16 Uncontracted players at season end

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS
GC staff and fans need to be mindful of the Uncontracted players from other clubs, as one from each club can be GC bound.

AS these players will be critical to the competitiveness of the new GC 2011 team, we need to keep an updated list from each club as to who is Uncontracted at season's end.

Any players who 'get contracted' by other clubs for 2011 are off the list immediately. Any researchers out there? GC needs experience and big bodies.

So I'm guessing GAblett might be one of the 16. Any other possible choices at this stage. Wholly possible that players already contracted for 2011 may wish to be traded at end of 2010.

You also have to look at players coming out of contract in 2010 as well.

Looked at Lions site last night, and wiki site on them. Nothing at all as to when players contracts run out. Is this all secret mens business between the player/manager/club? Any ideas as to how we can get the info required?

Wont be 16 , 8-9 max and going from todays bully Jared Brennan has been approached , let the war begin.:D

Yeah mate, saw in weekend papers that Alistair Lynch (or his ghost writer) reckon they'll only need a key defender, key forward, exp ruckman, 3-5 midfielders. So thats 8 max that theyll likely be trading for.

I wonder how many Vossy will trade off at seasons end and be snapped up by GC?

Looked at Lions site last night, and wiki site on them. Nothing at all as to when players contracts run out. Is this all secret mens business between the player/manager/club? Any ideas as to how we can get the info required?

Sorry BF not for public consumption, so will have to rely on media leaks or knowing somebody.Unfortunately most will be agents lifting the ante on their clients deals.

Wont be 16 , 8-9 max and going from todays bully Jared Brennan has been approached , let the war begin.:D

Just read it in the paper. Graeme Downie left the GC17 group after seeing Brennan's name at the top of a hitlist, despite his assurance to his former club Lions that none would be targeted.

Given Brennan's dodgy relationship with Lethal, I spose its understandable that his contract would run out this year. But his value to the club as a 'suddenly mature' player (and NT origin) will be talked up to increase his next contract at Lions.

He was always going to be an obvious target, a fact not lost on himself or his agent.
Great to see some argy-bargy in the press tho. This year is gonna be sooooo interesting. ;)

Just a thought. If GAblett doesnt sue the GC Bulletin for their ad with him in GC colours, and Geelong don't announce a new contract with him this year, then he's going to GC.

Ditto last bit for Brennan at Lions.

Would love to see Brennan string together a few 30 plus possession games before contractual talks. He lacks consistency, even if there is no doubt that he has imense talent.

He and Staker should be good friends. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dare say he will be one of many touted before the end of the season , being a Gold Coast boy even more so , Melbourne would'nt want to lose him.

No doubt there will be many touted this year, and mostly Coast boys.
But all I can go on now is the Uncontracted ones who will be targeted.

In the hurley burley of the trades/draft weeks there will be surprises for us as in the non-obvious selections.

But so far, of the 16 possibles, we have GAblett (Cats) Brennan (Lions) Petterd (Dees) All handy acquisitions you would think.

And it begins.

Nathan Krakouer, Scott Thompson on Gold Coast radar Michelangelo Rucci

NEW AFL franchise Gold Coast has its sights on Crows midfielder Scott Thompson and Port Adelaide half-back Nathan Krakouer.
The Gold Coast can claim as many as 16 uncontracted players from other clubs at the end of the season.

The new club has previously been linked with Crows Patrick Dangerfield and Nathan Bock and at rising Port Adelaide stars Travis Boak and Robbie Gray.

Before this season Adelaide secured former Queenslander Kurt Tippett, considered one of the Gold Coast's top recruiting targets, with a new three-year contract.

Thompson, 27, is a strategic pick with the Gold Coast wanting experienced players with leadership potential - and perhaps capable of being lured by a loaded "last contract".

Krakouer, 21, is the second-chance dream of Gold Coast's list manager Scott Clayton. He has carried regrets over missing the West Australian in the 2006 AFL national draft when he was recruiting manager for the Western Bulldogs.

Both players are out of contract at the end of the season. They could simply take free passage to the Gold Coast - leaving the Crows and Power waiting for the AFL to declare compensation by draft picks.

Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna last week said on Adelaide radio station FIVEaa: "The official party line is we are not saying who we are talking to."

When pressed, McKenna added: "We have spoken to four to five players. But there is nothing in concrete, nothing set in stone."

The AFL's compensation system is based on a complicated formula. The league will assess a player's age, offering greater compensation for younger players.

Also factored into the compensation package is a player's status in his current club as measured by his salary and on-field performances (with club best-and-fairest rankings being a key).

Thompson ranked third in Adelaide's best-and-fairest count in 2007 and '08. He was a first-round draftee. He could still be valued as a first-round draft pick as compensation to the Crows.

Krakouer was a third-round pick. He is in his fourth year at Alberton. He has no top-order finishes in the Power's best-and-fairest count. His compensation package to Port would be no more than a second-round draft pick.

I hate too add in another NRL players name into the ring however 21 year israel Folau from the Brisbane Broncos apprently has 8 days to make a decision on staying with the club and apprently he is considering AFL.

Perhaps Karmichael Hunt has got in his ear and also reccomended him to GC?

