“The Ultimate Brisbane Lions Fan Page” on Facebook

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you ever needed proof that the Brisbane Lions AFC don’t give a **** about their supporters then yesterday you received it. Yesterday, the Brisbane Lions AFC had the 27,000 member fan page “Brisbane Lions” closed down without warning and without explanation.

Hysterical.

Can't blame the club for taking control of their branding but I would encourage them to open up the page to comments. Also, based on your version of events, one would've preferred better communication from the club to the members of the unofficial facebook group on the matter. However, IMO, that page was feral, poorly administered and a waste of space, so I won't be shedding a tear for its demise.

Hysterical.

Can't blame the club for taking control of their branding but I would encourage them to open up the page to comments. Also, based on your version of events, one would've preferred better communication from the club to the members of the unofficial facebook group on the matter. However, IMO, that page was feral, poorly administered and a waste of space, so I won't be shedding a tear for its demise.

Pretty much my opinion.

I'm not surprised since this is exactly what happened to the official forum on lions.com.au, ie. too many feral negative posts led to them shutting it down.

What's hilarious is that it wasn't even the club that closed it down.

"The Club was approached by Facebook, who have very tight copyright infringement rules, regarding the use of IP on unofficial pages. Unfortunately they look like they've made the call to close down the page. Believe us when we say the last thing we wanted was to lose 27,000 people talking about the Lions."

Waste of a good rant in the end.

Geeze there's some very angry people in there. Not spend a cent on the Lions cause they close down a FB group? I mean really...

Its also pleasing to see that the club has finally started to listen to the supporters and as of 5 minutes ago opened up the wall on the offical site to allow fans to post comments. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new era and the club recognising how important the supporters are and they will consult us more often on issues that are important to us.

Have you not noticed since Angus Johnson replaced Tony Kelly as Chairman and Bowers "resigned" that the club's stakeholder engagement has improved out of sight? Off the top of my head as new initiatives we've had the emails from Angus, the more detailed and regular injury updates, the videos from Vossy & the young'uns, the re-engagement with Fitzroy, the Browny text message plus I know for a fact that there's more to come. The impressive new CEO, Malcolm Holmes, has been spending a hell of a lot of time doing little but listening to fans - I personally know at least a dozen members who've had his ear already.

Sure, the old administration screwed up, but I suggest you step back from the ledge a bit and engage with the club in a productive manner - they are now listening, but no-one appreciates being screamed at.

What's hilarious is that it wasn't even the club that closed it down.

Thanks. I didn't think it sounded quite right.

Honestly, I doubt it will be long before the wall posts on the official page get shut down.

"usually teams learn a valuable lesson from a loss. Not us Lions. We just bury our head in the sand and come out with stupid quotations like "we are heading in the right direction". Thats all good if your richmond and been on the bottom of the ladder for 30 years. How can we be heading in the right direction when we won 3 premierships in a row and played finals only 2 years ago to now being bottom 2 and bloody terrible. Voss your clearly misunderstanding the idea of AFL!"

Do you really think the club will tolerate that kind of crap on the official page? :rolleyes:

Honestly, I doubt it will be long before the wall posts on the official page get shut down.

"usually teams learn a valuable lesson from a loss. Not us Lions. We just bury our head in the sand and come out with stupid quotations like "we are heading in the right direction". Thats all good if your richmond and been on the bottom of the ladder for 30 years. How can we be heading in the right direction when we won 3 premierships in a row and played finals only 2 years ago to now being bottom 2 and bloody terrible. Voss your clearly misunderstanding the idea of AFL!"

Do you really think the club will tolerate that kind of crap on the official page? :rolleyes:

On grammar grounds, if nothing else...

The best compromise would be allowing it with aggressive moderation. That's the most common scenario for corporate management these days, but the question is whether the club wants to hire someone who's fulltime job is effectively just that.

I find it sad that there are people still whinging about it on there, despite receiving the full explanation they were asking for, and one that shows the club never intended them any harm, and didn't even instigate the matter.

Suck it up, have the guts to admit ye's were wrong, and take it as a lesson in temperance.

wbb pretty much summed it up. I described the old group as an abortion, content wise, and would be mortified if the club were to sanction that kind of garbage being spouted anywhere.

Interesting to see though, I reckon they have a bloke over there that would give MBE a run for his money.

Just to give an idea of how some of these people react to a club that is being open and engaging with them..

Brisbane Lions AFC Hi Everyone. We totally understand the way you all feel about the unofficial page. The Club was approached by Facebook, who have very tight copyright infringement rules, regarding the use of IP on unofficial pages. Unfortunately they look like they've made the call to close down the page. Believe us when we say the last thing we wanted was to lose 27,000 people talking about the Lions. As a result and to give our members and fans a voice we've relaxed the wall post option. You should now be able to post YOUR opinions and feelings on the Lions wall. Please let us know if you can't. There should be two options - Brisbane Lions AFC where we will provide you with Facebook- only special offers, which will be expanded significantly in the weeks to come to reward our followers, as well as providing news from the Club website, and a Most Recent where your posts should appear. We want you to have your say but remember this a family-friendly site so please keep the posts clean.
3 hours ago · 4 people

Michael Gray
Nice work on the page, maybe the "official" Lions page can have a cry over this one too
37 minutes ago · Like · Comment

Who's crying then? :rolleyes:

Oh, we've got a mention:

haha reading the comments on the big footy page, they really hate us on here with a passion. I suppose it must be pretty humiliating for them to know that we now have a direct line to the club through the facebook page and the club is listening to us whilst the big footy lions forum is becoming pretty insignificant and almost obsolete. Their hypocrisy regarding "feral" comments on the old page is hilarious considering the dribble that gets constantly spewed forth from the clowns that lurk on there.

