List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a 6'5 white guy who is the best Bball Talent in Adelaide.

He ain't sniffing Europe let alone the NBA. Better off milking the extra years of grace as a "developing" ruck man.
6"8

He actually looks a decent basketball player.

Handles the ball well, good shooting range including 3 point, good acceleration going down hill and decent spin moves. Looks fairly athletic and coordinated for sure.

His ball handling ability, speed and coordination lends me to think whatever basketball team picks him up may play him as a big guard to cause mismatches. Just haven't seen enough of his passes.

He may well make it as a basketball player.

Not sure if already mentioned, but they said on gettable that clubs are circling Strachan. And Cal reckons we will go hard at Sam Draper next year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was announced that Strachan has been appointed our Ruck Coach for the upcoming AFLW season. Can't see him leaving.

He's 28.

I don't think he'd even vaguely consider Adelaide - but if a club wanted someone like Rowan Marshall, I don't see why St Kilda would expect less than two firsts.
Gibbs was 28, too

Would be fair of St K to ask for that, but paying two firsts for most players above the age of 25/26 is silly

I don't care at all about Marshall. I'm just trying to be realistic. He's probably top three in his position, and he's 28.

What do you think Rowan Marshall would be traded for?

You can keep saying he’s top three until the cows come home, but there’s nothing realistic about that overestimation

Whiffs of fantasy stat influence

He turns 29 in November

Maybe they’d get a single pick in the low 20’s

If we didn't trade up for Curtin, we likely would've ended up with Wilson and Goad, rather than Curtin and Edwards. Norf traded up 2 spots on the night to get ahead of us for Goad.

A defender and reaching on a mid who didn't make his state side doesn't look great now, especially considering Wilson's year (and his speed and disposal skills being exactly what we're missing in our midfield) plus our lack of any feasible ruckman now or in the future but willing to hold fire to see how all those lads end up.

Goad is a LONG way off being an AFL ruckman, he is a long way off being a VFL ruckman. He has amazing attributes but is severely lacking in the footy smarts department. If you were after someone to have an impact any time soon he wouldn't have been a good target.

Goad is a LONG way off being an AFL ruckman, he is a long way off being a VFL ruckman. He has amazing attributes but is severely lacking in the footy smarts department. If you were after someone to have an impact any time soon he wouldn't have been a good target.
It was the draft, so no, not looking for him to have an impact soon, especially as he's a ruck. But given we have only 2 on the list and they're both 28 and garbage, might have been nice to have someone developing.

Getting Marshall does not make any sense.

We would have to give up assets to get him away from the Saints. In 2023 he was one of the top 70 highest paid players in the AFL and he wouldn't come to Adelaide for less money.

Giving up Assets and a large chunk of our cap by making him one of our top 3 paid players at the club for the least important position on the field is just dumb list strategy.

Ride out ROB's 2025. Trade in the best opportunity starved ruckman we can from another team for a late 2nd/3rd rounder and then spend a rookie pick for a development ruckman

Getting Marshall does not make any sense.

We would have to give up assets to get him away from the Saints. In 2023 he was one of the top 70 highest paid players in the AFL and he wouldn't come to Adelaide for less money.

Giving up Assets and a large chunk of our cap by making him one of our top 3 paid players at the club for the least important position on the field is just dumb list strategy.

Ride out ROB's 2025. Trade in the best opportunity starved ruckman we can from another team for a late 2nd/3rd rounder and then spend a rookie pick for a development ruckman
According to the Saints reddit page, he's 3 x 1st round picks. So I guess that settles it.

"On form he's probably in the top 2-3 rucks in the league. Absolute MINIMUM given that and his contract status would be two top 10 picks, and personally I wouldn't even give it a second thought unless there were three first round picks on the table".

But absurdist humor aside, he's one of the better rucks at actually being a footballer. That's when ruck isn't the least important position on the field (beyond hit outs). It's when you have a ruck with the skills of an 8 year old and can only tap the ball randomly towards the ground that it becomes pointless. In the real world he's a late 1st rounder. When he's contracted for another 3 years and half the comp needs a good ruck, Saints can ask for whatever they want. More than likely he's got a case of the Gresham's and doesn't want to be at a shit club playing largely meaningless games in front of paltry crowds - angling for a move to a big Melbourne club.

FFS Marshall is gettable because saints are prepared to move his contract on.

Just like we’re prepared to listen to offers for Laird if anyone is stupid enough to want that contract

Contract exceeds production, so it is a liability

Any doofus who thinks we are getting multiple firsts for laird, can apply the same logic to any over paid getting old player in the league - including Rowan freaking Marshall

Just like we’re prepared to listen to offers for Laird if anyone is stupid enough to want that contract

Any doofus who thinks we are getting multiple firsts for laird, can apply the same logic to any over paid getting old player in the league - including Rowan freaking Marshall
I wouldn't give a stale bag of chips for Laird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bit hypocritical of you, what do you think it would have taken for Melbourne to release Petty then last year?
Marshall is one of the best in the league at his position and in St Kilda top three players.

Petty is neither of those.

They have nothing in common, and it would be tough to find a less relevant comparison.

Again - this is just your personal opinion on Rowan Marshall.

Find me genuine football commentary that he ISN'T one of the best in the league at his position, or that St Kilda are in any way unhappy with the performance of one of their best players.

Find me any source that suggests St Kilda are prepared to move his contract on - any source at all.

I mean, I'm happy to change my view if you have anything to support your perspective?

To be honest, Gibbs value is probably about Marshall's value. A pick in the top 12 and a pick around 18-22, and Marshall and a pick around 25-30 goes back.
Yes but...that wasn't actually Gibbs' value. Nor is it Marshall's. Goes back to that classic, the value of something is what someone is prepared to pay for it. Marshall's value to Freo is a 4th round pick. His value to Geelong would be closer to what you have - although not that much.

What's the latest injury for Jack Hayes? TBC Knee on Saints site. OOC this year I believe.
I've been quite impressed by him when he's actually been able to play.
Seems like injuries are going to get in the way of him forging a handy AFL career as a mature ager.

Yes but...that wasn't actually Gibbs' value. Nor is it Marshall's. Goes back to that classic, the value of something is what someone is prepared to pay for it. Marshall's value to Freo is a 4th round pick. His value to Geelong would be closer to what you have - although not that much.
Fair enough - I was mostly saying I could see a deal for Marshall that both parties would agree to that would be similar to Gibbs'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back