Footy Dept. Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
For some who may have concerns about people who used to work for WCE, I think you'll be fine.

Rosa probably being partnered with RoB as a mentor, who Vozzo would know very well.

Reckon Vozzo's probably the one who's forced Dodo out, which is good for you.

You may end up being more conservative during draft week but if RoB is around, you'll pick the eyes out of the draft when it comes to talls especially.

He's also Vic based, not WA.

Vozzo is a very good operator (GM of football when we were contending/won in '18) and RoB basically built our premiership lists in '06 and '18.

Rosa also seems a good pick and is well experienced.

Enjoy the new era. It may take a bit but the recent changes at your club signal a positive change IMO.

Bring back the rivalry. Footy's more fun when the big clubs are up and about.

Last edited:
All eyes certainly on Rosa, he’s definitely not going to have a quiet first off season in the big boy seat.

Is selling low on a couple of assets and getting some deals done a good result for him? I’m not necessarily sure it is.

I would understand if Stringer or Laverde left for the security of multi year deals but we’d get a pittance for Wright, Hobbs, Tsatas or any of the other names that have been floated. Would be a pretty disastrous way to start a tenure IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All eyes certainly on Rosa, he’s definitely not going to have a quiet first off season in the big boy seat.

Is selling low on a couple of assets and getting some deals done a good result for him? I’m not necessarily sure it is.

I would understand if Stringer or Laverde left for the security of multi year deals but we’d get a pittance for Wright, Hobbs, Tsatas or any of the other names that have been floated. Would be a pretty disastrous way to start a tenure IMO.

Hobbs, Tsatas will stay.

I am fine to lose all of Laverde, Stringer and Wright to be honest as long as they bring picks inside the top 40.

Hobbs, Tsatas will stay.

I am fine to lose all of Laverde, Stringer and Wright to be honest as long as they bring picks inside the top 40.

Laverde is in essence a depth player so there should be a mutual happiness for him to explore. Incredible depth player if he stays though. Stringer expendable for the right suitor depending on what he’s offered.

Wright? The relationship between player and club would have to be completely and irreparably broken for any sane person to consider it, the only player we have or could have in the near term that is capable of consistently commanding the best big defender in the opposition and we are a much, much better side with him in it.

The former two are logical succession planning, the latter is deal making for the sake of making a name for yourself as the new kid on the block.

Laverde is in essence a depth player so there should be a mutual happiness for him to explore. Incredible depth player if he stays though. Stringer expendable for the right suitor depending on what he’s offered.

Wright? The relationship between player and club would have to be completely and irreparably broken for any sane person to consider it, the only player we have or could have in the near term that is capable of consistently commanding the best big defender in the opposition and we are a much, much better side with him in it.

The former two are logical succession planning, the latter is deal making for the sake of making a name for yourself as the new kid on the block.

We will agree to disagree about Wright.

Think Draper is every bit as good for that forward/ruck role. Better in the ruck and more chaotic/physical as a forward presence. Caddy will be getting the number one defender by mid way through next season anyway.

Think Draper is every bit as good for that forward/ruck role. Better in the ruck and more chaotic/physical as a forward presence. Caddy will be getting the number one defender by mid way through next season anyway.

Draper is nowhere near as good a forward as Wright.

You're taking a guy who can bang through goals pretty reliably out to 55 - 60m, and replacing him with one who's less reliable from even 30m.

Draper's physicality is nice to have, and he was impacting a bit more reliably in the air towards the end of the season, but I can't see him being a guy that'll get up around 2 goals a game like Wright can when played as a forward.

You're taking a guy who can bang through goals pretty reliably out to 55 - 60m, and replacing him with one who's less reliable from even 30m.

Draper's physicality is nice to have, and he was impacting a bit more reliably in the air towards the end of the season, but I can't see him being a guy that'll get up around 2 goals a game like Wright can when played as a forward.

But if Wright plays he is not just a forward. He will be a forward/ruck.

I think Draper can do that role better.

You are right. Draper is not going to kick 50 goals. The ideal world would be he kicks 30 or so and one of the small forwards find a level as he is good at bringing the ball to ground.
It would be great if Wright can fit me some old form but right now I am going Caddy at CHF. Draper at FF. Langford FP. Than whoever is left. Perkins. A couple of smalls rotating in.
It is not going to be ideal.

Then I think we have a fundamental difference of opinion on both fronts.

Draper cannot be the core structural component to a good forward line as an unpredictable agent of chaos. I don’t think that’s a thing. The way you make it easier for everyone all over the ground is put your arms around Wright and get him firing on all fronts as a straight leading, straight kicking, predictable leading man who makes triple the contests that Draper does and doesn’t get outmarked. If Brad wants to dumb it down, that’s how you dumb it down.

With regards to Caddy, talent is distinct from craft and despite him having all the talent in the world his craft needs honing, and that’s ok, but he will get physically beaten up playing on the big boys and they will not respect him. You will get weekly outcomes similar to our second outing against the Eagles where yes Caddy did a couple of things but Barrass took like 10 intercept marks because he paid him no respect.

I’m happier to let Stringer go because he’s not a structural plank and never has been, for me Wright is 1b behind McKay in terms of structural importance for the side.

Trading Wright is a great way to tank if that’s the goal.

Even in his worst year for us Wright still kicked nearly double the amount of goals that Draper did. Comparing them (especially if you think Caddy will be getting the #1 defender in the near future, which I agree with) is madness. Wright can kick 30+ as a forward/ruck. Hell, probably 40+. He had a bad year and still averaged 1.3 goals/game.

Then I think we have a fundamental difference of opinion on both fronts.

Draper cannot be the core structural component to a good forward line as an unpredictable agent of chaos. I don’t think that’s a thing. The way you make it easier for everyone all over the ground is put your arms around Wright and get him firing on all fronts as a straight leading, straight kicking, predictable leading man who makes triple the contests that Draper does and doesn’t get outmarked. If Brad wants to dumb it down, that’s how you dumb it down.

With regards to Caddy, talent is distinct from craft and despite him having all the talent in the world his craft needs honing, and that’s ok, but he will get physically beaten up playing on the big boys and they will not respect him. You will get weekly outcomes similar to our second outing against the Eagles where yes Caddy did a couple of things but Barrass took like 10 intercept marks because he paid him no respect.

I’m happier to let Stringer go because he’s not a structural plank and never has been, for me Wright is 1b behind McKay in terms of structural importance for the side.

Trading Wright is a great way to tank if that’s the goal.

Draper would not be the core structure of the forward line. Caddy would be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa