Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think one position Geelong could win is the ruck

I actually read a newspaper article on Naismith a couple of days ago - and it said - last weeks game was his 1st senior game since July - and all he had was 1 reserves game - prior to last weeks game . They actually made the comparism - with Clark Keating ( who only played 12 games - both flag winning seasons - and they also mentioned Brad Ottens - re 2009 - only played 6 games ( for all the feucken Blakey bashers out their )

So Naismith is a bit underdone - and i thought in that final - his marking was very suspect - he also looked slow - the big MCG ( compared to the much smaller/tighter SCG ) he might even look slower . Zac Smith can pull out a top shelf game every now again - hopefully he absolutely annihilates Naismith

Thats one of the few positions ive got some level of confidence that Geel could win
I think Sydney like to close down our exits from clearances, so they are happy for us to get first touch - in last years prelim we won hitouts 48-24 and lost clearance 34 to 40, for example. Still, can't beat them if we lose the ruck battle either, so you are not wrong - I just think we need a different strategy at the coal face once the ball hits the deck.

I think Sydney like to close down our exits from clearances, so they are happy for us to get first touch - in last years prelim we won hitouts 48-24 and lost clearance 34 to 40, for example. Still, can't beat them if we lose the ruck battle either, so you are not wrong - I just think we need a different strategy at the coal face once the ball hits the deck.

I think we're guilty of over-possessing at times - gives the opposition time to pressure ball carrier and next receiver. Or it becomes a crap kick that barely gets to CHF and our HF are led to the ball nearly every time.
At centre bounces, we've been at our best with either quick handball and deep kick in F50 or quick kick into F50.

Also at stoppages around the ground we tend to flick the ball around so the ball is in play-on mode i.e. opportunity for tackle.
Opposition sides have been great at hitting up a short target from a stoppage to create a mark.

I think we're guilty of over-possessing at times - gives the opposition time to pressure ball carrier and next receiver. Or it becomes a crap kick that barely gets to CHF and our HF are led to the ball nearly every time.
At centre bounces, we've been at our best with either quick handball and deep kick in F50 or quick kick into F50.

Also at stoppages around the ground we tend to flick the ball around so the ball is in play-on mode i.e. opportunity for tackle.
Opposition sides have been great at hitting up a short target from a stoppage to create a mark.
Yep, agree - need to use the boot so we can get a bit of composure out of the clinches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To say we've got our backs against the wall would be an understatement
It's been an unusual season and I do agree with the Coach when he said it's not who you play but when you play them.
We've been humiliated , Swans have won in a canter and are on an unbelievable winning streak - we will be "on" and they may be 5% off ( hopefully) - we live in hope :)

In the last 10 years with Geelong - ive only seen one outstanding display of Centre Bounce ruck work - and that was the 1st qt of the game against Hawthorn ( in the Hawkins after the siren win ) - where Orren Stephenson set up a 9 goal to 2 first qtr for the Cats

Big Orren ( who was a jumping ruckman - very few of them - a bit like Ryder ) would just jump - timing it to perfection - palm the ball down the throat of a Geel midfielder on the move - goal -and again and again and again - i thought at the time - how goods this to watch - and he was the instigator in probably the best 1st qtr Geel has played in its history ( given the quality of the opposition )

If Smith or whoever is rucking for Geel - cant do that - then why dont they just go to the Rod Blake textbook of Centre bounce ruckwork - and just bash the ball 30 metres Geelongs way !

In the last 10 years with Geelong - ive only seen one outstanding display of Centre Bounce ruck work - and that was the 1st qt of the game against Hawthorn ( in the Hawkins after the siren win ) - where Orren Stephenson set up a 9 goal to 2 first qtr for the Cats

Big Orren ( who was a jumping ruckman - very few of them - a bit like Ryder ) would just jump - timing it to perfection - palm the ball down the throat of a Geel midfielder on the move - goal -and again and again and again - i thought at the time - how goods this to watch - and he was the instigator in probably the best 1st qtr Geel has played in its history ( given the quality of the opposition )

If Smith or whoever is rucking for Geel - cant do that - then why dont they just go to the Rod Blake textbook of Centre bounce ruckwork - and just bash the ball 30 metres Geelongs way !
I remember our midfielders from that era put blocks and positioned to free up running lines like no other midfield I have ever seen, too. It seems to definitely be out of vogue, but reckon it would go a fair way to freeing up Joel and Danger on their disposals. I just don't reckon our next tier mids have the nous yet.

Scarily enough, I am not opposed to the big smash out of the ruck if we find ourselves getting corralled again. Its something that would throw their mids out of position and leave the contest up to flankers, where I think we have a bit of an advantage in one on ones.

I've often wondered why we don't give this a crack every now and again. Belt it toward our F50 - especially when Smith has height/reach dominance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back