#12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Selection #13 - Daniel Talia

He's the one I wanted. Another Assumption boy. Can't have too many of them.

He's the type of player than can play pretty much any position. Very, very happy with Talia at the Crows.

Absolutley couldnt believe he slid to us, sure he was going to Carlton at pick 12. Anyway, awesome for us, and does anyone think he will play next season? Or will he be let to develop in the SANFL?

Welcome to the Crows mate.:thumbsu:

Edit: Just noticed something when watching his highlights video, does he have an unusual type of kicking action? Seems to guide it with both hands all the way down and watches the ball very closely onto his boot. Could just be me, wondering if anyone else noticed this?

He has the mobility to play in the midfield (and the tank as well). Played in a middle at the champs and would be an absolute bull in there. Dangerfield and Talia in the centre square:D:cool:.

I don’t see any reason why he will not end up as a midfielder. He reminds me of Kane Johnson, a big tall kid who moves quite well and nice skills.

Talia will be enormous as a midfielder/wingman/flanker.

That said, I wonder if we're intentionally drafting enormous blokes that can run in the middle.

Size counts...

Does look like we're aiming to have a couple of big, strong boys (apart from Danger) running around in the middle.

Was surprised when Rendell picked him (didn't think he would go tall in this draft but we drafted 4!) but I'm really looking forward to watching Daniel play. Where he plays is still unknown. Could play the Andy Otten role to free him up in the midfield or he could just be an enormous midfielder:D.

I don’t see any reason why he will not end up as a midfielder. He reminds me of Kane Johnson, a big tall kid who moves quite well and nice skills.
Kane johnson was 187 cm. Talia is 194cm . Think Kepler Bradley , the former Essendon player and now Freo player who had huger raps on him when he was drafted in the top 10 . Look at him now. Cant play Key position or midfield. Hopefully this doesnt happen to Talia. Guys at the height of 194 or 195 cm in the James Sellar range can be hard to find a position for them. Key position players are usually best at 192cm and midfielders under 188cm . 194cm to 195 cm is in no mans land.

Kane johnson was 187 cm. Talia is 194cm . Think Kepler Bradley , the former Essendon player and now Freo player who had huger raps on him when he was drafted in the top 10 . Look at him now. Cant play Key position or midfield. Hopefully this doesnt happen to Talia. Guys at the height of 194 or 195 cm in the James Sellar range can be hard to find a position for them. Key position players are usually best at 192cm and midfielders under 188cm . 194cm to 195 cm is in no mans land.
Players 193-195cm:

J Brown
N Riewoldt
W Tredrea
M Richardson
Barry Hall

etc etc ;)

Nathan Bock says hi too. However, TomBacic has a point. Recruiters often seem to rate thse 194-195cm higher than they end up showing. Those that do come good tend to be extremely good players, but the majority of them either disappoint or simply don't make it at all. It seems that the neverending quest to unearth the next Jonathon Brown leads lots of recruiters astray. I'm willing to bet players of this size make up the majority of failed first-round selections.

That being said, Talia plays a fair bit shorter than his height. This isn't a guy who's got half his touches playing ruck against kids because he was bigger than them, this is a midfielder/flanker who has shot up as of late without losing any fitness or pace. Assuming his continued growth doesn't stunt his agility or pace further, we should end up with a mid who is also tall enough to play KPP as necessary. Realistically he'll probably end up like Otten, brought into the AFL as a third tall either forward or back, with an eye to slowly move him around as spots open up to see where he fits the best.

I'm not convinced he'll be our long-term KPF or KPD player, but I am convinced he has an AFL future somewhere in our team.

Bahhh very jealous Adelaide, had my eye on Daniel for quite a while was really hoping we'd pick him up.. This kid will be an absolute star.

