Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

I need 10 towels. 5 for the egg on my face and 5 to wipe the shit up that I dribbled!!
I’ll be joining you; I put my foot in about Fages after the GWS game and I couldn’t have been more wrong although I had changed my tune about a month or so after that.

After today, Fages stays as long as he pleases. I’m already teeing up re-listening to that Roar Deal podcast from pre season when the boys had Fages in on stage. I recall Fages talking about what he learnt from many great sporting leaders from around the world at that sports conference last off season so it will be interesting listening to it again in retrospect.

One of the most unedifying thing about blogs , or sports scribes of any description in common, is the people who can't enjoy the success moments without going in to who said what mode.

Everyone says stupid shit . In hindsight. Everyone's entitled to change their mind. Everyone can be wrong. It doesn't mean they're not as invested as anyone who thinks they might have been right.

For the most part I've enjoyed the bakes and the melts . That's been a hallmark of footy club supporters ever since I've been involved. Two games later they're all cheering.

The ones I don't enjoy are the media bashings when things aren't going well. That impacts on peoples' families.

One of the most unedifying thing about blogs , or sports scribes of any description in common, is the people who can't enjoy the success moments without going in to who said what mode.

Everyone says stupid shit . In hindsight. Everyone's entitled to change their mind. Everyone can be wrong. It doesn't mean they're not as invested as anyone who thinks they might have been right.

For the most part I've enjoyed the bakes and the melts . That's been a hallmark of footy club supporters ever since I've been involved. Two games later they're all cheering.

The ones I don't enjoy are the media bashings when things aren't going well. That impacts on peoples' families.

Yeah but we can still laugh at idiots like King and Lloyd.

From a coaching perspective there are 2 things that had a big impact ( from the outside ) on turning our season around.

We brought some younger players in and rejigged our forward line with Lohman, Morris and Ah Chee . Players who had been role players their whole career such as Lester and Ah Chee became matchwinners in finals. The huge void Kiddy left was filled by Zorko.

Who knows what this had to do with it but since Cotchin and Dew came on board we've nailed the big moments more often than not whereas previously we'd coughed them up more often than not.

From a coaching perspective there are 2 things that had a big impact ( from the outside ) on turning our season around.

We brought some younger players in and rejigged our forward line with Lohman, Morris and Ah Chee . Players who had been role players their whole career such as Lester and Ah Chee became matchwinners in finals. The huge void Kiddy left was filled by Zorko.

Who knows what this had to do with it but since Cotchin and Dew came on board we've nailed the big moments more often than not whereas previously we'd coughed them up more often than not.

Brisbane Lions legend Trent Cotchin.

Scrolling through this. Fair few of you should be buying premiership towels to wash all the egg off your faces. Go lions, go Fages.
From an opposition supporter tipped you as flag winners from the start of this season as felt it was your time having been thereabouts over the last few years although you had me worried in the early part of the season. Congrats to coaches, players and supporters - well done as your playing group were just superb!

We were 1-5 in finals after 2021. Now 9-7. It was fair to question it a little but it’s been disproven now.
It just seems like we've been able to add layers to the various aspects of our game. Our ball movement was essentially quite static a lot of the time, long down the line even up to and including 2022. Similarly, we adopted primarily a one on one defensive setup which brought us undone repeatedly in 2022. Both these relatively simple styles of play worked reasonably well against lesser teams, particularly as we usually won clearances. But it would often fall short against the best and in finals, which was one of the key criticisms of Fagan and the team.

We really fleshed out our defensive framework over the last 2 summers, adding the ability to roll around onto different opponents behind the ball, allowing us to come off our man and forward at the ball when necessary. I thought our defence was as solid as it's ever been this year. And it needed to be given we also fleshed out our ball movement.

Obviously we adopted more of a kick-mark, lateral style of play during 2023, but then in September this year we rolled out the chaos module as well which proved spectacularly successful. But both of these only work because our defence has been so solid; both are high risk styles of play which leaves a poor defensive system heavily exposed. The way our attack and defence dovetailed so perfectly into each other yesterday was quite phenomenal to watch live at the ground.

One thing we can guarantee in 2025: we WILL get found out. It happened anyway at stages this year and now 17 teams will be studying us for 6 months. If we're to continue to compete we will need to progress again. Our game will need to look different again in 9 or 10 months.

It just seems like we've been able to add layers to the various aspects of our game. Our ball movement was essentially quite static a lot of the time, long down the line even up to and including 2022. Similarly, we adopted primarily a one on one defensive setup which brought us undone repeatedly in 2022. Both these relatively simple styles of play worked reasonably well against lesser teams, particularly as we usually won clearances. But it would often fall short against the best and in finals, which was one of the key criticisms of Fagan and the team.

