Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 7x All-Australian, 2x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Media heavily pushing the Grundy case.
Media pushing the story. 2-3 weeks out isn't the end of the world.

I'm actually pretty intrigued to see Max out. We've relied on him so much it's gonna force us to do things differently.

Last edited:

I'm actually pretty intrigued to see Max out. We've relief on him so much it's gonna force us to do things differently.

I weirdly don't hate it in terms of centre clearance setup, we're 2nd last for centre clearance differential, and got smashed in there again on the weekend. Wouldn't mind trying something different just to shake the mids up a bit in their mindset.

It's gonna hurt us in terms or marks around the ground though. In the backline and on the wing he saves us so many times.

I weirdly don't hate it in terms of centre clearance setup, we're 2nd last for centre clearance differential, and got smashed in there again on the weekend. Wouldn't mind trying something different just to shake the mids up a bit in their mindset.

It's gonna hurt us in terms or marks around the ground though. In the backline and on the wing he saves us so many times.

Trying to remember the last time he missed significant time, maybe 2017? Our clearance work didn't get any worse at all (If anything it got better) with Max out for a while that year.

He'll still make AA if he comes back and has two big games before the end of the year. Is so far ahead of the other rucks it isn't funny.

I'm actually pretty intrigued to see Max out. We've relief on him so much it's gonna force us to do things differently.
Im happy, hopefully less bombs away and a need to score more heavily.

Trying to remember the last time he missed significant time, maybe 2017? Our clearance work didn't get any worse at all (If anything it got better) with Max out for a while that year.

He'll still make AA if he comes back and has two big games before the end of the year. Is so far ahead of the other rucks it isn't funny.
Pedo and Watts, what a ruck tandem. :love:

Might not really count as we had Grundy, but he missed basically 4 games at the start of last year when he had that injury against the Lions. We were about breakeven during that stretch in terms of centre clearances.

Missed some time last year with his knee. I think it was about 4 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Max Gawn

Surprisingly competitive and far from out of his depth. Most 1st game under 21 yo ruckman get physically butchered by the experienced ruckman, not Max.:thumbsu:

Hille and Bell Chambers are two very good ruckman, i watched him closely, he was never rag dolled or out muscled excessively and positioned himself well in the ruck contests. Better mobility than i expected as well.

The grab in the last quarter was very promising. The kick i wouldn't read too much into, probably a combination of nerves and buggeredness. His field kicking looked pretty good to me.

Very very happy to have Max at Melbourne, cant wait until he builds up some more muscle on that frame and gets some endurance into the legs. Barring injury, the future looks very bright.
Good call.

I'm all for a bit of a Max love-fest tbh. He puts up with an extraordinary amount of BS and still fronts up every week.

All this talk about Trac being our best player since Barassi – he's certainly got more natural talent, but Gawn is the most consistently excellent Melbourne player I've seen. Lucky to have him.

I'm all for a bit of a Max love-fest tbh. He puts up with an extraordinary amount of BS and still fronts up every week.

All this talk about Trac being our best player since Barassi – he's certainly got more natural talent, but Gawn is the most consistently excellent Melbourne player I've seen. Lucky to have him.

Wouldn't be in the 10 most skilled rucks I've seen but he is without a doubt the most impactful.

Smart poster, wish he was still around to scout more youngsters for the draft.🥸
You could learn a thing or two from that registered user.

Should have read more into the kick.
Dunno, he kicked 5 in a prelim and an after the goal siren from a similar distance to give the Dees the minor premiership in 2021. I like the way Snrub thinks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 7x All-Australian, 2x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back