I don't see any of Otten in Talia, none at all. Honestly, he looks better than Otten, more athletic, quicker, more explosive. Talia looks like a great CHB/CHF for the future, if you wish to play him as a midfielder you could probably throw him in there too but he'd be better suited as a KPP at either end with his marking and big body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He reminds me of a slimmer Pavlich that we've seen over the last 2-3 seasons. He was played all over the shop.

My honest appraisal a few weeks ago

Honestly I'd be surprised if Talia played as a real KPD. Probably a floating 3rd tall. He has size but doesn't use it as well as I'd like. The way I see it, he is two good average footballers in one. His fans mistake this for utility. He lacks the intensity and awareness to be a star AFL key defender and he lacks the pace and decision to be a rebounding HBFer. I think he'll always be a jack of all trades, master of none. Composed, good hands and a good short-range pass kick, but just not the superstar some have made him out to be. Wouldn't be the worst pick up for Melbourne or Carlton @ #11 & #12 considering their list structures, but I think he'll never be much more than a link man.

He has a decent tank, but not the work-rate. I think he's a hugely risky proposition. However, if he can put it together, he has all the tools to be a truly elite player. And Rendell is confident, then I'm confident as well.

My honest appraisal a few weeks ago

He has a decent tank, but not the work-rate. I think he's a hugely risky proposition. However, if he can put it together, he has all the tools to be a truly elite player. And Rendell is confident, then I'm confident as well.
Lacks intensity? I've read that's one of his biggest strengths. And awareness, what about this then...?

Daniel Talia (Calder Cannons, VIC)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 02/10/91

Easily the stand out key position defender this year Talia should be a safe first rounder who could go as high as 6 but more likely around the 8 to 12 mark. Where he excels and what will make him a valuable commodity at AFL level is his ability to read the play. Time and again he puts himself in the right position going both ways. He cuts off incoming balls with seeming ease and just positions himself better than his opposition. I think he will be an ideal third tall defender playing a bit lose like a Maxwell or Harley. He very clean below the knees for a big guy, so much so that he played significant time on ball for Vic Metro at the champs including at centre bounces. I found this a bit odd at the Champs and wondered what the coaches were trying to achieve as although his clearance skills are pretty good for a key position guy they are below a lot of the genuine mids he was keeping out of there. Overhead he is solid rather than spectacular and he is not a big contested mark taker. He gets his fair share of marks but most of these tend to be courtesy of his superior reading of the play or getting open going the other way. He is a good punch however and makes good decisions about when to mark it and when to punch it away. He tends to have a pretty deliberate kicking style which could look a little clunky but it doesn’t and I think this is because he seems so well balanced over the ball. He does not have super range on his kicks but it is adequate and he generally is a pretty accurate kick. His handballing needs some work and this takes on greater significance when you consider that he is of a handball first type of player. His handballs tend to float too much and does not get much distance on them. I see a lot of preseason work on this skill. At the Champs he averaged 18.6 disposals, 4.6 marks and 3.6 tackles and his good form was rewarded with a well justified All Australian selection. He measured in well at Camp with good height, weight and skin folds. He did not test however with a hamstring issue so he is another that I have to go with the old eye test. I think he has solid but not great pace and he often seems to be going up and down on the one spot with the short stride that he has for a tall player. He is a pretty agile guy for his height and his endurance is pretty good I think. He has a nice build and I think will develop into a powerful presence at the back and could well develop into a great run off CHB.
I would put that down to awareness.

I'd liken him a little bit to Andrew Mackie in the sense that you wouldn't normally expect Mackie to line up at CHB on the biggest bloke in the opposition forward line. Has the ability to still take a big man if the need arises (Mackie has played well on Franklin previously and I believe Mackie is smaller than Talia), but he excels when he can drift 3rd man up and then rebound.

Moves like Mackie as well I think, smooth and almost effortlessly, doesn't have a kicking action that is as silky as Mackie's but I think he is a superior decision maker than Mackie, who I find turns the ball over far too often for a bloke who seemingly has great skills.

