Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Huh this is just not true with Nick Daicos. Even opposition supporters who bring up this topic concede he is a star and great to watch.

I am also full of praise for him, what I find funny is any pointing out of potential improvement is met with akin howls of killing Bambi.

Thank God Gone Critical understood the topic at hand and the points made. Obviously he has also observed it. Again it is only one off pieces of play. No one had an issue with N.Buckley being well rounded and find it interesting they don't want Nick to be.

Go read any social media post regarding Naicos or on bigfooty. There is a lot of spite from opposition supporters about this topic.

Improvement is one thing. Playing to strengths is another. Im sure he is working on it also, without a doubt. I just dont get the obsessive OTT nature of him not being tough because he doesnt cannon in to packs.

Bucks was extremely well rounded. His biggest let down was his leadership style to an extent. Not like his game was any less because of this though

I haven’t really noticed the reaching in thing tbh though I doubt it’s to avoid body contact but rather that he sees it as the most attacking option.
Only thing I’d like to see going forward is Nick using his left foot more often. He tends to prefer the outside of his right. Just think it would make him even more dangerous and less predictable. Couple of times against Brizzy he tried a couple of sneaky outside of the boot kicks that went straight into the arms of an oppo player only 3-5 metres away. In those particular cases a handball was probably the better option. Having said that me giving Nick advice is probably a bit silly.

He will also be better than Pendles cause he has virtually everthing Pendles has plus a serious goalkicking ability.
Also much better runner. And much more attacking instincts. Pendles had a basketball guard protect the ball mentality and was very safe with his disposal for a lot of his career rather than the go for it and create goals mentality that Nick has.

Improvement is one thing. Playing to strengths is another. Im sure he is working on it also, without a doubt. I just dont get the obsessive OTT nature of him not being tough because he doesnt cannon in to packs.
I'm with you. It's like wanting Buddy to have launched and marked it at the highest point, when his big thing was muscling his opponent and trying to mark lower, keeping his feet and destroying them at ground level when he didn't mark it.

I'm with you. It's like wanting Buddy to have launched and marked it at the highest point, when his big thing was muscling his opponent and trying to mark lower, keeping his feet and destroying them at ground level when he didn't mark it.

That is a better example than i could ever give. Love it

It's where he reaches in instead of body lining the pill and protecting it with his frame.

Nick is not that small that he has to resort to that technique.

Last night there was an example had he took 2 extra steps and put his body over it absorbed the contact he would got possession.
Instead he reached in from distance whilst the Lions opponent similar size bodylined the ball and knocked it free of Nicks reach.

These are the types of examples he needs to fix and what people are referring too.

Not the hyperbolic crap sideswipe and Kirby like to spout about trying to turn him into Titch or Tay style inside mid and trying to get concussion like Selwood or L.Ball.
They do that to put an argument up that NO ones actually made, to try appear "rational" in there response and belittle the actual point with an out of context argument.
People read it add a like and then proceed to talk about a comment that hasn't been made...
Give him another preseason or two.
That said it's not an issue of great consternation.
There is no way it can be said he does not go in and under, he is just programmed to get and go.
Happy to see Nick preserve his body a little and play 400 games.

I haven’t really noticed the reaching in thing tbh though I doubt it’s to avoid body contact but rather that he sees it as the most attacking option.
Only thing I’d like to see going forward is Nick using his left foot more often. He tends to prefer the outside of his right. Just think it would make him even more dangerous and less predictable. Couple of times against Brizzy he tried a couple of sneaky outside of the boot kicks that went straight into the arms of an oppo player only 3-5 metres away. In those particular cases a handball was probably the better option. Having said that me giving Nick advice is probably a bit silly.
I agree with this, and have been thinking the same - Nick seems to not like using his left as much as I would like to see. Josh is great using his left, but Nick seems to try to carve a little outside of the right book chip or a checkside instead. I'd love to see him use his left more.

I agree with this, and have been thinking the same - Nick seems to not like using his left as much as I would like to see. Josh is great using his left, but Nick seems to try to carve a little outside of the right book chip or a checkside instead. I'd love to see him use his left more.
I would like to see him use his left more often as well. But I suspect he uses the outside of the right as it makes it less predictable to the opposition. He is a little inconsistent in his delivery of it, but I have seen it work extremely well on other occasions.

I seen him use his Left.

Has good Skills on it but not as good as his Right Foot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh this is just not true with Nick Daicos. Even opposition supporters who bring up this topic concede he is a star and great to watch.

I am also full of praise for him, what I find funny is any pointing out of potential improvement is met with akin howls of killing Bambi.

Thank God Gone Critical understood the topic at hand and the points made. Obviously he has also observed it. Again it is only one off pieces of play. No one had an issue with N.Buckley being well rounded and find it interesting they don't want Nick to be.

I agree with you both, but he will never be a hard, nose over the ball Wardlaw/Ashcroft type. Very few iron that completely out of their game (though if anyone could do it, a professional like Nick might be able to).

It doesn't bother me. He is the most skilful player I have seen, and despite the arm reaching and dislike of hard physical contact, he is still completely clutch and has played huge in big games and big finals. Also, gut running and workrate are not considered "tough" but recklessly putting your head over the ball is. Ziebell was a good example of this, tough as nails and lazy as all shit. But nobody calls him weak because he wouldnt run when he needed to.

I would prefer him playing more of that high half forward roaming role next year, just so he doesn't get smashed in the packs so much. He will also likely kick 30 plus goals, which can't hurt. DeGoey ans Mitchell back, Steele in the guts too, should work.

I will never love another man as much as I love(d) Peter, but goodness young Nicky does make the heart flutter watching him play. Josh is my favourite Pies player, he’s very similar to his old man particularly his kicking action, but I absorb the scorn from oppo supporters. Imagine putting your lack of footy knowledge out there on full display for the world to see when everyone, everyone associated at every clubland in the league would give their collective balls to have him on their list.
Would not be a single coach or player across the league that would not embrace him into their club yet the keyboard bashing lickspittles embarrass themselves constantly. Makes my heart warm.

Nick now has 7 games of 40 or more, the same as Nathan Buckley. 1 in every 10 games he's getting 40 touches, and he's 21.

Swanny did it 13 times in his career for context. Pendles 1

I was looking at that same exact stat this morning!

Nick gets 40 in 10% of games played....

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back