Gee, Fitzroy_, you're not exactly going to win us over with that attitude.

Maybe we should send Duritz into the fray over there?

Am happy to say i've never ventured onto any lions facebook pages. I want real discussion on all things Lions, not a page full of anger venting know nothing 'fans' that only show how little they really know on club related matters.

Whilst it's not all roses on BF, i understand it's a public forum, but atleast i do find people here to have some good discussion with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, we've got a mention:

Gee, Fitzroy_, you're not exactly going to win us over with that attitude.

:D That is hilarious. Yes of course...people who post on this board are humiliated that our whinging doesn't go straight to whoever looks after the lions facebook page to look at.

Sweet Jebus yes. He'd leave a few frothing messes over there. In a couple of looks I've seen the club referred to multiple times as communists (do you idiots understand the notion of communism and dictatorship are two different things, and that ye's sound every bit as stupid as the kind of redneck that cries communist every time he feels threatened?), seen Vossy compared to Hitler etc. It's absolutely pathetic.

Love this "direct line to the club" garbage. The club has re-engaged its members, after a campaign driven largely by people on this forum, with the assistance of the FFC, and a thoroughly shit season, was successful in ousting the dirt merchant that was running the club, and ignoring its members, and his side kick. Some of these geese actually think half an evenings sooking is the reason the club opened its wall up.

This forum was the first port of call for us people that had to wear the lions.com.au forum being shut down, in part because of the same kind of mentally deranged sad cases hijacking it. It's never the people that go to ressies games, never the people that get seriously involved, that dribble such incessant crap. When it is left unchecked however, it catches, and eventually a culture of aggression towards the club, for no good reason, takes hold in those that had once erred on the side of caution. That said, I still feel sorry for the decent posters, but can't imagine why they continue to tolerate such horseshit.

These fanatics are the arse clowns that get to enjoy the fruits of our labour, and the same ones that will get the wall on the official lions site shut down quicker than a lad in a lezzo bar. They're the whingers that sit in the stands crying "Kick it, Kick it, KICK IT!!!", so they can cry out a second later "WHY THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT!?", when the player just did exactly what they asked.

Part time supporters, picked up on the back of premierships, with a warped notion of automatic deserving of success, no matter the realities of the footy world at the time. Gotta love 'em :thumbsdown:[/end rant]

Sweet Jebus yes. He'd leave a few frothing messes over there. In a couple of looks I've seen the club referred to multiple times as communists (do you idiots understand the notion of communism and dictatorship are two different things, and that ye's sound every bit as stupid as the kind of redneck that cries communist every time he feels threatened?), seen Vossy compared to Hitler etc. It's absolutely pathetic.

Love this "direct line to the club" garbage. The club has re-engaged its members, after a campaign driven largely by people on this forum, with the assistance of the FFC, and a thoroughly shit season, was successful in ousting the dirt merchant that was running the club, and ignoring its members, and his side kick. Some of these geese actually think half an evenings sooking is the reason the club opened its wall up.

This forum was the first port of call for us people that had to wear the lions.com.au forum being shut down, in part because of the same kind of mentally deranged sad cases hijacking it. It's never the people that go to ressies games, never the people that get seriously involved, that dribble such incessant crap. When it is left unchecked however, it catches, and eventually a culture of aggression towards the club, for no good reason, takes hold in those that had once erred on the side of caution. That said, I still feel sorry for the decent posters, but can't imagine why they continue to tolerate such horseshit.

These fanatics are the arse clowns that get to enjoy the fruits of our labour, and the same ones that will get the wall on the official lions site shut down quicker than a lad in a lezzo bar. They're the whingers that sit in the stands crying "Kick it, Kick it, KICK IT!!!", so they can cry out a second later "WHY THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT!?", when the player just did exactly what they asked.

Part time supporters, picked up on the back of premierships, with a warped notion of automatic deserving of success, no matter the realities of the footy world at the time. Gotta love 'em :thumbsdown:[/end rant]

Couldn't have said it better :thumbsu:

Oh, we've got a mention:

Hehehe...that's a nice example of the prevalent puerile oversimplification that has kept me away from the place.

Here's hoping some official moderating will lift the tone of the place.

I'm sure they have their fair share of good posters, but the sheer volume of shite is more than enough to do my head in.

(do you idiots understand the notion of communism and dictatorship are two different things, and that ye's sound every bit as stupid as the kind of redneck that cries communist every time he feels threatened?).

Lol, I just noticed that myself...

Paul Bates hahahahhaa, and all hail the furor Demetriou and his SS leuitenant Anderson... I guess the Lions know their allegiance!!! But seriously, its about time Australia become a communist country!!!
17 hours ago · Like

I really don't think they understand the difference between fascism and communism... It's somewhat sad

I really don't think they understand the difference between fascism and communism... It's somewhat sad

Commie Nazis!

6rHBR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back