Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [32] Darcy Fort

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

A few hot takes from me...
1. Kai should have been the rising star imo. Would definitely have been after the finals series.
2. It's scary that Levi is going to be as good or better than his brother.
3. We have the best talent in the league and it finally clicked with everyone playing their assigned roles to perfection. Swans relied on a few players who were well beaten.
4. We have some of the best supporters in the league. To tell a bears or lions supporter in 1995 that we would win 4 AFL premierships and 2 AFLW flags, they would think that you're on drugs. We would have been happy with one.
5. Leigh Matthews is the šŸ. Without his guidance, we would have been a struggling club. Also Swanny deserves high praise stabilising the club after that poorly performing board (the paddlepop architects).

I'd estimate that most of us died in the wool supporters were guilty of a meltdown or three during parts of the season - so don't feel too bad about it now. It's only because we love this club so much!

No need to feel bad about it now. Weā€™re the premiers!

That was fun,let's do it again next year

I'm not even thinking about next year.

I want to soak up the glory of this year for weeks.

After witnessing the halcyon days of the 2001-03 threepeat and then the horrible decline of the club in the early to mid 2010's, I had just about given up hope of another Flag in my lifetime.

It's a well worn phrase I know, but I reckon I can die happy now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, so it's 9am, and my next commitment on this Sunday is at 5pm.

By my calculations I can rewatch the last ten minutes of the second quarter 48 times in that window.

I'm not even thinking about next year.

I want to soak up the glory of this year for weeks.

After witnessing the halcyon days of the 2001-03 threepeat and then the horrible decline of the club in the early to mid 2010's, I had just about given up hope of another Flag in my lifetime.

It's a well worn phrase I know, but I reckon I can die happy now.
This. I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon, and i certainly won't begrudge another one or two, but in an 18 team comp, if you see your team win 4, then you've had your share šŸ˜ƒ

Also shout out to the AFLW, 'cause there were more than a couple of times in the last ten years where they were probably the only thing that kept me wearing Maroon, blue and gold.

Said during the year that the worst thing that possibly could happen to this group was that opening half in round ā€œzeroā€ where we looked so good and unbeatable, that at various times during the year it felt like things would just click again for us.

Well by coincidence I think the best thing that ended up happening was going behind in the Giantsā€™ game a couple of weeks ago.

From that moment on in the third quarter (bar the 2nd against the Cats), we looked far and away the best team in it and we did it with such maturity that this team hasnā€™t shown in the past.

This is the way forward now. We know how to do it. We know we can do it. We know we have some handy ins coming in and back. Keep the hunger up and letā€™s go again.

I'd estimate that most of us dyed in the wool supporters were guilty of a meltdown or three during parts of the season - so don't feel too bad about it now. It's only because we love this club so much!
After the last two H/A losses I said we shouldnā€™t even bother making finals because weā€™d just embarrass ourselvesā€¦ šŸ¤”

Never been so happy to be made to look like a complete tosser šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘ŒšŸ»

This ^^^
Any numptie that wants to detract from the Lions' GF performance by suggesting that they won easily because the swans were bad, can gagf.

I've seen a lot of footy both on and off the field over many years and "the Lions were frighteningly good..." yesterday.
Just an incredible team performance. We know about the talent up forward and that they can be high scoring, but I'm in awe of how our defence and midfield played yesterday. Almost football perfection.

The Lions best is indeed the best.
Yep 100%. Honestly I can't remember a grand final performance where a team bullied the opposition more in this manner with their pressure, tackling and ferocity. To me it was on par with the 2007 and 2022 Geelong wins. The Swans still put up more of a fight than the Giants in 2019, but the Lions were just that much better. For instance it was like they just couldn't miss a mark. It felt like a lot was falling that way but imo you create a lot of your own luck.

Sydney talk about how their best is good enough, and imo in many games this year they've felt they can just win off a quarter or two of amazing footy. Grand finals require 4 quarters of that (unless you get to a huge lead early I guess).

This. I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon, and i certainly won't begrudge another one or two, but in an 18 team comp, if you see your team win 4, then you've had your share šŸ˜ƒ

This.

Since the inception of the Brisbane Lions in 1997, it's 4 Flags in 28 years, a strike rate of one every 7 years.

Equal best with Hawthorn who have had 5 in 35 years in the AFL era (1990-2024)

We are very fortunate to support such a fantastic club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back