1116 SEN 2024 line up

Remove this Banner Ad

Been having a good think about SEN over the past few days as well as listening on & off, there are still a number of issues that they just refuse to address.

Starting off, Lyon & Watson discussed & took calls & texts for near on an hour (combined) today over the Dangerfield tackle on Walsh.

Seriously ?? Can't you guys find some other topics & material to discuss, interview or analyse ??

The other thing that comes to mind is the non-exclusive nature that a lot of their presenters when it comes to their TV commitments :

Lyon - On The Couch
Cornes - Footy Classified
King - AFL 360 & First Crack
Watson - Talking Footy
Whately - AFL 360
Maher - The Front Bar
Gaze - Bounce
Hutchison - Footy Classified
Brereton - Fox Footy
Buckley - On The Couch

If you can regularly see & hear them on TV, what's the lure to listen to them on radio ??

The other thing that is important (well ... in my opinion anyway) is that if they dropped all of the AFL/footy talk, they wouldn't have a station at all. There is way too much reliance on talking about the footy at the expense of many other high profile sports and sportspeople which results in many of the shows regurgitating & stretching out unnecessarily, the same stories across each day.

Furthermore, in their desperate but equally lazy approach to finding content, they also insist on making a story out of irrelevant footy minutiae which ends up being boring or ill-concieved.

There is a massive opportunity for SEN Head Office to grab a rather large share of the listening audience right across Victoria but to acheive that goal, they need to inject some creative thinking coupled with a of hard work to restructure the station with a much higher amount of genuinely entertaining programmes.

Are they prepared to roll the sleeves up ??

I doubt it.
In the words of Kingy, SEN needs some "dare". Its comfortable in talking footy like a parma and chips. Its a go to when you dont want to extend yourself. Take for exampled your example of the dangerfield tackle. Seriously and hour? it just goes around in circles and i find with garry and tim they dont really put their balls on the line, more asking each other what they think then provide half hearted answers. its more of what youd find between friends talking footy without any substance. Doesnt require research. easy.

its the same stuff all day. ive heard one poster try to legitimise the copy and paste nature of sen during footy season as "not everyone listens in the morning so need to hear the big stories when they are free". wtf?

Listeners like me are the problem here. When they stop talking about footy (or at a stretch cricket), I switch off. Particularly seppo sports.

I understand your position but the problem IMO is that they don't try to talk about other mainstream sports and on the odd occassion they do, they don't try to make it interesting or entertaining either.

I understand your position but the problem IMO is that they don't try to talk about other mainstream sports and on the odd occassion they do, they don't try to make it interesting or entertaining either.
or when they do they smirk and giggle. gary "its not my strongsuit", "im not across it" lyon

Can’t believe how many times I’ve heard him called Welsh in the last few days. About 5 times by Hodge alone.
I bet gerald picked hodgey up on that like he would some joe blow...

Of course not. He would of snickered like the ****en weak maggot he is

just my 10c worth.they need a golf show 90 mins a week,run it from late february thru to the middle december,updates on all the main tours,LPGA,PGA,LET,etc with meaningful info from minor tours,updates on the Aussies n general previews and reviews.theres loads of content concerning the professional tours,so many Aussies challenging too.
Better reach than tennis or car racing

Listeners like me are the problem here. When they stop talking about footy (or at a stretch cricket), I switch off. Particularly seppo sports.
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Despite the obvious criticisms of Tim and Garry, when speaking to and with a non afl football person, they are much more professional. And ask short and sharp questions. Case in point interview with Mike Dunlap.

Despite the obvious criticisms of Tim and Garry, when speaking to and with a non afl football person, they are much more professional. And ask short and sharp questions. Case in point interview with Mike Dunlap.
I reckon Lyon and Morris were a great pairing

Better reach than tennis or car racing
I remember years and years ago. Allen and Ox did a snap poll on which was better or which they would rather have: F1 or a golf tournament loaded with the top players. They ended up having to move on quickly from it because the F1 was getting the better of the poll.

That's how it is.

Sorry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like it's the same script on repeat.

Garry and Watson phoning it in, barely awake.

The Pontificator preaching a sermon to us from his moral high horse

DerWayne trying to break the world record every day for the most talkback calls taken in a minute

'Good enough to join us' Maher referring to every second caller as 'shags'.

Gaze being entirely clueless about any sport aside from basketball.

Gerard Healy a beat away from forgetting his own name.

Then the tennis/soccer/motorsport show boring the bejesus out of people and acting as a cure for insomnia.

Only AFL talk will sustain the majority of listeners attention and keep them dialled in to sen. It is what it is
Maybe we're not the sporting capital of the world after all.
Having said that. As much as SEN and the hosts talk up the sport of aussie rules, questions should be asked why don't they talk about AFLW as much? Or local leagues?

Feel like it's the same script on repeat.

Garry and Watson phoning it in, barely awake.

The Pontificator preaching a sermon to us from his moral high horse

DerWayne trying to break the world record every day for the most talkback calls taken in a minute

'Good enough to join us' Maher referring to every second caller as 'shags'.

Gaze being entirely clueless about any sport aside from basketball.

Gerard Healy a beat away from forgetting his own name.

Then the tennis/soccer/motorsport show boring the bejesus out of people and acting as a cure for insomnia.

Harsh but fair lol.

Having said that. As much as SEN and the hosts talk up the sport of aussie rules, questions should be asked why don't they talk about AFLW as much? Or local leagues?
Well Melbourne clearly is one of the world's leading major sports destinations. Boxing day test, Melbourne cup, grand prix that is one of the highest attended out of all the races, a million spectators to the Australian Open (highest attended tennis tournament in the world), highly attended international soccer team friendlies, 90,000 to a rugby league game, not to mention crowds for AFL, NBL, etc.

But that has nothing to do with the Sen listening audience. What I said is correct, only the AFL will sustain a decent sized listening audience. Anything else and a lot of people tune out or switch off.

I agree its geting a bit much, the other thing that shits me is host are talking about a topic, then they go to sports central and they repeat what just been discussed and then go to the news and use a grab about what being discuss all within 10 minutes

No one really cares about the W

This mornings interview with that guy was pretty good by Lyon & Watson's standards but they needed to reign him in a bit instead of acting like starstruck teeangers. Even though he did drop some genuine pearls, the American chap tended to piffle on and over emphasise too much for my liking yet the fanboi's just let him go on and on.

Exactly !!!

And I'm working on it, just completed a draft overnight program, halfway through a breakfast show and have made a start to lunch & drive.

But that has nothing to do with the Sen listening audience. What I said is correct, only the AFL will sustain a decent sized listening audience. Anything else and a lot of people tune out or switch off.

It's a bit like the chicken or the egg.

If they keep ramming AFL only down the listeners throats then they are going to alienate any potential new listeners who have broader tastes & interests.

Broaden the talk subjects and do them really well and you should still appease the regular/rusted on listeners whilst growing & expanding the overall listener base. It could easily double or triple given the low base they are coming from.

Bigger listenership = bigger advertising dollars !!

Remove this Banner Ad

1116 SEN 2024 line up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back