No surprise to see him thrown into the middle occasionally, as I said I wasn't always so sure he'd become a KPP even though his older brother was a Calder ruckman. This isn't to say he is an in between player though, I generally believe it to be an positive for him that he developed as a player who could win his own ball and work well in traffic. I do find he gets caught between (although I stand otherwise just before) which role to play, as KungFu said I don't think his fully embraced his height yet, but I think adding weight to his frame will certainly help... As will a defined role, going between three different teams, all with different requirements doesn't help. Having to play as your team's sole forward one week then finding yourself matched up on the opposing team's best forward the next week is surely a bit unsettling and confusing.
Versatility is obviously the best thing that comes out of this.

Natural ability/instinct (call it what you will) to read the play which I think is where the interest in him mainly as a backman came from, though I'd expect to see him up forward throughout his time... Could develop solely as a forward if the club saw fit, he has good hands and a big enough tank to develop into a mobile CHF.
He is a modern day tall though, tall backs these days must come through with an ability to rebound (like Bock) and for this, there is no better prototype in my opinion.

Little bit meek though, and I think he can be seen to lack intensity sometimes, this is caused a little bit by his nonchalant appearance as a footballer I think. The same sort of assessment that gets thrown at Pendlebury sometimes, in that a smooth moving, no fuss way they can get labeled as not as appearing to go all out.
Prefers to sit on the pack a little though and have the ball in his hands, which is a good thing, he has the confidence to back himself rather than relying on others.

The last good point is that there is no homesick or go home factor here. His brother was mates with Tony (same year), and he also played together in Tony's final year at school which will help. He'll settle in well and just get down to business,comes from footballing lineage as well who I imagine who frown very strongly on any desire to walk out on unfinished business because you were homesick or similar.

Anyways that is my final word on it, good luck to Adelaide and Daniel., bright future ahead I'd dare say.

Bookmark it, Talia is too tall to play in the midfield. He's not quick enough either to gather the ball fron the contest and all the little guys will get ahead of him. Also, please, there are a heap of players similar to James Hird as a kid, doesn't mean they'll always turn out the same way though (Bryce Gibbs good example).

Regardless, you picked up a good 3rd tall for now and CHB for the future to probably replace Bock. Not sure if it's the right call though given you already aquired Davis for the CHB position. Could turn out a similar case to Dangerfield in that he's doing School next year and probably won't play a game for the Crows.

Bookmark it, Talia is too tall to play in the midfield. He's not quick enough either to gather the ball fron the contest and all the little guys will get ahead of him. Also, please, there are a heap of players similar to James Hird as a kid, doesn't mean they'll always turn out the same way though (Bryce Gibbs good example).

Regardless, you picked up a good 3rd tall for now and CHB for the future to probably replace Bock. Not sure if it's the right call though given you already aquired Davis for the CHB position. Could turn out a similar case to Dangerfield in that he's doing School next year and probably won't play a game for the Crows.

Surely having just turned 18 he's already finished school.

So what if he's doing school next year? Completely irrelevant.

We now have the best tall stocks in the league. I'm sure, as a WB supporter, you'll realize the value of that.

Very pleased with Talia, I rate him as the 2nd best KP behind Griffiths. Not a big fan of Butcher tbh. Whilst I am surprised we took so many talls, with Talia still there at 13, we had to take him. He is a 10-15 year player for us, will be perfect to replace Bock and Rutten once he gets a bit older, they can groom him as a 3rd tall for now with various roles but he is a very capable footballer. Strong mark, good skills and what I think is an uncanny ability to read the play and take strong marks thrawting forward attacks. Rendell magic again.

Boy are we TALL!!!! Even if they all don't make it (and lets be honest they prob won't) we still have a very full and deep list of talls that will be the target of other clubs in years to come. We have the spine for 2 teams, now we can prob go for some more smaller mids (but I think 190cm is the new 180cm).

Remove this Banner Ad

#12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back