Senior 17. Brodie Kemp

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we might have accidentally found two genuine forwards this year. First Williams moving forward for a game this year and ending up kicking 4 goals in his first game up forward and then 3 the next week, and now Kemp moving up forward because of Charlie and Harry’s absence and kicking 4 goals. Missing Charlie and Harry this round proved to be a good thing.
Not really accidents….

Earlier in the season OTC clowns were calling for our Williams to move forward …lots of others suggested it as well…. Coaches finally made the call and we’ve never looked back.

Re Kemp

Almost everyone posting on here were suggesting he should be moved into f50.

Imo they weren’t accidents. They were obvious choices.

Better late than never though.

If Kemp becomes a consistent option up forward I think the solution is rather simple... We unleash the Charles up the field and let him free roam like J.Cameron. He's the best kick in our team imo, borderline unbeatable 1 on 1 when fully healthy and can win his own pill below his knees.

Have Kemp and Harry sitting back as deeper options and let Charlie go crazy.

With that said, we need to see more before we go worrying about any permanent shifts/role changes.

I probably should have worded it better but this is my inference.

Can't play them all deep BUT the option of moving them around and having different targets is what we need. Harry, Charlie and Kemp are all good enough to spend time up the ground and they need to

IMO one issue we have is we are way to Charlie targeted. Makes us easy to pick off

Also, ball movement inside 50 is a big part. All year I have been asking for us to stop bombing it n. When we did yesterday our smalls could go to work and they were great especially the way we tackled and locked the ball in

This is what I hope we learnt

I think we might have accidentally found two genuine forwards this year. First Williams moving forward for a game this year and ending up kicking 4 goals in his first game up forward and then 3 the next week, and now Kemp moving up forward because of Charlie and Harry’s absence and kicking 4 goals. Missing Charlie and Harry this round proved to be a good thing.

Agree. Sadly these great moves seem to come out of necessity rather than creative thinking.

It’s always been my concern with Voss. He is very stoic and stubborn. That can be good but sometimes I think he is predictable and doesn’t get the best out of players because of it

Kemp has always had that attacking flare and straight lines the ball hard. I’m gathering that trait and his size played a role in him being deployed into the backline.

But what I see with Kemp is a full forward type more so than the 3rd tall type. Who wouldn’t want to see Kemp running at the ball coming inside 50 from the goal square and launching at it like he did yesterday.

Kid has talent in spades and we need to get the best out of him.

A goal in each quarter yesterday is something we rarely see from our forwards. He was switched on

Kemp has always had that attacking flare and straight lines the ball hard. I’m gathering that trait and his size played a role in him being deployed into the backline.

But what I see with Kemp is a full forward type more so than the 3rd tall type. Who wouldn’t want to see Kemp running at the ball coming inside 50 from the goal square and launching at it like he did yesterday.

Kid has talent in spades and we need to get the best out of him.

A goal in each quarter yesterday is something we rarely see from our forwards. He was switched on

He's a smart, talented player. Watch the way he moved and created. It was very much like a talented mid.

He's tough and makes things happen. I really hope we look at him splitting time between fwd and midfield in the future. He will really change our side

I think the other thing that I was impressed with yesterday was his willingness to use his speed and size to create some pressure and chaos. A few times he just straight-lined a ground ball, didn't win it, but took down a couple of bodies. Then the smalls were able to mop up and create scores.

This, more than anything else, makes me think he could stay forward when Charlie and Harry come back. To be fair, it is also what JSOS adds when he is down there.

Agree. Sadly these great moves seem to come out of necessity rather than creative thinking.

It’s always been my concern with Voss. He is very stoic and stubborn. That can be good but sometimes I think he is predictable and doesn’t get the best out of players because of it
Soapy, if I could send one post on this forum to Voss and Co. it would be this one!
Nail on Head!!

I think the other thing that I was impressed with yesterday was his willingness to use his speed and size to create some pressure and chaos. A few times he just straight-lined a ground ball, didn't win it, but took down a couple of bodies. Then the smalls were able to mop up and create scores.

This, more than anything else, makes me think he could stay forward when Charlie and Harry come back. To be fair, it is also what JSOS adds when he is down there.

Imagine him on ball :cool:

Funny that "where he plays worst" was where he played 80% of his junior footy.

Without actually being considered a key defender though. He's quick and can take a mark, but Vic Country used him forward, back and midfield. He's a genuine utility and was never promoted as a key defender.

He'd still be good being used as a medium defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started the game shitting on Brodie after he fobbed a great opportunity by slipping over and giving it back to the opposition.

But he proved me wrong by the end of the game. Very pleased for him and hope he stays up forward. Just not suited to down back at this level and gets caught under pressure or makes bad decisions a bit too often. In saying that, I'm a believer in his talent and always thought he just needed to find his position at the level.

Would love to see him trialed up forward (and even as the forward-streaming mid/wing from stoppages) over the offseason, with Young (or Haynes if he comes across) down back with Weiters.

Without actually being considered a key defender though. He's quick and can take a mark, but Vic Country used him forward, back and midfield. He's a genuine utility and was never promoted as a key defender.

He'd still be good being used as a medium defender.

Oh hes a utility for sure, but starting his AFL career as a defender key or intercept was never the "wrong" or "bad" move

Players want consistency too.

Too many times our club has drafted a player and tried to turn him into something else, like the wasted Weitering 18 months as a key forward.

Seriously what a game and way to stand up from the young man. Very impressed. Kemp and Williams are in our best forward mix IMO. I'm now resigned to losing Martin, but geez if everyone was healthy and the mids stopped bombing the ball long like they did so well yesterday, we'd have a scarily good forwardline.

HF: Williams Charlie Kemp
FF: Motlop McKay Owies
Int: Fogarty

As others have said, Kemp is no stranger to roaming up the ground so we suddenly have 3 mobile outlets between Kemp, Charlie and Harry.

From all reports it also looked like Kemp would be squeezed out of the 2025 backline if we can finally find a genuine 2nd KPD to combine with Weiters and McGOov. So I'm glad we can hopefully repurpose Kemp because he's got so much talent.

FF: Motlop Kemp Owies
HF: Williams Harry Charlie

I believe this would release Williams and Charlie (if fully fit) to roam the field. Harry needs to be in the game so not at FF.
Kemp can take a mark and will put pressure on defenders, Owies leads up or operates in the 30m arc and Motlop to feed at Kemps feet.

I defend him every week. I felt he was being thrown to the wolves being used as a key defender. I'm so happy for him today.
I always felt Luke Livingston was treated in a similar fashion ...played by Carlton at fullback against the big gorillas when he had made his reputation as a talented CHF prior to the draft. We never got to see the best of what had been a very talented junior

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior 17. Brodie Kemp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back