Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Emperor's new clothes files:

See below an apology to creatives from Apple and a withdrawl of their ad for the latest ipad.
Considering that they would have spent several million on creating this ad and that Apple approved it an apolgy isn't actually enough.
Obviously it is actually what they and most of Silicon valley do think of 'creatives' and this is why cultural creation, it's funding and art for arts sake is in the void.
"Sorry we missed the mark."

See below an apology to creatives from Apple and a withdrawl of their ad for the latest ipad.
Considering that they would have spent several million on creating this ad and that Apple approved it an apolgy isn't actually enough.
Obviously it is actually what they and most of Silicon valley do think of 'creatives' and this is why cultural creation, it's funding and art for arts sake is in the void.

The tone deaf marketing department fails to read the room.

Fractional compassion.

Going to burn through my 10 share articles a month from the NYTimes but I don't care as this story is well worth it.
I believe the woo woo that animals communicate to people that are open to dealing with them, as characters and not just plush toys that are alive or a problem.

Going to burn through my 10 share articles a month from the NYTimes but I don't care as this story is well worth it.
I believe the woo woo that animals communicate to people that are open to dealing with them, as characters and not just plush toys that are alive or a problem.

Miles is beautiful. Wonderful photo of him being good with his mother. Lovely, intelligent face.

The soppy wet pet gene runs strong and deep in my family and all my offspring have it too. At this very moment one of our cats has made himself very comfortable and exudes warmth and love on my lap. I can feel myself physically and mentally relax. I have no doubt that some people can really communicate with animals. And I'd love to be able to as much as them.

I saw this. Such hubris and ignorance.

I saw this. Such hubris and ignorance.
It pays to exploit, dismiss and demean.
In that order.
It's a process that we are seeing across the board.
It doesn't pay, then dismiss and demean it.
Happening to the ecology, history, sociology, people etc.
Why I called it the Emperors new clothes....Apple was just caught naked doing it...but they are not the only ones.
Monoculture is when everything is reduced to one value...that value is money.
If it is not worth any $ then it is not worth anything.
The education is almost complete.
There are a few outposts.
This is one.

Introducing a scale model for the RZSS complaints department, I'd say Apple scores a 14 Cave

pissed off cave.jpg

Last edited:
Word of the day: Grimalkin. Graymalkin old spelling.
("I come, Graymalkin." Shakespeare )

Thought of the day; Time is non linear.
(Each measure of time is a different time and the same time in the quantum realm.)

Song for the morning:
As all those excited molecules of the aurora australis dance around, don't fade away radiate.

4.00 a.m. Coolgardie
438173073_966851365443400_8366420485599220708_n.jpg

Last edited:
And are you a grimalkin Pamcake1?

There was a book we used to read to our offspring and the leading cat character was called Mother Grymalkin. Iirc it was called A Day At The Seaside and was written at the turn of the last century. It was very sweet. I must try to find it now amongst the squillions of books in the house.

And are you a grimalkin Pamcake1?

There was a book we used to read to our offspring and the leading cat character was called Mother Grymalkin. Iirc it was called A Day At The Seaside and was written at the turn of the last century. It was very sweet. I must try to find it now amongst the squillions of books in the house.
Which of the following answers is correct?
"Ask me not questions and I’ll tell you no lies."*
Only when I wash my hair on Saturdays and then it depends which way the wind blows.**
Not in this lifetime, the last or the next.
arthur Rackham 1920.jpg Illustration by Arthur Rackman.
*Attributed to the Irish playwright, Oliver Goldsmith, and his work, She Stoops to Conquer, written 1773
** Adaption of 'You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." Bob Dylan

Last edited:
Which of the following answers is correct?
"Ask me not questions and I’ll tell you no lies."*
Only when I was my hair on Saturdays and then it depends which way the wind blows.**
Not in this lifetime, the last or the next.
View attachment 1987794Illustration by Arthur Rackman.
*Attributed to the Irish playwright, Oliver Goldsmith, and his work, She Stoops to Conquer, written 1773
** Adaption of 'You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." Bob Dylan
I'd say that all three are correct. At any time.

