Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 7x All-Australian, 2x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I think because it predates others, and isn’t a player-type specific thing (like most goals) so it reached the status of top award for the VFL before it turned into a best player over 35 disposals average thing.

I think it has its place but the way it is adjudicated now is so dull and narrow. The other issue is you can’t change to have someone other than the umpires judge it because then it wouldn’t be the Brownlow, and also it is the award for “fairest and best” (in that order) so it would look seriously bad to take it away from the officials whose role is to adjudicate fair play in games
See the problem with this though is that no one likes umpires.

See the problem with this though is that no one likes umpires.
Totally.

But I’m sure the AFL can see what a dreadful look it would be to determine that some other panel should decide who is fairest

Totally.

But I’m sure the AFL can see what a dreadful look it would be to determine that some other panel should decide who is fairest
The Tribunal could decide each vote over a 4 hour hearing.

Coaches award isnt far behind it.
Every pretends it is much better, but it is a midfielders award too. Max is likely the last tall person to win one.

I don’t know, maybe midfielders with 40 indifferent touches at under 50% are the most important to winning matches? Seems stupid to me though. Steven May is the person I have seen most frequently critical to our wins, other than Max but somehow nobody else thinks that so I must be wrong

Every pretends it is much better, but it is a midfielders award too. Max is likely the last tall person to win one.

I don’t know, maybe midfielders with 40 indifferent touches at under 50% are the most important to winning matches? Seems stupid to me though. Steven May is the person I have seen most frequently critical to our wins, other than Max but somehow nobody else thinks that so I must be wrong
Yep, so weird. They pay slightly more respect to other positions but still nowhere near enough to the elite KPD's and they are probably the most important players in the modern game. Having a guy who can stop someone and intercept is so crucial. Not only that they clearly rig voting towards the end of the year for any of their own players who are a chance to win, at least the majority of coaches do, massively flawed system.

Just aggregrate players, coaches, umpires and media votes, and award a Best Defender, Best Midfielder, Best Ruck and Best Forward? Idk

Just aggregrate players, coaches, umpires and media votes, and award a Best Defender, Best Midfielder, Best Ruck and Best Forward? Idk
You just invented the All-Australian.

You just invented the All-Australian.
I like to consider myself at the forefront of innovation.

As soon as I posted that, I knew this would be your reply, lol.

I like to consider myself at the forefront of innovation.

As soon as I posted that, I knew this would be your reply, lol.
I like it, but best midfielder would probably be on-ballers only with wings no chance (they often miss all Australian) and talls and smalls at either end would probably go to talls, even though they play different roles.

I would like to see something for best fourth interchange and best sub, or best emergency but if the SFA can’t get there than the AFL never will

I like it, but best midfielder would probably be on-ballers only with wings no chance (they often miss all Australian) and talls and smalls at either end would probably go to talls, even though they play different roles.

I would like to see something for best fourth interchange and best sub, or best emergency but if the SFA can’t get there than the AFL never will
Mobbs will have to invent a third and fourth interchange first! :cautiousv1:

Mobbs will have to invent a third and fourth interchange first! :cautiousv1:
Oh yes. I realised this but he’s probably concerned about the talent pool across the league. I mean most teams are functioning with at least 3 inactives, some who haven’t posted at all since about 2015

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he captains us to another premiership (Unlikely) I think he is the undisputed best ruck I’ve ever seen and his resume will stack up with anyone in history who played the position.

His impact on games is ridiculous for a guy who is a shocking kick of the footy. If he was 10-15cm shorter he would have been an elite KPD, has genuinely good hands in the air (Lots of rucks sometimes take marks because they’re tall, Gawn takes them because he’s tall AND has sticky fingers).

If he captains us to another premiership (Unlikely) I think he is the undisputed best ruck I’ve ever seen and his resume will stack up with anyone in history who played the position.

His impact on games is ridiculous for a guy who is a shocking kick of the footy. If he was 10-15cm shorter he would have been an elite KPD, has genuinely good hands in the air (Lots of rucks sometimes take marks because they’re tall, Gawn takes them because he’s tall AND has sticky fingers).
Alot of people say Clarry is the best Demon of the modern era, I'd say it's pretty clearly Max, Steven May probably 2nd when I think about it. Flower was before my time, both shade Neitz IMO.

Alot of people say Clarry is the best Demon of the modern era, I'd say it's pretty clearly Max, Steven May probably 2nd when I think about it. Flower was before my time, both shade Neitz IMO.
Imagine if we had a single elimination tournament for 'Who is the best player who has played for the Melbourne Football Club since and including 2000?' Headless

Oh yes. I realised this but he’s probably concerned about the talent pool across the league. I mean most teams are functioning with at least 3 inactives, some who haven’t posted at all since about 2015
:raisinghand:

Brownlows the shittest award in all of world sport
Gloucester cheese wheel race? All you win is the cheese you’re chasing. Add to that you’ve got a 90% chance of breaking your leg.

Gary Ayres award is the worst award I think.

Outside of Dusty Martin winning it the roll call is laughable. Jack Mcrae pissed himself in a team that got murdered in a grand final and won. Sam Walsh didn't even play in a grand final but was the best player in the finals series... spare me.

Gary Ayres award is the worst award I think.

Outside of Dusty Martin winning it the roll call is laughable. Jack Mcrae pissed himself in a team that got murdered in a grand final and won. Sam Walsh didn't even play in a grand final but was the best player in the finals series... spare me.
The whole voting structure of this award is so dumb, almost like it was designed by CTE riddled footballers :rolleyesv1:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 7x All-Australian, 2x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back