Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? We've failed with him as the main guy, maybe it's time we really changed the mix up.

Not sure what kind of weird logic that is. Start by changing one of the only things we have that works.

He’s our best mid by a million miles, putting him elsewhere would just be mental.

Surround him with all the youth you want, but he’s our best player by heaps and one of the best mids in the league. He ain’t moving.

Not sure what kind of weird logic that is. Start by changing one of the only things we have that works.

He’s our best mid by a million miles, putting him elsewhere would just be mental.

Surround him with all the youth you want, but he’s our best player by heaps and one of the best mids in the league. He ain’t moving.
His stats suggest it works, team stats don't. I'm willing to change everything.

Wouldn’t be the worst play to give him the Gulden/mcclugage wing role to try and fit more of the small mids in the side

Nothing stopping us from trading back in before Kako bid.
eg:Freo keen on Bo Allan at P11 but also keen on picks for Chad bid next year. If he is gone and there is someone we are really keen on maybe Melb F1 &our F2
But if we trade back in at that point then would our traded-for pick then be used up to match any Kako bid that might follow?

But if we trade back in at that point then would our traded-for pick then be used up to match any Kako bid that might follow?
Sorry I meant if we live trade on the night.
eg: Tigers use P10, Freo on clock but decide to trade with us. We get P11 to use then we still have 30etc to use on the Kako bid when it comes at P12+

So

Pick 11 - Freo (On the Clock)

Essendon offer F1 and F2 for 11

Ess Pick 11 - Lindsay

Pick 12 onwards - Kako bid

As much as it’s not a fun sugar hit building a deep list is the best way forward.

Turning a FRP into 1 FRP + 2 other picks helps with that. The afl squad is pretty set but if we can manage to take Kako + 3 picks this draft in the 30-40 range to fill out the VFL list in positions of need that’s a pretty good outcome all things considered.

Defer as much into next year as possible while people are potentially overrating this draft has some wisdom too I think.

Last edited:
As much as it’s not a fun sugar hit building a deep list is the best way forward.

Turning a FRP into 1 FRP + 2 other picks helps with that. The afl squad is pretty set but if we can manage to take Kako + 3 picks this draft in the 30-40 range to fill out the VFL list in positions of need that’s a pretty good outcome all things considered.

Defer as much into next year as possible while people are potentially overrating this draft has some wisdom too I think.
Also need top end talent though

Weve been often known as being full of B and C graders

Im not confident an F1 + F2 will necessarily get you into the top 14 of this draft live on draft night

Pick 28 and 34 will be absorbed on Kako

Leaving us with pick 40 and whatever Stringer may get us and the very last 2 picks in the draft

He's also 29.

We have young mids we need to make space for who are part of the future there. Have a look at last year's game v. Carlton; there's one particular centre clearance involving Draper, Caldwell, Hobbs and Perkins (I think) that led directly to a goal. It was beautiful to watch. Scott needs to start playing these guys together to build their chemistry and understand more about what we've got and what we need.

We also have Martin who needs to be up the ground more. We need better distribution by foot from HB and I'd like to preserve Zach for a few more years yet.

The only question for me is around who distributes from midfield in lieu of Merrett. Maybe it will be Martin. He has expressed a want to play there. It's why I kept banging on about Braeden Campbell, who I hope suffers for lack of opportunity next year when Mills returns.
But I digress.

Merrett back could be excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe people think Melbourne are going to collapse next year. They were 2 wins out of the top 8 this year and now:
1. They are getting a fit Petracca back for more than half a year
2. Have a bottom 6 draw (super easy)
3. Have an offseason to adjust to filling Bradshaw's role (not two weeks)
4. Have two top 10 picks they will add to their team

If they get a half motivated Oliver next year they are a top 6 team. No amount of junket picks this year make up for passing on a probably top 5 Pick next year from Norf if they were serious.

Also need top end talent though

Weve been often known as being full of B and C graders

Im not confident an F1 + F2 will necessarily get you into the top 14 of this draft live on draft night

Pick 28 and 34 will be absorbed on Kako

Leaving us with pick 40 and whatever Stringer may get us and the very last 2 picks in the draft

Is Kako not top talent?

You also need to develop your high picks and I think our best 23 will still be pretty young/inexperienced to the point where with trying to fit Tsatas and Kako in there isn’t much room for another top rookie.

Having a 20 b and C graders is a problem but having 30-40 is an opportunity as you can start to combine assets and consolidate talent without negatively impacting the sides peformance.

I’d imagine picks 28 and possibly 34 get traded for more points/future assets before trade week is over. Drafts tend to get cheaper to trade back into on draft night. Rosa has said he wants to take 4 picks and I would expect 3 of those in the 30-50 range where teams won’t be overly enthused with too many players and there will be opportunities for a bargain

I see what Rosa is doing

We know dons fans justifiably tune out for the last 6 weeks of every season - we know what’s coming.

This way, we’ve still got something to watch for.

I can't believe people think Melbourne are going to collapse next year. They were 2 wins out of the top 8 this year and now:
1. They are getting a fit Petracca back for more than half a year
2. Have a bottom 6 draw (super easy)
3. Have an offseason to adjust to filling Bradshaw's role (not two weeks)
4. Have two top 10 picks they will add to their team

If they get a half motivated Oliver next year they are a top 6 team. No amount of junket picks this year make up for passing on a probably top 5 Pick next year from Norf if they were serious.

All good points. I think they’ll be better also but I wouldn’t put money on it. They could still could blow up.

May 33 next year could see a big drop off.
Gawn getting on.
Oliver petracca and picket requested trades or were looking at it.

Yep, big chance we finish bottom 4.

We've got a good history of playing well with our F1 being in another clubs hands, but I think this trade is a massive risk for us.
Not really because pick 4 next year may well be worse in quality than pick 9 this year. With Oliver and/or Petracca possibly leaving next year, it's a smart move by Melbourne to take two selections. That way if either of them leave, you'll have 2025 first rounders anyway.

Sorry but it doesn’t make sense to me to go for Melbournes offer over Norths just because they threw in some later picks. Could be the difference between a top 3 pick and a pick outside the top 10.

Throw a future second around for points if you’re that worried. Every top team manages to gather a few thirds whenever they need to match a bid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back