And that's absolutely fine.

I'm off to be nice to people now. I've cleaned up the detritus of last night and done enough washing up for the moment. Whatever's left won't be running away anywhere before I get back.

Have a good one!

Word of the day: Grimalkin. Graymalkin old spelling.
("I come, Graymalkin." Shakespeare )
The Scottish Play!

Lady Macbeth ROCKS this play … up to a point, before Shakespeare loses his nerve, sends her mad and has her kill herself.

“Come, you spirits That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here, And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full Of direst cruelty. Make thick my blood. Stop up the access and passage to remorse, That no compunctious visitings of nature Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between The effect and it!” Act.1 Sc.5

Euripides, on the other hand, has Medea killing the kids, cursing Jason and riding off in a flaming chariot. A much stronger challenge to the Patriarchy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Scottish Play!

Lady Macbeth ROCKS this play … up to a point, before Shakespeare loses his nerve, sends her mad and has her kill herself.

“Come, you spirits That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here, And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full Of direst cruelty. Make thick my blood. Stop up the access and passage to remorse, That no compunctious visitings of nature Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between The effect and it!” Act.1 Sc.5

Euripides, on the other hand, has Medea killing the kids, cursing Jason and riding off in a flaming chariot. A much stronger challenge to the Patriarchy.
Indeed...the Tartan Tragedy!
Like Lady Macbeth I must be possesed by an educative Gramalkin as I've got up to this today in the quooty thread and I think it has a place here also, as a lesson in 'making it up as you go along for the sake of your own amusement'.
Behold the silliness:

The obedience training school seminar will be starting shortly, bought to you by our sponsors of the week
'Space Grimalkins R Us'.
Disobedience, in the eyes of.jpg
Seminar topics to include:
'From the Dummy to the Bottle; pacification of aggressive behaviour at feeding time.'
'Basic toilet training in the usage of AI; we know you can do it but there's a time and a place'.
'Playing Nice with Armaments & Incendiaries; judicious usage and preservation of own limbs.'
'Lead & Harness Training; how to walk without choking, how not to get overexcited when seeing the lead etc.'
'Separation Anxiety in Quooty; there's always next season, how and when to change clubs.'

images-6.jpg
'From the Dummy to the Bottle; pacification of aggressive behaviour at feeding time.'
First exercise:
Place food in bowl. Command Sit. Place bowl on ground while maintaining eye contact, with finger raised command Wait. Wait however long necessary for settling and then wave hand towards bowl and command Eat.
When animal has finished eating remove bowl and put away.
If animal makes a move before command then pick up bowl, say No firmly, command Sit and repeat from the top.
Only feed after human eating is finished.
Never feed from table and do not allow in house when human feeding times are happening.
Only ever feed in bowl and train to only accept food when in the bowl.
With multiples train individually first, in pack order and then introduce to group feeding by commanding Sit to all and placing bowls a minimum of one metre apart.
Make sure to watch that each eats only their own until all are finished and then bowls are put away.

Now for the Guest lecture:

download-1.jpg
'Basic toilet training in the usage of AI; we know you can do it but there's a time and a place'.