We really fleshed out our defensive framework over the last 2 summers, adding the ability to roll around onto different opponents behind the ball, allowing us to come off our man and forward at the ball when necessary. I thought our defence was as solid as it's ever been this year. And it needed to be given we also fleshed out our ball movement.

Obviously we adopted more of a kick-mark, lateral style of play during 2023, but then in September this year we rolled out the chaos module as well which proved spectacularly successful. But both of these only work because our defence has been so solid; both are high risk styles of play which leaves a poor defensive system heavily exposed. The way our attack and defence dovetailed so perfectly into each other yesterday was quite phenomenal to watch live at the ground.

One thing we can guarantee in 2025: we WILL get found out. It happened anyway at stages this year and now 17 teams will be studying us for 6 months. If we're to continue to compete we will need to progress again. Our game will need to look different again in 9 or 10 months.

I think we will evolve again, particularly with some of the players to come back but even if not, it is one thing to know what it is, it is another thing to stop it. Our multiple gears and game styles we now have will make us really hard to defend against moving forward.

I think our core style is contested footy. We keep adding ball winners in the middle and build the layers like you said.

There is no magical, new style that we've unlocked this season like pies did in 2022 to be honest. Our brand is more blue collar like Giants and Swans but amplified by our repeat I50 + scoring power. So it'll hold up next season as well in my view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it shows that if the only metric you use to judge a coach is premierships, you end up dumping a fair amount of great coaches out with the bathwater.

C Scott, Longmire, Hinkley - one is considered a great legendary coach; one is considered a choker and one is considered a massive meme; all of their legacies could easily have been altered if less than a dozen games have their results altered

Fagan's journey shows that we should look beyond one result as a marker of a man. If Fagan had lost his winning percentage would barely changed. This premiership doesn't define Fagan (although it cements his legacy easier). What Fagan has done is turn a basketcase organisation a decade ago; into a strong organisation for the past 6 years. Its not just him - its a whole footy department working together to produce this. Just as quickly as things turned for us in 2019, so can things turn sour. Just look at Richmond - unbeatable dynasty team, recruiting and developing great players from nothing, a super coach and a great footy department head/ceo. Now they are likely to languish for a while in the bottom.

I think instead of put our frustrations onto the coach, the more important thing is to make sure we have the governance to be successful and keep winning with or without Fagan. Fagan's mantra of building relationships, getting the best people in and then letting them build their own legacy is what we should continue when Fagan departs. Football culture like that can fall away fast if it isnt preserved. Building it back up once its lost can become a never ending journey - just ask the Blues or the Broncos

I don’t think the window is closed - but this year looks pretty ominous.

Majority of the list still young enough, but will we be bold enough to re-think our coaching or total approach?

The list has issues but my suspicion is that a better system might iron out flaws better.

Mental fragility has cost us continuously over the last few years, we’ve coughed up so many winning positions (tigers in 2022 at the mcg, dees last year, opening round, etc).

It’s hard to turnover a list quickly - a lot easier to change coaching. Fages did wonders for us, got us within a kick of a flag so I doubt the club moves on.

Yeah, certainly not calling for fages tO bE sACKeD n0W, its an end of the season conversation.

To add a negative note totally belying my sober analysis above - quite frankly the vibes are bad.

I’m abandoning the stats approach this year and going on vibes, and boy these are dreadful ones, particularly with three straight road games coming up.

I agree completely but as I’ve said before in this thread, it’s much harder to change a list than it is to change a coach. At some point a coach stops getting the best out of the players.

Realistically year is done regardless. We might limp into the finals but if we aren’t top 4 we are no shot. Injuries have hit enough as well.

I don’t think this list is done but I doubt that the board is bold enough to make a change when knowing it could backfire. I just see a 9th-12th finish which is useless given Levi.

Exactly - this is not a criticism of Fages per se. He’s taken us farther than I could have dreamed.

But the cracks in our system have been there for a while and we’ve muscled through with talent. No shock that last week was our best pressure rating since the 2022 semi final against the dees - the last time we won a game on defensive application.

Matthew Lloyd and Aker’s comments this week make me want to renege on being #F#Fagesout

My simple question is - how many games have we won due to system in the last few years, and how much has been due to talent?

The answer is obviously both, but I can count on one hand the number of games I reckon we’ve totally brained someone tactically. Dees this year, Carlton and st kilda at marvel last year maybe?

Coincidentally those are all the games where our whole defensive application and approach was rock solid. For a lot of games though we’ve won through scoring power and now that’s fallen off a cliff we are struggling.

This is why criticising the backline is pointless, and I think they’ve actually been pretty decent to good this year. The forwards and mids have been brutal for the most part.

My sack Fages take is so old it’s frozen.

^^^ Get a load of this moron.

I'm still debating chucking up a jovial thread about some of the takes this season. I'm thinking I'll remove the poster's names and won't link to the posts if I do make it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back