AFL Club
Richmond
mcguane_luke_o.png

Born: 12/2/87 (26 years old)
Height: 192 cm (6 feet 3 inches)
Weight: 92kg
Games: 93
Drafted: Pick 36 2004 national draft

Luke has Played almost exclusively in defence for the Tigers and most would say he was out of favour at Richmond before being thrown a lifeline in the last half of the 2012 season.

Luke was brought into the senior side in round 15 due to injuries to other players and was given a new role, playing forward. Luke made the most of this new opportunity and played out the rest of the year in the seniors, kicking 15 goals in 9 games.

Pre season training suggests that McGuane will be given every chance to cement his spot as the third tall in the Tiger forward line alongside Riewoldt and Vickery. With his ability to be thrown back into defence if required, McGuane could prove a more than useful swingman for Richmond as we push to break into the eight in 2013.

I will also add anybody thinking this is the place for Luke McGuane vitriol is sadly mistaken.
If you want to say something in this thread make it constructive.

I certainly don't love McGuane but I love the way he goes about it. He looked completely and utterly gone mid last year. Credit to him for continuing to work hard. There's a lesson there for all of us.

A side note would be to remember how happy many Tiger supporters were to offload Jay Schulz (including myself) only to see him become a very good player elsewhere. Their age profiles aren't all that different. Perhaps this will be Luke's breakout year?

I certainly don't love McGuane but I love the way he goes about it. He looked completely and utterly gone mid last year. Credit to him for continuing to work hard. There's a lesson there for all of us.

A side note would be to remember how happy many Tiger supporters were to offload Jay Schulz (including myself) only to see him become a very good player elsewhere. Their age profiles aren't all that different. Perhaps this will be Luke's breakout year?

McGuane doesn't have an ounce of the talent Schulz has. Schulz was producing at Port at age 24-25 after 75 games. McGuane is still the same at age 26 and close to 100 games. Just isn't really up to it unfortunately. I agree it was a great effort from him last year but I'd be worried if he plays more than 5 games this year

McGuane doesn't have an ounce of the talent Schulz has. Schulz was producing at Port at age 24-25 after 75 games. McGuane is still the same at age 26 and close to 100 games. Just isn't really up to it unfortunately. I agree it was a great effort from him last year but I'd be worried if he plays more than 5 games this year

Schulz's last 3 years at Port produced 106 goals from 47 games...where he played predominately CHF/FF...he was recruited as a forward...
McGuane recruited as a forward has played 84 games in 6 years as a backman in a young inexperienced side being belted...
2012...moved forward kicks 19 goals from 9 games...
It is quiet possible that given more time as a forward in 2013 McGuane may kick more goals...he may not...and if he doesnt it may be his last year...thats the call...
A case can be made that the more time Schulz played at CHF the more confident he got...the more settled he became and the more goals he kicked...
The same argument can be made for Mcguane...the more time he spends as a forward in 2013 it is quiet possible he will kick more goals as a result...
Kingy did it...so its not impossible...
McGuane has imo played servicable games so far in the two NAB games and Indigenous game...
How many games luke plays up forward in 2013 is up to Luke...he needs to keep kicking goals..
The other bonus is that while he is kicking goals our younger forwards are learning the game in the seconds...without being belted...
Interesting parallels between the two players though..

He kicked 15 from 9, not 19. He may improve a little more but the bloke isn't going to be more than a bit part player. If that really. I want him to play reserves football because that means we have a young guy playing that 3rd tall role in our forward half

He kicked 15 from 9, not 19. He may improve a little more but the bloke isn't going to be more than a bit part player. If that really. I want him to play reserves football because that means we have a young guy playing that 3rd tall role in our forward half

How about you leave your criticisms/reservations about him to the Luke McGuane thread on the main Tigers board? He has plenty of critics (me included), that is well and truly established on many threads across Big Footy. Why can't we have one thread about the bloke where the glass is half full? None of us are under any illusions about the huge challenge this bloke faces this season, including himself I would imagine. Why not get around him (in this thread at least)? He wears our colours after all and the better everyone is going in a Tiger jumper, the better for everyone else involved in the Y&B.

Out of curiosity Coxy, were you a critic of Jay Schulz in his time at the Tigers? I certainly was. Circumstances can play a massive part in how things turn out for a footy player just like they can for any of us. Jay Schulz could be a poster child for that.

edit: The 3rd tall role by many is going to be filled by Edwards according to many observers on BF who is older than Schulz. Who do you have filling the role?

How about you leave your criticisms/reservations about him to the Luke McGuane thread on the main Tigers board?

Wasn't aware opinions weren't allowed in this thread.

He has plenty of critics (me included), that is well and truly established on many threads across Big Footy. Why can't we have one thread about the bloke where the glass is half full?

Feel free to start a thread where only glass half full opinions are allowed.I'll pop in and say I hope he has a good year and that I appreciate the effort he puts in on the track and on game day. He may have a good year, I dunno. I just don't see this guy suddenly becoming a player at age 26.

Out of curiosity Coxy, were you a critic of Jay Schulz in his time at the Tigers? I certainly was.

Absolutely not. Backed him to the hilt. I wasn't on this forum during his last season at Richmond but I was on another constantly advocating that he get a run of games at full forward. Instead he played 4 games for the season and Wallace damn near played him in every position there is. I backed Schulzy because the bloke oozed class and talent. Big leap, good contested mark, super courageous and quality skills. I reckon McGuane has one of those qualities.

edit: The 3rd tall role by many is going to be filled by Edwards according to many observers on BF who is older than Schulz. Who do you have filling the role?

Edwards would want to start getting a kick. TBH I reckon either Macca or Edwards will start round 1 as the third tall. It also depends on how we line up down back. Chaplin, Griff, Rance & Grimes would be a very tall backline. If we only go with 3 talls down back then I'd like to see Griff play forward. There is also Astbury to consider.

Are yes your right... i blame that little miscalculation on late night hours...not trying to fudge the figures...my mistake there...:oops:...

Feel free to start a thread where only glass half full opinions are allowed.I'll pop in and say I hope he has a good year and that I appreciate the effort he puts in on the track and on game day. He may have a good year, I dunno. I just don't see this guy suddenly becoming a player at age 26.

I was under the impression that this was the place where we went to dish out a bit of love to each player. Perhaps I was mistaken. Otherwise what's the difference between here and the thread on him and other players on the main board? There are plenty of other opinions I have about Luke McGuane. I have chosen to leave them out of this thread.

Edwards would want to start getting a kick. TBH I reckon either Macca or Edwards will start round 1 as the third tall. It also depends on how we line up down back. Chaplin, Griff, Rance & Grimes would be a very tall backline. If we only go with 3 talls down back then I'd like to see Griff play forward. There is also Astbury to consider.

I agree re Edwards. Probably the only bloke we recruited to our main list that I've been sceptical about and his first hitout did nothing to alleviate that. I hope they both put up a good showing tonight. Also agree with Griffiths moving forward but I suspect he's another year away from the coaching staff trusting his body to handle it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back