Exercise Two:
With the advent of AI and the training of older animals we reach a conundrum instantly of: can they do it and should they do it. Well they are going to do it whether you like it or not, so best prepare.
Keep in mind garbage in garbage out, illustrated above on the board.
What is digested can come out in a multiplicity of ways, as animals don't excrete on command nor necessarily in expected ways. Different breeds have different capacities, from the boisterous hound to the shy lap dog, all breeds are capable of producing. Some catch on faster than others, some are more observant, some need patient and continual redirection, just remember the aim is quality product over quantity.
Preparation is essential and you will require a large ground sheet to catch the excess, as well as a box of extra strength rubber gloves, size#8 spatular, all purpose tongs and refuse bags.
Now the secret to success is patience and a goodly dose of it.
Allow the animal privacy in doing their business, it can be difficult and anxiety is an ever present component.
Whatever the sounds coming from the room do not, I repeat do not disturb the animal.
Once the animal is finished they will let you know, either by exiting shamefaced with tail between their legs or as is most often as proud as punch with their production and wanting you to know it.
Enter the room very carefully having donned gloves and protective clothing beforehand.
Often there is a lingering odour depending on the effort extended, ventilate the room and using the tongs remove production to the groundsheet outside. Inspect carefully for parasites and other indications of corruption. If none then leave to dry in the sun otherwise dispose in refuse bags and burn later.
If your animal is of the primative mindset and doesn't want to engage in AI toilet training then that's ok too, They will in the fullness of time, let you know if they want to train sometime in the future and there's always plenty of time.

"Time is carving you, grasshopper. Let yourself be shaped according to your true nature." Master Po.

Inspirational film:

Last edited:
Indeed...the Tartan Tragedy!
Like Lady Macbeth I must be possesed by an educative Gramalkin as I've got up to this today in the quooty thread and I think it has a place here also as a lesson in 'making it up as you go along for the sake of your own amusement'.
Behold the silliness:

The obedience training school seminar will be starting shortly, bought to you by our sponsors of the week
'Space Grimalkins R Us'.
View attachment 1988051
Seminar topics to include:
'Playing Nice with Armaments & Incendiaries; judicious usage and preservation of own limbs.'
'Lead & Harness Training; how to walk without choking, how not to get overexcited when seeing the lead etc.'
'Separation Anxiety in Quooty; there's always next season, how and when to change clubs.'

View attachment 1988055
First exercise:
Place food in bowl. Command Sit. Place bowl on ground while maintaining eye contact, with finger raised command Wait. Wait however long necessary for settling and then wave hand towards bowl and command Eat.
When animal has finished eating remove bowl and put away.
If animal makes a move before command then pick up bowl, say No firmly, command Sit and repeat from the top.
Only feed after human eating is finished.
Never feed from table and do not allow in house when human feeding times are happening.
Only ever feed in bowl and train to only accept food when in the bowl.
With multiples train individually first, in pack order and then introduce to group feeding by commanding Sit to all and placing bowls a minimum of one metre apart.
Make sure to watch that each eats only their own until all are finished and then bowls are put away.

Now for the Guest lecture:

View attachment 1988056

Exercise Two:
With the advent of AI and the training of older animals we reach a conundrum instantly of: can they do it and should they do it. Well they are going to do it whether you like it or not, so best prepare.
Keep in mind garbage in garbage out, illustrated above on the board.
What is digested can come out in a multiplicity of ways, as animals don't excrete on command nor necessarily in expected ways. Different breeds have different capacities, from the boisterous hound to the shy lap dog, all breeds are capable of producing. Some catch on faster than others, some are more observant, some need patient and continual redirection, just remember the aim is quality product over quantity.
Preparation is essential and you will require a large ground sheet to catch the excess, as well as a box of extra strength rubber gloves, size#8 spatular, all purpose tongs and refuse bags.
Now the secret to success is patience and a goodly dose of it.
Allow the animal privacy in doing their business, it can be difficult and anxiety is an ever present component.
Whatever the sounds coming from the room do not, I repeat do not disturb the animal.
Once the animal is finished they will let you know, either by exiting shamefaced with tail between their legs or as is most often as proud as punch with their production and wanting you to know it.
Enter the room very carefully having donned gloves and protective clothing beforehand.
Often there is a lingering odour depending on the effort extended, ventilate the room and using the tongs remove production to the groundsheet outside. Inspect carefully for parasites and other indications of corruption. If none then leave to dry in the sun otherwise dispose in refuse bags and burn later.
If your animal is of the primative mindset and doesn't want to engage in AI toilet training then that's ok to, They will in the fullness of time, let you know if they want to train sometime in the future and there's always plenty of time.

"Time is carving you, grasshopper. Let yourself be shaped according to your true nature." Master Po.

