Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes at his best that has been the case. But out of the 96 games we've seen it maybe 10 times?
He has been shown up by the likes of Zach, Gleeson and Jackson, who have demonstrated that you can come into a strong side and play a role without making memorable and catastrophic decisions! We aren't talking about his first 20 - 30 games here either, we are talking about someone who continues to make terrible decisions as a relatively senior player. When Zach, Gleeson and Jackson are approaching the 100 game mark, the difference between them and Melksham will be staggering. They will be like Hurley, Bags, Pig, Zaka etc, in that they will be reliable dependable decision makers and foundations of the team.
It's not that Melksham doesn't still have some sort of possibility to turn things around. It's more that this situation has gone on too long and 96 games is simply too many chances. I'm all good for him to wait in the VFL to be a hard body back up for our inside mids, but i don't want him given any more 'speculative' opportunities.

What's so good about Jackson Merrett?

He has been shown up by the likes of Zach, Gleeson and Jackson

Has he? Zach looks a star in the making, but Gleeson and J. Merrett are still relative unknowns (though I think Gleeson is two or three games away from ending that mystery). Melksham is frustrating and inconsistent, but he's still shown a bit more than those two thus far - though I would not at all be surprised to see that change early year.

Has he? Zach looks a star in the making, but Gleeson and J. Merrett are still relative unknowns (though I think Gleeson is two or three games away from ending that mystery). Melksham is frustrating and inconsistent, but he's still shown a bit more than those two thus far - though I would not at all be surprised to see that change early year.

Absolutely. He has won close games off his own boot. He's bloody frustrating and he may start to run out of chances if he churns out the average performances from last year.

What's so good about Jackson Merrett?
Agree. I like J.Merrett, but I'm not sure how he can be compared with Melksham in that way at this point.
For starters check their stats. Despite Jackson only having played 28 games he still matches Melksham in all areas. Clearly the comparison is unfair at this point regardless because Melksham has had many more chances and has maturity on his side and even despite that, they are running even. This is without getting into the 'clanger' issue. It's also without getting into the expectations that you place on a player who is coming up to the 100 game mark.
Jackson remains an unknown quantity at this point, but he clearly deserves opportunities ahead of Melksham.

Yawn, the season hasn't even started and the haters are digging the boot in to one of their favourite whipping boys. This is pathetic.
and they are saying Gleeson, Zach and Jackson have done more, so much yawning.

Edit: Then reading the last page the poster refers to stats to back up his argument. So if they have the same averages then the guy who has done that for more time and longer would've shown/done more right? would've thought so

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and they are saying Gleeson, Zach and Jackson have done more, so much yawning.

Edit: Then reading the last page the poster refers to stats to back up his argument. So if they have the same averages then the guy who has done that for more time and longer would've shown/done more right? would've thought so
Well you thought wrong. Again. The stats reflect a decent output for a player in their first season or two (15 odd disposals etc), but a bad output if you happen to have played 5 seasons.
And Jesus, do you even read the posts? I said 'how does he get selected ahead of Gleeson, Jackson and Ashby'. My point being that those players deserve the chance to show what they can do, whereas Melksham has had more than his fair share of 'development' games.

Seems like a sort of guy who wants responsibility but when given it can't handle it.

Plays his best when he's a role player

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Didn't watch 2013 when Watson went down or cant remember? Guess who played career best footy in just their 4th season and came in our top 5 B&F and didn't we finish 6th on the ladder that year?
Well you thought wrong. Again. The stats reflect a decent output for a player in their first season or two (15 odd disposals etc), but a bad output if you happen to have played 5 seasons.
And Jesus, do you even read the posts? I said 'how does he get selected ahead of Gleeson, Jackson and Ashby'. My point being that those players deserve the chance to show what they can do, whereas Melksham has had more than his fair share of 'development' games.
Yeh nah V
He has been shown up by the likes of Zach, Gleeson and Jackson

Melksham stats are down due to having to play negating tagging roles which IMO don't really suit him although he has done some decent jobs on guys like Pendlebury. Hes best as an attacking footballer, his inside, contested work in 2013 was brilliant. Watch the round 9 game vs Sydney and everything after that in 2013.

