Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2004519
This EP by New Order, released in November 1982 is one of their best and certainly one of my most loved records of the decade. Seeing Peter Hook and The Light on Sunday night brought so many happy memories back. It has been on high rotation since.

Have a great night. I've seen him twice now. First time did the Joy Division set, then the New Order set. Second time around the order was reversed and I think it worked better. Last song was Love Will Tear Us Apart and all the audience sang along.

I was lucky enough to meet him first time around. Lovely bloke.

Have a great night. I've seen him twice now. First time did the Joy Division set, then the New Order set. Second time around the order was reversed and I think it worked better. Last song was Love Will Tear Us Apart and all the audience sang along.

I was lucky enough to meet him first time around. Lovely bloke.
I’ve seen Peter Hook on his last two tours and would go back again. There was a lot of love in The Forum for him.

Compare the pair (Baddonk I know.)
A cocktail version and the original.
And the last song posted is what I woke up singing from sleep radio...with the first official day of Winter around the corner I am known for being impatient.

Last edited:
I just finished a short Unit on Protest Music with my Year 12’s. I’ll post the playlist I made when I get to work.

In the meantime … into the Tardis and back to the year I was in Grade 6.

I just finished a short Unit on Protest Music with my Year 12’s. I’ll post the playlist I made when I get to work.

In the meantime … into the Tardis and back to the year I was in Grade 6.

Geez, I remember that.

The dulcet tones of Leonard Teale. I'd recognise his voice anywhere.

Protest songs of note:

Protest Playlist

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit
Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come
James Brown - Say It Loud - I’m Black and I’m Proud (Part 2)
The Beatles - All You Need Is Love
Country Joe McDonald - I Feel Like I’m Fixing To Die Rag
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Ohio
Helen Reddy - I Am Woman
Tom Robinson Band - Glad To Be Gay
Billy Bragg - Help Save The Youth of America
The Specials - Nelson Mandela
Artists Against Apartheid - Sun City
Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning
Yothu Yindi - Treaty

I gave this to the kids, we played them, discussed and then they had to find their own. We played theirs in class too. Much fun.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMG_0266.png

First Pamcake1 gives us her FANTASTIC FRIDAY FIVE PLAY to start to the day and then this news out of the U.S.

I think this is appropriate given the turn of events.

NY TIMES:
Michael Gold
May 30, 2024, 5:56 p.m. ET17 minutes ago
17 minutes ago
Michael Gold
Reporting on the Trump campaign
Just minutes after the verdict was announced, the Trump campaign sent out a fund-raising email in which Trump said, in all capital letters, “I am a political prisoner!”

The Trump Hush-Money Verdict ›

Guilty on 34 counts​

• 11 counts related to invoices
  • 12 counts related to ledger entries
  • 11 counts related to checks

Maggie Haberman
May 30, 2024, 5:52 p.m. ET21 minutes ago
21 minutes ago
Maggie Haberman
Reporting from inside the courthouse
The atmosphere in lower Manhattan as Trump’s motorcade pulls out is chaotic. Some people are fist-pumping happily, but mostly it seems like a moment of anxiety.
30trump-update-protest-bhql-articleLarge.jpg

Credit...Todd Heisler/The New York Times
Shawn McCreesh
May 30, 2024, 5:56 p.m. ET17 minutes ago
17 minutes ago
Shawn McCreesh
Reporting from outside the courthouse
The many Trump supporters who populated the park across the street from the courthouse all week long are nowhere to be seen. The police presence is greatly increased, but it’s mostly members of the media and a few curious locals.
Jonah Bromwich
May 30, 2024, 5:47 p.m. ET26 minutes ago
26 minutes ago
Jonah Bromwich
Alvin Bragg, the Manhattan district attorney, will hold a news conference at 6:30 to discuss the verdict.
Maggie Haberman
May 30, 2024, 5:47 p.m. ET26 minutes ago
26 minutes ago
Maggie Haberman
One thing important to keep in mind: the Trump team often has a playbook for spinning news and what will happen, an approach that starts with the candidate himself. They’d predicted a hung jury as a strong possibility, their allies put out word that one juror was making affirming eye contact with a Trump supporter who attended the trial, and so forth.
In the end, it took this jury less than two full days to convict on all counts. By following this playbook, Trump's team can usually create enough confusion to leave people questioning outcomes. Not so with a jury verdict.
Zolan Kanno-Youngs
May 30, 2024, 5:42 p.m. ET31 minutes ago
31 minutes ago
Zolan Kanno-Youngs
Reporting on the Biden administration
While the Biden campaign responds to the guilty verdict by encouraging people to vote, the Biden White House is choosing to keep its reactions to a minimum. “We respect the rule of law, and have no additional comment,” said Ian Sams, a spokesman for the White House Counsel’s Office. President Biden is currently in Rehoboth Beach, Del., with his family. He has no public appearances on his schedule the rest of the day.

Michael Grynbaum

May 30, 2024, 5:41 p.m. ET32 minutes ago
32 minutes ago
Michael Grynbaum
Reporting on the news media
On CNN, Jake Tapper soberly read aloud each of the guilty counts. He called the verdict “an unbelievable moment in American history,” but added, “For those wondering about the political consequences of these 34 guilty verdicts, the short answer is, nobody has any idea. Period.”
Ken Bensinger
May 30, 2024, 5:41 p.m. ET32 minutes ago
32 minutes ago
Ken Bensinger
Reporting on the 2024 election
Tucker Carlson responded to today’s verdict in what can only be described as an apocalyptic tone, stating on X that the jury’s decision marked “the end of the fairest justice system in the world.” The former Fox News host said that Trump would still win the election “if he’s not killed first,” and closed by saying that “anyone who defends this verdict is a danger to you and your family.”
Nicholas Nehamas
May 30, 2024, 5:38 p.m. ET35 minutes ago
35 minutes ago
Nicholas Nehamas
Shortly after Trump’s guilty verdict was read aloud in court, President Biden posted a fundraising appeal on X from his campaign account: “There’s only one way to keep Donald Trump out of the Oval Office: At the ballot box,” Biden wrote. “Donate to our campaign today.”
Shane Goldmacher
May 30, 2024, 5:39 p.m. ET35 minutes ago
35 minutes ago
Shane Goldmacher
The WinRed portal that Trump’s campaign uses to process campaign donations appears to have gone offline shortly after his guilty verdict.
Michael Grynbaum

35 minutes ago
Michael Grynbaum
MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow said the jury “deserves to be thanked for their efforts,” and warned that Trump and his allies would try to seed doubts about the guilty verdict, calling it a test “of the rule of law in our country.”

Michael Grynbaum

35 minutes ago
Michael Grynbaum
Fox News pundits quickly denounced the verdict on air. “It’s inconceivable in New York that anyone else other than Donald Trump would be indicted in this way,” said Andy McCarthy, a legal analyst. Jeanine Pirro called the case “riddled with errors” and declared, “We have gone over a cliff in America.”

Good evening lovely people.

Many thanks for putting me onto Yo La Tengo. My fantastic public libraries service came through with two albums. Stuff Like That There came first, and I'd say that it's pretty unfair to judge a band on an album like this: it would be like judging Bowie on Pin Ups or Gabriel on Scratch My Back. But I really liked Rickety and Awhileaway, so I was looking forward to today when I could collect This Stupid World.

And I love it. Has a real Thurston Moore/Sonic Youth feel which I like, but it's just a really engaging album.

I'll get around to listening to more of their stuff soon. I refuse to have Spotify so I'll think my way through it.

Have a great weekend, folks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back