Past #14: Liam Shiels - 255HFC gms/33NM gms - 97goals - 3x HFC flags - moving into NM list mgmt post '24

Remove this Banner Ad

I have endless respect for Shiels. He didn't have to come to North, but he did. His impact on this young group won't be forgotten. Shinboner!
Yes it's true and sometimes when players at the end of a long career go to another club, it just seems to be about a bit of superannuation or maybe a desperate grasp for glory. But in Pup's case, it does seem to have been largely altruistic, with perhaps just a touch of future career planning involved. But without a doubt, he gave far more to our club than he took away, and that's something we can be grateful for.

Excuse the interruption. I've been reading both the Hawks and Roos boards about Pup. It's rare (and quite moving I have to say) to have two supporter bases expressing sustained appreciation and respect for a player, from the moment he walks into a club and long after he's left. Safe to say he's universally loved. I'm so pleased you guys fully appreciate him too and the contribution he's made. Congratulations on a wonderful career, Liam!

Last edited:

KANGAS COULD KEEP 'PUP' ON​

NORTH Melbourne is still working through whether Liam Shiels will remain at the club next season in a recruiting capacity, having announced he would retire after his 288th and final game this weekend.

Shiels has spent the last two seasons combining his playing role with work in the Kangaroos recruiting team, scouting junior football on weekends and sitting in on the club's list management meetings.

But the Kangas are yet to hold conversations around what a future role could look like for Shiels, who has been keen to work in recruiting and list management beyond his playing days.

Shiels, a three-time premiership player at Hawthorn before crossing to North Melbourne in 2022, will play a farewell game against his former club this weekend after announcing his retirement on Tuesday.

The 33-year-old featured 255 for the Hawks and will ultimately add 33 more games while at the Kangaroos, before hanging up the boots at year's end. – Riley Beveridge

KANGAS COULD KEEP 'PUP' ON​

NORTH Melbourne is still working through whether Liam Shiels will remain at the club next season in a recruiting capacity, having announced he would retire after his 288th and final game this weekend.

Shiels has spent the last two seasons combining his playing role with work in the Kangaroos recruiting team, scouting junior football on weekends and sitting in on the club's list management meetings.

But the Kangas are yet to hold conversations around what a future role could look like for Shiels, who has been keen to work in recruiting and list management beyond his playing days.

Shiels, a three-time premiership player at Hawthorn before crossing to North Melbourne in 2022, will play a farewell game against his former club this weekend after announcing his retirement on Tuesday.

The 33-year-old featured 255 for the Hawks and will ultimately add 33 more games while at the Kangaroos, before hanging up the boots at year's end. – Riley Beveridge
What an odd article, Pup literally said in his speech “I’m glad I get to hang around the club…”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really, really hope the club retain him in a list management/ scouting role. He’s been preparing to work in that space for a few years. He has been following the junior comps very closely, he is an asset.
I'd kind of prefer he got a player development role, but I imagine he will help with this anyway. Great to keep him around.

I'd kind of prefer he got a player development role, but I imagine he will help with this anyway. Great to keep him around.

He’s spoken about moving into the list management/talent identification role post retirement, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was one of the reasons Clarko brought him over, not just to provide guidance on field for a couple of years, but also for a role in that space once he hung the boots up.

I'm pretty sure Shiels will be in a list management role at the club. He'll stick around as he already started work with the list management team and Clarko.

Hey mods can we please get a title update?

#14: Liam Shiels - Retired, moving into list management - Thanks Pup.​

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #14: Liam Shiels - 255HFC gms/33NM gms - 97goals - 3x HFC flags - moving into NM list mgmt post '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back