Universal Love 2. Dylan Grimes Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of column A and a bit from column B.

Age is deteriorating his one on one game and at times he’s trying sly old tricks that makes it an even contest. But he’s being caught with this a lot now and it costs us goals. With 4 umpires backman like Grimes just don’t have a hope in hell of getting away with this stuff anymore.

Also Melbournes ball movement yesterday made our whole defence look slow to get back. He wasn’t the only one caught out of position. Wasn’t able to play his game at all yesterday.

Will be much better against teams in bottom 8. But the top tier teams are troubling grimes.

His biggest asset was his speed, he’s aged and is a tad slower but he’s still a good defender, don’t think he’s elite anymore though

I’m calling it, 2023 will be his final season

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

His biggest asset was his speed, he’s aged and is a tad slower but he’s still a good defender, don’t think he’s elite anymore though

I’m calling it, 2023 will be his final season

His marking was quite good too 2021. 2022 he Tarrant and Gibcus new to the club. Balta and Baker back in defence. Rioli new in the backlin A very green miller too.
Vlas and Broad were the only consistents and Broad seemed to take the intercept role. Grimes was injured a bit and did a few dumb things..
Plus new captaincy.

I was hoping that he'd worked through that. Mind you I haven't seen any preseason games.

Last edited:
Was at the game, I think he’s still got his speed and a couple of times attacked the ball in the air well.
They all looked about 10sec behind the game down there, they’ll come good if we can get Tarant on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% He plays in 2024

We will have Trent , Jack , Tarrant , Castagna all retiring
We dont need to lose another leader and we need him another year so Brown & Gibcus mature and are ready
Yeah fair enough but we still have plenty of leaders at the club, Nank, Lynch, Prestia, Rioli, Vlastuin & even Dusty I know fans don't see him as a leader but inside the walls they do say he has leadership.

Can’t have too much experience and leadership leave at once
Is he's leadership helping us win games though or improve our defenders? I know he is inj at the moment but we really need Gibcus & Balta playing together a lot next season.

Yeah fair enough but we still have plenty of leaders at the club, Nank, Lynch, Prestia, Rioli, Vlastuin & even Dusty I know fans don't see him as a leader but inside the walls they do say he has leadership.
Retiree's 2023
Riewoldt - Castagna - Cotchin - Tarrant

Grimes

Prestia - Dusty - Pickett

Lynch - Broad - McIntosh

Just my opinion

There is talk he wants to play on & in talks with Richmond to play on in 2024..

I'm going to be honest not sure he should play on he has gone worse every year since 2020.

Grimes grabs Jack Dyer Medal​

Triple Richmond premiership star defender Dylan Grimes has won the 2021 Jack Dyer Medal.

yeah 2021 was a real stinker 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Worst Year Ever GIF by MOODMAN

To be fair to Grimes last year he was smashed with injuries. Our midfield was so shite our backline was bombed more than Pearl Harbour. He's in his twilight and at full strength with Gibcus, Tarrant and Broad in the team he should be taking an easier opponent to concentrate on leadership. I love Grimesy, he cost nothing as a rookie, his luck with injuries nearly ended his career but he put in the hard yards. Compare him to his brother a highly touted low draft pick who barely scraped in 100 nothing games.

Last edited:
There is talk he wants to play on & in talks with Richmond to play on in 2024..

I'm going to be honest not sure he should play on he has gone worse every year since 2020.
Based on 2023 form, that's a big no.
Retire with a little bit of dignity.
Form has been going steadily backwards for 3 years now.

Four games out of 23 and you're ready to knife the club captain. Steady on.

Won the 2021 Jack Dyer Medal 18 months ago and had injuries last year. Bloody champion who if he gets a clean run at it will be fine.

Screenshot_20230413-165244.png

Last edited:

His defending has been fine this season. His ball use and decision making has been terrible. I’d be more concerned if his direct opponent was dominating which isn’t happening.

The decision making and ball use can be rectified easily, inability to defend, not so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2. Dylan Grimes Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back