Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. We start signing these guys on long fat contracts and literally straight away we start stinking it up. Keep the contracts short and keep them hungry. I feel like the Brayshaw contract in particular will really hurt us. Hasn't looked close to being as good as he was early last season. Lost a yard of pace and lost the hunger for those intercept marks. Looked overweight during preseason and doesn't look like he's done a days work in the gym. Looks totally comfortable, not hungry at all.
I’ve made my thoughts on Brayshaws season clear too but he did t start stinking it up straight away. He signed it before the Freo game last year when he dominated head to head vs his brother. We then kept him in the midfield all year lol

You can't call yourself a professional and have a rig like that. He's clearly drinking too much or eating poorly.
His brother hasn't got a huge rig either, but he looks bloody trim and at least has some muscle definition in his upper body. I'd say Gus avoids the weight room and likes a few wines on the weekends. Maybe the cheeky odd pie here and there. Can't get away with that these days. You can totally see it in his game as well. Watched him closely last home game and he wasn't chasing hard at all or pushing to get in front of that incoming ball like he did the year before. Seems to be content on where things are at. Always the risk in giving a fat contract i guess.

He's always looked sloppy.
I feel he hasn't always been sloppy, perhaps the navy blue conceals it a bit. Looks okay from this gf shot.

1682127276149.png
Nevertheless I do find it hard to imagine that any player could get that out of shape at the top level. They basically run half a marathon a game and basically training or at the gym full time. The diet would have to be well off imo, if tradies eating a sausage roll and a big m for smoko every day can keep in shape no reason why a professional athlete can't.

His brother hasn't got a huge rig either, but he looks bloody trim and at least has some muscle definition in his upper body. I'd say Gus avoids the weight room and likes a few wines on the weekends. Maybe the cheeky odd pie here and there. Can't get away with that these days. You can totally see it in his game as well. Watched him closely last home game and he wasn't chasing hard at all or pushing to get in front of that incoming ball like he did the year before. Seems to be content on where things are at. Always the risk in giving a fat contract i guess.
yeah. he's always carried too much fat for an elite afl player. even when playing good footy. But I'd say he's never been professional if he can't take his diet seriously. I'd say he's worse than jake stringer on this front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel he hasn't always been sloppy, perhaps the navy blue conceals it a bit. Looks okay from this gf shot.

View attachment 1667007
Nevertheless I do find it hard to imagine that any player could get that out of shape at the top level. They basically run half a marathon a game and basically training or at the gym full time. The diet would have to be well off imo, if tradies eating a sausage roll and a big m for smoko every day can keep in shape no reason why a professional athlete can't.
Screenshot_20230422_114203_Google.jpg

View attachment 1667007
Don't think you can really compare a photo where he's flexing after kicking a goal in a Granny to a relaxed photoshoot.

Gus has never looked ripped but he's gotten more out of himself in the past. If he was that much more out of shape Kane Cornes would be tearing him to shreds every week. Still deserves it for his form.

Don't think you can really compare a photo where he's flexing after kicking a goal in a Granny to a relaxed photoshoot.

Gus has never looked ripped but he's gotten more out of himself in the past. If he was that much more out of shape Kane Cornes would be tearing him to shreds every week. Still deserves it for his form.
Yeah fair point, I still wouldn't always been sloppy, at least from my own eyes. Certainly not like stringer but nowhere near Trac. I will say if he wants to play more mid he will need to work harder.

Yeah fair point, I still wouldn't always been sloppy, at least from my own eyes. Certainly not like stringer but nowhere near Trac. I will say if he wants to play more mid he will need to work harder.
I mean looks can be deceiving. You cant be too unfit running as much as we had him on the wing in 2021. He might be unfit this year but don't think the photos tell you much. Has looked lazy in games. Not throwing himself back into packs to intercept like last year.

View attachment 1667007
He looks ok. He doesn't look like he's in elite shape and never has.

what does his performance have to do with his body shape? It's about being a professional and getting the most out of himself. He's never taken his conditioning seriously. This is completely seperate to his current form.
The only reason we care about conditioning is because it affects form. He was obviously fit enough to perform the elite running required of our wingmen in 2021 though. Not really fussed that he doesn't make the Cleo centrefold.

The only reason we care about conditioning is because it affects form. He was obviously fit enough to perform the elite running required of our wingmen in 2021 though. Not really fussed that he doesn't make the Cleo centrefold.
I agree with this. All I'm saying is that even when he was playing his best footy he still wasn't taking conditioning seriously. It doesn't bother me any more now than it did before as I've always been critical of his body. There's no excuse for it after 9 years in the system. We don't know how good he would be if he got himself into shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back