Inspirational film:

There are not enough positive emoji’s Pamcake1. Instead you get a song …

‘Man Smart (Woman Smarter)’

Semantics and Semiotics Files:

I have been waiting for sign that someone else is so over the word 'journey' as metaphor.
Today in the NYTimes we have it in an article by Lisa Miller titled 'When Did Everything Become a ‘Journey’?'.
It is not possible to post the entire article as I have burned through my 10 shares for the month, instead I have taken the guts of the article below for salient points.
Like the monoculture as a result of attrition in the music biz the same in language.
'Right-speak' =reductive monocultural communication.
"I've heard it all before." The drone of messaging in a flat landscape.
Switch off your brain and attention on pilot light....whatever.
Create nothing of individuality, lest you be misunderstood, the listener is only listening for the general signposts of messaging.
Skating over the surface of understanding nowhere near the thin ice of engagement that might ask for effort.
My tragectory through linguistic communication often bumpy, always textural, somewhat idiosyncratic propelled by a desire to construct edifices of both self interest and entertainment, is and has always been novel.
My Mother calls me Ms Malaprop at times, as she has been witness to my travels and adventures in often missing the target as I was aiming at another, indeed the gardener of note and cook of confection. We talk still about much and such.

Article.
"According to the linguistics professor Jesse Egbert at Northern Arizona University, the use of “journey” (the noun) has nearly doubled in American English since 1990, with the most frequent instances occurring online. Mining a new database of conversational American English he and colleagues are building, Egbert could show exactly how colloquial “journey” has become: One woman in Pennsylvania described her “journey to become a morning person,” while another, in Massachusetts, said she was “on a journey of trying to like fish.”

Egbert was able to further demonstrate how the word itself has undergone a transformative journey — what linguists call “semantic drift.” It wasn’t so long ago that Americans mostly used “journey” to mean a literal trip, whereas now it’s more popular as a metaphor. Egbert demonstrated this by searching the more than one billion words in a database called COCA for the nouns people put before “journey” to clarify what sort they’re on. Between 1990 and 2005, the most common modifier was “return,” followed by words like “ocean,” “train,” “mile,” “night,” “overland,” and “bus.”
But between 2006 and 2019, usage shifted. “Return” remains the most common noun modifier to journey, but now it’s followed closely by “faith,” “cancer,” and “life.” Among the top 25 nouns used to modify “journey” today are: “soul,” “adoption,” and “hair.”

In almost every language, “journey” has become a way to talk abstractly about outcomes, for good reason: According to what linguists call the “primary metaphor theory,” humans learn as babies crawling toward their toys that “‘purpose’ and ‘destination’ coincide,” said Elena Semino, a linguist at Lancaster University who specializes in metaphor. As we become able to accomplish our goals while sitting still (standardized tests! working from home!), ambition and travel diverge. Yet we continue to envision achievement as a matter of forward progress. This is why we say, “‘I know what I want, but I don’t know how to get there,’” Semino explained. “Or ‘I’m at a crossroads.’”

So it’s not surprising, perhaps, that as Americans started seeing good health as a desirable goal, achievable through their own actions and choices — and marketers encouraged these pursuits and commodified them — the words “journey” and “health” became inextricably linked. In 1898, C.W. Post wrote a pamphlet he called “The Road to Wellville,” which he attached to each box of his new product, Grape-Nuts. In 1926, the Postum Cereal Company republished the pamphlet as a small book, now with the subtitle, “A Personally Conducted Journey to the Land of Good Health by the Route of Right Living.”

