Universal Love 2. Dylan Grimes Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I've never been a fan of Co-captains the buck stops with Captain the other can muddle the message & undermine you.

The fact we went with that proves the club wasn't fully confident in either of players fully as a leader.
They leave it to the players and the vote was split from what they said but I agree on one Captain, how can you possibly have two real Captains makes no sense.

A retirement now probably *s us more than anything as we’ve already planned for his salary into the cap

Screwed either way

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'd guess he would be able to accept less if it's his choice...

Not saying he would by the way, but even if he takes half, we squeeze some of Tom's money in a year earlier to get it off the books faster

I reckon Dylan knows his time is also up, but the club will be egging him on to do another year.

Half the problem is those making list decisions at the club.
His form wasn't even good earlier in the year when he was signed up, I don't get why we sign players up early in the year, in less form is amazing & they a future star of the club.

Last edited:
Grimesy was my main man even with Dusty and the likes just loved his commitment so skillful just reminded me of the 70 the hard player that did his job and like a Bourke went over and beyond than some of the Cats running around today. But watching him and last year and this year I just can't watch him struggling like he is I want to remember him at his best.
I hope for his sake and mine he pulls the plug.

it doesnt make sense to have an older player in your team that makes you more vulnerable to being beaten

I dont want another year of being frustrated with a player that was a big part of the premierships.

Surely he is playing out this year because there is no one else. He knows football too well to not see that he is a liability to the side

A retirement now probably *s us more than anything as we’ve already planned for his salary into the cap

Screwed either way

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If his cap stays on the books, may as well keep him on the list, and talk to him that he'll be effectively a playing mentor and coach for the team and in the VFL and not many AFL games, either that or he accepts to restructure his deal we don't have anything on the books next year.

it doesnt make sense to have an older player in your team that makes you more vulnerable to being beaten

I dont want another year of being frustrated with a player that was a big part of the premierships.

Surely he is playing out this year because there is no one else. He knows football too well to not see that he is a liability to the side
He needs to look at how Astbury went out he could have played on but he knew he couldn't do what the team needed so he pulled the pin & went out with a lot of credibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparing his career with his brother Jack (1st round selection) Dylan (Rookie) has been humungous. Overcoming all the radical Dr Frankenstein calf's blood treatments into a gun reliable defender who could take in form talls or smalls and shut them down getting the job done week in week out. Going on another year is a complete farce as he's now a complete liability with zero tricks and realistically could've been pinged a few more times for impeding his opponents today.

Been poor to putrid all year, realistically should be tapped on the shoulder and told times up. Only thing that makes sense is he was loyal probably on low wages and clubs looked after him by giving him another year as superannuation. Really wish they'd instead direct a heap of corporate functions to his winery cos blind Freddie can see Grimes being the new whipping boy if he gets regular senior games next year. Gibcus, Brown and Trezise need to be persisted with. Grimes was a warrior but now is beyond cooked.

It’ll be interesting if he decides to hang them up over the off season. I know he signed a deal but he could do a castagna.
Gibcus , Young Brown and Tresize all have to play next year. Rioli and Short are still gun small backs and Broady and Vlastuins form is still best 22.
That leaves Grimes outside our best 8 defenders ( and haven’t included Bakes and Balta in the list).

He is a liability, beaten all year yes he got an unlucky trip that wasn't paid, but he still had a poor game & Willie Rioli isn't the quickest small going around & Grimes panicked several times like he has this year & gave away easy free kicks which is usually a sign you know your past it.

It’ll be interesting if he decides to hang them up over the off season. I know he signed a deal but he could do a castagna.
As long as it’s apart of his contract, he won’t be gifted games etc. I could deal with that.

Arguably the most reliable defender in the game at his peak, has now become a liability.

Very sad and dramatic drop off in the space of 18 months.

Can't lose all our experience and leadership in one hit but I do really worry what 2024 looks like for him, I dont think he will be genuine best 22 but I feel like he'll get games anyway.
Tricky situation with what to do with him, the bloke is our current cocaptain FFS but is probably due to hang them up.

Arguably the most reliable defender in the game at his peak, has now become a liability.

Very sad and dramatic drop off in the space of 18 months.

Can't lose all our experience and leadership in one hit but I do really worry what 2024 looks like for him, I dont think he will be genuine best 22 but I feel like he'll get games anyway.
Tricky situation with what to do with him, the bloke is our current cocaptain FFS but is probably due to hang them up.
That's the worry. the next coach has to have selection integrity. McQualter would continue to gift him games in 2024 IMO.

His little tantrum really pissed me off. He was our captain last year ffs.

Given where our list is at, I just don't see the point in playing him over someone like Brown. Even if Brown's output is slightly lower, at least we're getting development time into him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2. Dylan Grimes Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back