't read about the Goodwin cover up yet - that sounds spicy.
I think the afl approach is more about keeping things out of the papers and there’s a discussion to be had whether it’s the best way or not. I think Wilkie doesn’t understand that illicit substances are only banned match day going by his comments, he somehow thinks this breaches the afl contract with the government which it doesn’t.

The Goodwin comments were only a couple of lines where he says he’s been provided with extensive notes of a conversation with gill and the mfc former ceo.

Seems like Smith Snr & Glen Bartlett are going to expose the Dee's culture any way they can. 🙊
when I was 15 and got up to mischief, mum would always claim I was led astray by bad influences, she couldn’t see wrong in me, eventually that wore thin as a got old enough to know better. Smith seems to be taking the same approach with his son, only his son is a grown man.

I think the afl approach is more about keeping things out of the papers and there’s a discussion to be had whether it’s the best way or not. I think Wilkie doesn’t understand that illicit substances are only banned match day going by his comments, he somehow thinks this breaches the afl contract with the government which it doesn’t.

The Goodwin comments were only a couple of lines where he says he’s been provided with extensive notes of a conversation with gill and the mfc former ceo.
I'm less cynical on the AFL about this. But they are the AFL who try to control media stories. They've followed all the advice and are doing the right things in their policies and practices. But they're the AFL, if there's a negative story, they try to kill it or appease the press. So if a bloke gets caught on camera, they ignore the policy and try to sstop the press criticising them by giving the bloke a whack and wheeling him out to give a public apology. And I'd assume they do other things to kill a heap of stories that we never see.

when I was 15 and got up to mischief, mum would always claim I was led astray by bad influences, she couldn’t see wrong in me, eventually that wore thin as a got old enough to know better. Smith seems to be taking the same approach with his son, only his son is a grown man.
I always thought this 'anonymous source' was Daddy Smith..

Peter Wright 4 games suspension... checks calendar back just in time for ANZAC Day

I would love to be told it’s purely confirmation bias from my end but seriously over the years, how many long-term injuries and suspensions have ceased right when good players are to come up against Collingwood?
Don’t speak too soon, we might get to the week of the game and the Almost Fair & non-Level (AFL) muppets decide to give him a week off for good behaviour 🥹 or compensate on the day of the game by meating out 15 v 36 frees

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back