Just a thought no source other than this on the NRL website:

Izzy could fly the coup like Hunt

By Wayne Heming AAP Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:35:33

High-leaping Brisbane Bronco Israel Folau is understood to be considering a Karmichael Hunt-like offer to jump to the AFL.
And it's understood rugby union interests have joined NRL clubs by weighing in with a tempting proposal in a three code tug'o'war for the exceptionally athletic 21 year-old who has eight days to decide if he remains a Bronco beyond 2010.
The youngest player in history to represent Australia, Folau had a `get out' clause inserted two years' into his four year $1.5 million contract with the six time premiers who did not have a coach appointed at the time the deal was done.
If he activates the clause, he'll be a free agent at the end of the season.
Folau's delay in telling the club and coach Ivan Henjak of his intentions has led to increased speculation he is seriously considering walking out on Brisbane.
The incoming AFL franchise on the Gold Coast pulled off a stunning recruiting coup last year when it lured Hunt to its game.
Folau, who has scored some spectacular tries with his high flying leaps, trained with AFL players when he played with the Melbourne Storm before joining Brisbane in 2009.
At 195cm and 102kg he is very similar in build to Brisbane Lion full forward Johnathan Brown who is 195cm and 104kg.
Folau said on Wednesday he wanted to take all the time available to make the best decision for his future.
It's understood family issues could be a factor in his final decision.
Henjak said he would know Folau's decision in eight days and deal with it then.
"I'm not going to pressure him," said Henjak after training on Thursday.
"I don't know (what he'll do), he's kept things pretty close to his chest.
"Hopefully he'll be staying."
With third party deals, Folau could potentially be Brisbane's highest paid player ahead of club captain Darren Lockyer.
When Brisbane signed him, they were hoping he'd be a franchise player they could build future premiership sides around.
"He's a big time player and he's got a real presence about him and we'd like to keep him," said Henjak.
"But if he doesn't want to be here than we will let him go.
"I'd like to think he wants to stay.
"I think he's happy here.
"I'll know his answer in eight days."
Melbourne's new Super 15 franchise the Rebels have denied interest in the young Bronco while Melbourne Storm officials have refused to comment on rumours they have discussed bringing him back to the club.

Sorry link isn't working!

All rumor and speculation at this stage but if he doesn't sign with the Broncos in the next 8 days speculation could get a little stronger!

Fremantle

Tarrant
Pav
McPharlin
Hinkley
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden
Ibbotson
Grover (Veteran list)
Walters
Bucovaz
Hall
Bradley
Hase
Dodd
Headland
O'Brien
Solomon - retired

Johnson
Clarke
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Ruffles
Broughton
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Crichton
Roberton
Bollenhagen
Mayne

Hill
Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow

Sandilands

Rookies
de Boer
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard
Van Berlo
Silvagni

From the looks of that 2010 list, I'd say the only two that I'd consider having would be Mundy and Ibbotson, the rest are too old, too young/not proven yet or are players that you can't afford (yes, even you can't match the p0wer of the Veterans list)

Lionshine, thanks for that news. Always thought Folau would look great in an AFL team. You've really opened up the 'uncontracted players' concept by extending it to other footy codes. If Folau does 'a Karmichael, it will be a salutary nail in NRLs coffin, and could open up the floodgate for many more suitables to also consider AFL, filling the 18 teams nicely.
GC should go all out to get Folau- he's probably on par with KH.

DYS - thats a great list you have from Freo there. I'd like others to provide the same from the other clubs. Secret Mens Business pfft. :D

I hope you have someone heading around to Greg Inglis and Billy Slaters place as we speak, forget Ablett!!

Whether or not NRL breaks apart at the seams (looking more and more likely with each new season) Inglis and Slater (like Karmichael) have achieved everything they possibly could have in RL - premierships, Kangaroos, WC.

Like Karmichael, they'll be looking for a new challenge. Its actually quite difficult for RLers to swap to RU, given the diff posies and game strategies and structure. AFL though, offers a welcome release to any high marking NRLers. Kieren Jack at Swans has shown that an RL upbringing is not too bad a basis for a tagging role in AFL. Swans LRT has shown that an RU line-out guy does ok as a tall in defence or third ruckman. :footy:

I find it exceedingly curious that Geelong are going to extraordinary lengths to hog-tie the AFL into a review of its GC draft concessions. The Cats are screaming blue murder that their compensation for possibly losing GAblett will be at best, pick 26, or it 27? (plus the other lower whatevers).

What I haven't heard at all from Geelong FC is "we have signed GAblett to a new contract". Until we hear those words, Gazza will be a GC Gazza !!!

Selwood hasnt signed yet, you guys might get both Ablett and Selwood. Get Selwood with your uncontracted pick and get Ablett to nominated for the National Draft and pick him with one of your first picks.

Then go to Geelong, then get them to trade Ablett for pick 5 or they lose him for nothing.

Also, you want to do tha same with another topline clubs.

Evil but if the rules are stacked up for u, why not?

Whether or not NRL breaks apart at the seams (looking more and more likely with each new season) Inglis and Slater (like Karmichael) have achieved everything they possibly could have in RL - premierships, Kangaroos, WC.

Like Karmichael, they'll be looking for a new challenge. Its actually quite difficult for RLers to swap to RU, given the diff posies and game strategies and structure. AFL though, offers a welcome release to any high marking NRLers. Kieren Jack at Swans has shown that an RL upbringing is not too bad a basis for a tagging role in AFL. Swans LRT has shown that an RU line-out guy does ok as a tall in defence or third ruckman. :footy:

my dad was LRTs ru coach when he was young

Hurley has signed on for Bombers for next two years, so thats another non-Uncontracted player. Damn he would've been good for GC.

Selwood of Geelong has just re-signed.
Its starting to look very much like the old Bris Bears situation again. By end of season, the only uncontracted players will be those that clubs don't want.

GC might have to seriously look at the QAFL to get any experienced or big-bodied players. Dzufer of Redlands and a few of the Labrador players could warrant a good look.

Remove this Banner Ad

16 Uncontracted players at season end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back