Melksham had a slow start to his career and left it long enough for me to doubt he'd ever make it. Then he dominated the back half of 2013 while the team was collapsing around him and I had high hopes for him.

He was extremely disappointing last year.

If he does gets back to 2013 form and Myers continues to improve then we have a very deep midfield as Watson, Goddard, Heppell and Zaka are known qualities. With extra options from Melk, Myers and Colyer then I expect more output from Stanton. Add Hocking as a defensive mid and we're 9 deep. Cooney and Winderlich can rotate through there too.

Didn't watch 2013 when Watson went down or cant remember? Guess who played career best footy in just their 4th season and came in our top 5 B&F and didn't we finish 6th on the ladder that year?

Yeh nah V

Melksham stats are down due to having to play negating tagging roles which IMO don't really suit him although he has done some decent jobs on guys like Pendlebury. Hes best as an attacking footballer, his inside, contested work in 2013 was brilliant. Watch the round 9 game vs Sydney and everything after that in 2013.
No one is doubting that Melksham is fine if his second half of 2013 can be reproduced. But it is one half of a season out of 5 seasons and it is now a year in the past. The question is whether 2013 was an anomaly of rare form, or whether it was a sample of what he has to offer. He was given plenty of chances last season to regain form, which was in addition to all the game time he was gifted in previous years. As i keep saying, i'd be stoked if he can demand senior selection, but god help me, he has to actually demand it this time around. If it is development games that are being handed out, then he is now off that list.
As far as stats go, he has never gotten a lot of the ball even in 2013. It's not because of tagging roles which is something he hasn't done a heap of. Fact is he has always had plenty of very quiet games which is why he averages 15 disposals and is also why he has always copped criticism.

Your comment is pathetic. Name one aspect of my post that is inaccurate before you go calling me a hater.
Firstly, I didn't mention your name, or anyone else's for that matter.

Secondly, I'm certainly not going to prolong this discussion, other than to say I'm looking forward to seeing what he has worked on over the past 6 months and seeing what he can produce in 2015, as with every other player on our list.

Think you missed my point. He is a guy who plays well when not getting the main attention..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firstly, I didn't mention your name, or anyone else's for that matter.

Secondly, I'm certainly not going to prolong this discussion, other than to say I'm looking forward to seeing what he has worked on over the past 6 months and seeing what he can produce in 2015, as with every other player on our list.
Give me a break! I was the one pointing out his deficiencies and copping criticism as a result. If your comment wasn't directed at me then who the **** was it directed at??
I utterly agree with your second point and i'm really looking forward (and hoping for the best) to seeing what he can produce this year. I haven't written him off, i've simply come damn close. It's a statistical and logical analysis that has nothing to do with what i want and hope.

I honestly don't know what to think when it comes to Melksham. The contrast between the end of 2013 and 2014 was so stark that i really don't know what to expect from him in 2015. But reality is he had better perform because he's a senior player and he's been around for long enough that he needs to become a consistent player.

If he doesn't perform his career will probably echo Jetta's within the next year or two. I make the comparison with Jetta because he played a surprising number of games without ever feeling like he really cemented his spot as a consistent best 22 quality player.

That said I believe he can turn it around. I'd give him a shot in Hocking's role early in the season and see how he goes.

I honestly don't know what to think when it comes to Melksham. The contrast between the end of 2013 and 2014 was so stark that i really don't know what to expect from him in 2015. But reality is he had better perform because he's a senior player and he's been around for long enough that he needs to become a consistent player.

If he doesn't perform his career will probably echo Jetta's within the next year or two. I make the comparison with Jetta because he played a surprising number of games without ever feeling like he really cemented his spot as a consistent best 22 quality player.

That said I believe he can turn it around. I'd give him a shot in Hocking's role early in the season and see how he goes.
See that is where i get uncomfortable... I guess early season selection is largely based on preseason performance, so in that sense perhaps he can sneak into the team if he has been setting the track alight. But if he hasn't, then i don't want him getting a speculative game in place of Hocking, as I'd rather give the chance to one of the kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back