The language (and business) of self-help so completely saturates culture, “it gets kind of hard to trace where a word started and where it came from,” said Jessica Lamb-Shapiro, author of “Promise Land: My Journey Through America’s Self-Help Culture.” Americans like to put an optimistic, brave spin on suffering, and “journey” seeped in because, Lamb-Shapiro speculated, it’s bland enough to “tackle really difficult things,” yet positive enough to “make them palatable and tolerable.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/10/arts/music/andra-day-cassandra-cherith-review.html
“Journey” had fully entered medical speak by the 2010s. Many cancer patients recoiled from the “battle” language traditionally used by doctors, as well as by friends and relatives. In “Illness as Metaphor,” Susan Sontag had noted back in 1978 that “every physician and every attentive patient is familiar with, if perhaps inured to, this military terminology.” But now, opposition to the notion of disease as an enemy combatant reached a crescendo. To reflexively call an experience of cancer a battle created “winners” and “losers,” where death or long suffering represented a failure — of will, strength, determination, diet, behavior, or outlook — on the part of the patient.

Many patients “detest” the military metaphor, Robert Miller conceded in Oncology Times in 2010. Knowing this, Miller, then a breast cancer oncologist affiliated with Johns Hopkins, said he struggled to find the right words in composing a condolence note to a patient’s spouse. “I welcome suggestions,” he wrote.
“Journey” seemed less judgmental, more neutral. In Britain, the National Health Service had started to almost exclusively use “journey” language in reference to cancer (treatments were “pathways”). Semino, the metaphor expert whose father had died of cancer at a time when patients’ diagnoses were hidden from them, wanted to examine how patients talked about it — and whether that language caused them harm. In a research paper Semino published with colleagues in 2015, she looked at how patients talked about their cancer on forums online and found that they still used “battle” as often as they did “journey,” and that “journey” could be disempowering, as well.

For some people, talking about cancer as a “journey” gave them a sense of control and camaraderie — buddies traveling the same path — but others used the term to convey their exhaustion. Having cancer “is like trying to drive a coach and horses uphill with no back wheels on the coach,” one man wrote. Patients used “journey” to describe just how passive they felt or how reluctant to bear the burden of their disease. Separately, patients have told Semino how much they hate the word “journey,” saying it trivializes their experience, that it’s clichéd.
But it was too late: The metaphor already was everywhere.

In 2014, Anna Wintour was asked which word she would like to banish from the fashion lexicon and she said, “journey.” The following year, Yolanda Foster, the mother of Gigi and Bella Hadid, told People magazine that while she was on her Lyme disease journey, two of her children were afflicted, too. Medical journals and government publications began describing insomnia, the effort to achieve health-care reform, diabetes, and the development of RSV vaccines as a journey. The term “healing journey,” in use since at least the mid-2010s, blew up around 2021. The phrase in news media referenced the experience of cancer, celebrity weight loss, trafficking of Indigenous children, Sean Combs’s creative process, spa vacations, amputation, and better sex.

On the Reddit channel Chronic Illness, one poster eloquently fumed that persistent sickness is not a journey. “It’s endless, pointless and repetitive. There’s no new ground to gain here.” The cultural insistence on illness as a journey, from which a traveler can learn useful, or even life-changing lessons, becomes something to “disassociate from, survive, endure.” It “causes social isolation.”'

My Book Recommendation:
I read this in 1989 when published.
A slim informative volume, that was sorely needed then, as the political freight of dealing with the topic of AIDS in the USA was highly weaponised. A lead on from the previous and cited 'Illness as a Metaphor'.
The other recommendation, for delight in semiotics, would be read anything by Roland Bathes.
il_680x540.4311285401_smjh.jpg
(Semiotics is the study of signs, and semantics is the study of their meaning. Belt and braces!)

Thank you Pamcake1 for your morning information.

I do try to eradicate the cliches from my speech and typing, but they're pretty heavily ingrained as I appear to absorb them by osmosis.

This is my reading for the week. It's funny, informative and very readable.

1000010911.jpg
Have a great day.

Thank you Pamcake1 for your morning information.

I do try to eradicate the cliches from my speech and typing, but they're pretty heavily ingrained as I appear to absorb them by osmosis.

This is my reading for the week. It's funny, informative and very readable.

View attachment 1988556
Have a great day.
Love David Mitchell. Especially in Peep Show. Ooo I have to see if the library will eventually get it in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back